vCash

2010-11 Skate Canada National Team(s)

Copied over from the U.S. envelopes thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    The 2010-2011 Canadian team is up. They will not be naming a junior team this year.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/athlete...TOKEN=72103134
    Why won't a Junior team be named for the coming season?

vCash
    Nine singles skaters (ages 13-16) will participate in the 2010 National Development Camp, April 23-25, in Toronto -- link to press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_vi...0/apr19-10.cfm

ETA -- the 9 are:
    Kimberly Moon-Chong, 13 [N1]
    Natasha Purich, 14 [N2]
    Jane Gray, 15 [N3]
    Rachel Greben, 13 [N4]
    Eri Nishimura, 15 [J1]
    Samuel Angers, 16 [N2]
    Peter O'Brien, 15 [N3]
    Shane Firus, 16 [N7]
    Jack Kermezian, 16 [N5]
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-20-2010 at 04:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No idea why, it's just what is says on their website.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/athlete...ete_selection/

Junior National Team
    The Junior National Team is made up of athletes that placed in the top five in Singles, Pair and Dance at the BMO Junior Canadian Championships.

As of the 2010/2011 season only the National Team will be named.

vCash
    Perhaps SC doesn't want Jr assignments to be limited to just the few who place well at Nationals. Given how skaters can change so much between Junior and Senior, this might not be a bad idea as some lower ranked skaters 'blossom' and show promise missing almost a year earlier.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I guess that squashes the Craig Buntin retirement rumors (for now), since he and Meagan are listed. YAY!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I guess that squashes the Craig Buntin retirement rumors (for now), since he and Meagan are listed. YAY!!
    It looks like they've just listed the top 5 finishers in each discipline from Nationals. It doesn't mean they're all continuing; there may be retirements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Copied over from the U.S. envelopes thread:

I believe it has to do with the changes to the competition structure arising from the new LTAD model.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    It looks like they've just listed the top 5 finishers in each discipline from Nationals. It doesn't mean they're all continuing; there may be retirements.
    Does anyone know if the vacant spots left by the retiring teams/skaters will be filled?
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Does this mean Kate Charobonneau will be doing another season as a junior? I assumed she'd be moving up to the senior level where she is 17 but I guess not.

vCash
    Charbonneau has nothing to gain from moving up at this point, IMO. Doing another season of the JGP, coming in as a "name" and improving her consistency with the harder jumps will help her a lot, I think. As nice as her skating is, artistically she's rather bland, so she can grow as a performer as well - she certainly has the potential. If she did the GP, she'd be stuck with bad draws and low PCS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Charbonneau has nothing to gain from moving up at this point, IMO. Doing another season of the JGP, coming in as a "name" and improving her consistency with the harder jumps will help her a lot, I think. As nice as her skating is, artistically she's rather bland, so she can grow as a performer as well - she certainly has the potential. If she did the GP, she'd be stuck with bad draws and low PCS.
    True. I just see her as a better skater than Szmiett and Samson at this point, even though they beat her at nationals.

vCash
    Charbonneau is 47th on the ISU World Standings list and 39th on the Seasons Best list. She would be unlikely to receive GP invitations anyway. She can accrue better standings and more ISU points on the JGP circuit while working on presentation, and she might make it to the JGPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    i thought that too then I remembered the announcements right before the season began =( I have a sneaky feeling he is not coming back but I hope I am wrong!

vCash
    Why rumours? Craig Buntin has confirmed his retirement after the Olympic season a while ago. In fact, I don't think that he ever intended to compete beyond 2012 and it's something Meagan has been aware of all along.

From what I heard, Duhamel has teamed up with Eric Radford.

Top 5 finishers from Canadian Nationals have been simply listed. It'll surely be amended eventually.

vCash
    I hope Shawn Sawyer stayyyyssssss.. pleaseeeeeeeeeee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    No idea why, it's just what is says on their website.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/athlete...ete_selection/
    If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, there's a note as follows:

* Effective the 2010/2011 season, the Junior National Team will no longer be selected as per our new competition structure and focus on long-term athlete development.

vCash
    I wasn't sure what thread to put this in....Patrick Chan has entered both SP and FS at Liberty (July 16-17, Aston, PA), where he's competed for the past few years. I was hoping he'd still come even though he's in CO now (Christy Krall and Lori Nichol are listed as his coaches). Of course, he might have to scratch from one or both, depending on the status of his programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I wasn't sure what thread to put this in....Patrick Chan has entered both SP and FS at Liberty (July 16-17, Aston, PA),
    Cool! I was going to start a general information thread for U.S. club competitions this weekend in the Kiss and Cry section, actually!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I wasn't sure what thread to put this in....Patrick Chan has entered both SP and FS at Liberty (July 16-17, Aston, PA), where he's competed for the past few years. I was hoping he'd still come even though he's in CO now (Christy Krall and Lori Nichol are listed as his coaches). Of course, he might have to scratch from one or both, depending on the status of his programs.
    The prelim schedule doesn't give times, but do you have any idea when the senior men have typically gone in the past? I'm taking a huge all-day boards exam the 17th but catching a sneak peak at Chan might help my brain recover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    The prelim schedule doesn't give times, but do you have any idea when the senior men have typically gone in the past? I'm taking a huge all-day boards exam the 17th but catching a sneak peak at Chan might help my brain recover.
    Senior Men is usually in the middle of the aftn - around 2 to 4 or so. The final schedule should be available about 3 weeks before the comp.

vCash
    And I don't know where to put this, but someone elsewhere said there's going to be a Skate Canada presser in Victoria next week, with JoRo & Cynthia in attendance. Infer what you will from that.

(And Sylvia, I look forward to upcoming news re: SkateDetroit entrants too. )