Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    I never think twice about dropping $100 for a good meal and I hardly ever buy clothes more than $100. But that's just me. DH laughs at me saying: other girls go for brand names but at least at the end of the day they have something to show for. All your money goes straight to your tummy!

Anyway, I think $70 is quite an expensive amount for an event like this without consulting everyone. So I think your sister is a little inconsiderate.

Before the economic downturn, my company used to have really generous travel allowances where breakfast was up to $35, lunch $45 and dinner $65 per head. It was great if there were a group of us were traveling together. My coworkers and I would go to the best restaurant in town and order the most expensive items (filet mignon, lobster ...) on the menu, with appetizers, red and white wine, desert samplers and all that jazz. We ate to the brim, gave a huge tip and never went over $65 per head.

So anyway, I have to say $70 is a quite a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    This could be a fun game. I'll go first. Is it the Hotel Windsor?
    Correct - you get a gold star!!!

We don't have a star emoticon so you can have a pony instead.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Correct - you get a gold star!!!

We don't have a star emoticon so you can have a pony instead.
    This was the 30 dollar afternoon tea at The Windsor I had in 1997. Wow, talk about inflation. Anyone thinking of going had better eat big before hand. They don't feed you anything!!

vCash
    Yum, it's got a dessert buffet!

If enough people weren't willing to pay, it wouldn't be offered. Hotels don't loose money on their restaurants.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    So on weekends when it's $69, you get the tea service (sparkling wine, tea/coffee, scones, pastries, and finger sandwiches) AND a chocolate or ice cream buffet? Yum!

And looking at the menu...there is a crapload of labor involved in that from the kitchen's end if all that is made in-house. The easiest thing on there is the scones, and that involves prep and bake time so you have your baker there, your pastry shop (when they'd do baking and construction would depend on what they're serving and how much of it's in-house...the thought of making my own puff paste...well, I can do it,but....) and then you have the $#*%& finger sandwiches. When it's for a $49-69 service those had better be PERFECT meaning that is a LOT of prep and assembly labor and HUGE potential for waste because there will be stuff that's EDIBLE, but you can't send it out because it's not PRETTY and when people pay $69 for a tea it had better be PRETTY. And those are expensive ingredients. The buffet is adding more cost as they have to allow for lost/wasted product. Actually all of it's got potential for waste--some of the pastries might be able to hold over until the next day but the scones and sandwiches aren't. You have to do a lot of careful planning on amounts or you're going to end up with wasted product if you overprep.

Then you've got your normal service staff, linen, wash costs, your flowers or other table/buffet decor, and all the normal overhead. Really, the hotel is probably not making a huge profit on this. They would need a decent volume to make it work.

Really, as a consumer I love the idea of afternoon tea, but from the food-service end it makes me want to cry. That's a lot of labor.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    So what's wrong with buying clothes at WalMart...?
    Polyester rash.
    general crazy atmosphere.
    clothes that shrink and last only a few washings.
    slave labor.
    child labor. [...]
    You have a proof that Walmart does it, and it's only Walmart? Because I've seen a lot of clothes "Made in China/India/etc." at Bloomingdale's, too. But we are sure they pay the workers a decent wage and all of none of them are children, right? Bloomindale's wouldn't do that, would they? It's only the evil Walmart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    You have a proof that Walmart does it, and it's only Walmart? Because I've seen a lot of clothes "Made in China/India/etc." at Bloomingdale's, too. But we are sure they pay the workers a decent wage and all of none of them are children, right? Bloomindale's wouldn't do that, would they? It's only the evil Walmart.

I think a high afternoon tea is on my bucket list - or if it wasn't I just put it there

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I think my best friend is planning a "high tea" type thing for my future potential wedding shower I LOVE tea.. like L-O-V-E it! I think that's why I like Alice In Wonderland so much.. because of the Mad Hatter's crazy tea parties

I would like to be able to go to High Tea at The Empress one day when I have an extra hundred bucks lying around. HA! Like that ever happens

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I used to go to tea at a particular hotel (where the martini glasses are the size of birdbaths!) with my one friend pretty regularly but we haven't gone in a while. Thanks to the length of this thread, I finally made reservations for this weekend.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post

I think a high afternoon tea is on my bucket list - or if it wasn't I just put it there
    I don't think anyone in Omaha does high tea.

vCash
    I just went to Kohl's tonight, spent $135. and bought 2 pair of pants, 1 pair of capris, 6 shirts for me, 3 shirts for son, 3 pair of shorts for son, socks for both of us, and some misc. other stuff (candles). That's 2 high teas and ZERO calories!

A few weeks ago, I went to TGIF with some friends. I wound up putting $50 in for an appetizer (which everyone snagged), a $12 main dish, a soda, and a piece of cake.

Frankly, I'd rather go shopping. AW - meet them for a drink somewhere that's not high tea!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    After all the tea talk, I looked up "high tea" services in Reno....the most expensive is $30 a person, and the menu reads like a full dinner.

(still shocked that there is something as classy as tea houses here.....)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sharpie and I will be at the steakhouse with a lovely bottle of wine while you all are having tea and bitty bites. Go meat!
    I'll be joining you guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Can't you just drink some Lipton's while smoking a joint?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Can't you just drink some Lipton's while smoking a joint?
    I spit tea on my computer.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I spit tea on my computer.
    while smoking weed?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    while smoking weed?
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    while smoking weed?
    Well I'm sure no one would actually inhale, right?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You might be surprised. There are at least three places here that do teas. And two of the three are run by actual Brits, who like to tell you how to make proper tea and not that dreadful tea bag stuff.

I think $40 per person is the top of the line here, but that is for a private party in a restored Victorian mansion with a custom menu. You can get a really nice tea for about $10 per person. None of them have alcohol, though.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I looked up high tea in Omaha, and there are three tea houses, one by appointment only. I'm gonna guess that one does high tea? Numbers and I can find out this summer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast