Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post

Also, we've been spoiled by a few super flexible skaters to think that spiral = splits (180 degrees), when the edging and body position and steadiness of the blade on the ice are all tremendously important parts of a spiral. And I would hardly call this or this "barely above hip level."
    I don't really think spirals have to be in a split position in order to be aesthetically-pleasing and I greatly value edge control and speed over flexibility. However, the bodylines of Kim's and Rochette's are pretty hideous.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I think Joannie's spirals are lovely. Yu-Na DESPERATELY needs to learn how to stretch her leg and point her toe--drives me nuts!!

vCash
    I can't believe some girls don't lock the leg and point their toes. It's not just about flexibility, it's about holding the position and making it look attractive. Bent knees and hanging feet are not pretty. Joannie sometimes does this, but Yu-na does it all the time. It drives me crazy too. Joannie's look quite lovely in person, much better than in photos or in television. I wonder why.

I like the idea of no required SpSq for ladies, so they can do them but do them well instead of having to contort themselves for level fours.

vCash
    I don't mind spiral sequences in the SP. SPs are designed to have elements listed so judges can compare skaters based on those specific elements.

However, the LP needs to get rid of the spiral sequences because they're really pointless. Allow skaters to do spirals within the program when it makes sense with the music and choreography.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    That (spiral sequence required in the SP, not in the LP) been exactly the situation for junior ladies for the last two years or so. Does that work for you?

vCash
    Yes, I believe so.

vCash
    I love Speed and edge's in Spirals.
    never really cared much about point toes.

vCash
    it's not really about pointed toes even. a lot of these ppl have great speeds but their body lines (as has been said) are bad. so it's like they're gliding along awkwardly with their knees bent and their legs looking out of place and quivering/wobbling without security. the spiral is supposed to be majestic but in those instances it just looks awkward lol

vCash
    IMO someone can have a full split in their spiral and it still not look pretty. I think it all has to do with the stretch in their back. It looks so much better when the chest is upright and ur in a split. Ya if ur bending more at the neck then ur back not so pretty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12