Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Advice needed - thinking of switching to Mac

I got a substantial gift card to Amazon from my family for my birthday recently and am thinking of getting a new computer... My current laptop is a 3 year old HP that has caused me all sorts of headaches since I bought it. It has always been painfully slow and the dreadful Windows Vista doesn't help. After it crashed for the 859th time I swore to myself that I would never buy a Microsoft product again so I'm considering switching to Apple. I'm a little bit worried about the transition because the couple of times I played around with my friend's Mac I couldn't figure out how everything worked... Would love to hear from other people who've made the switch from Windows PC to Mac. How was your experience? My computing needs are very basic, all I want is a CD drive, an SD card slot, internet browsing and a good media player for watching videos. Based on that which Mac computer would you recommend?

vCash
    I'm bi-platform: I use both a Mac and a PC regularly. When I first started using the Mac, it took me about a day to transition - use your friend as a consultant, and buy the Mac customer support plan that they offer. It's really worth it. Their customer support is actually helpful, and they can talk you through things while you're transitioning.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I use PC at work and Mac at home. Mac is much more user friendly and doesn't freeze, crash, lose data, etc...like my work computer. Go to the nearest Apple Store and tell them you are thinking of switching and want to know what support they can give. There is plenty. They will even transfer documents and files for you if you need them to.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I have used both for a long time and hate how Macs are organized (even worse than stupid Vista!), but I will say that they've got it all over PCs in terms of customer support. They really like to help people overcome their PC addiction so just let them know what you need and they'll walk you through it.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I use both too. The learning curve wasn't that difficult, but I do get frustrated with Mac's unwillingness to make things sharable. For example, I have to take extra steps to cut music for skating because all their songs are mp4 and I need mp3. However, I love that it rarely crashes, the desktop unit (which is what mine is) is all in one, and the screen is terrific.

As someone who works a lot in Excel, I hate hate hate Apple's I-Works program. I wish I had spent the money for the Office for Mac suite.

vCash
    I bought a MacBook Pro in February after having used Windows-based pcs since the early 90's. I am in love with the thing! It took me about a month to get the hang of using it, and there are still some things that I'm trying to figure out, but the thing is amazing. It's fast and the video quality is much better than on any tv I own. The design is very slick and so user-friendly. I am a total convert.

There are many tutorials on the Apple website for new-to-Mac users. I recommend reading these.

The only downside is that I can't figure out how to make Ice Network videos work. The instructions from Ice Network are complicated and it seems like you have to go through AOL or something. However, I'm not blaming Apple for Ice Network's user "un"friendly website and I'm not renewing my subscription next year anyway, so it doesn't matter. The Universal Sports video plays beautifully - and it's free!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post

As someone who works a lot in Excel, I hate hate hate Apple's I-Works program. I wish I had spent the money for the Office for Mac suite.
    I absolutely got Office for Mac. But for me, because I work at a university, it wasn't expensive at all. If the OP knows someone who works in education, or is a student, you may be able to use their discount for software.

The only downside is that I can't figure out how to make Ice Network videos work. The instructions from Ice Network are complicated and it seems like you have to go through AOL or something. However, I'm not blaming Apple for Ice Network's user "un"friendly website and I'm not renewing my subscription next year anyway, so it doesn't matter. The Universal Sports video plays beautifully - and it's free!
    I'd tried IceNetwork without success as well, but then blew it off when Universal Sports became available.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    For icenetwork.com you need to get the Flip4Mac plugin from Microsoft that allows the windows media stream from icenetwork to play in Quicktime. I have no problems getting icenetwork to work on my old (non-intel) Mac.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    For icenetwork.com you need to get the Flip4Mac plugin from Microsoft that allows the windows media stream from icenetwork to play in Quicktime. I have no problems getting icenetwork to work on my old (non-intel) Mac.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

INTJ
    vCash
    I bought a macbook pro last summer after only using pc's all my life. It took a few weeks to transition but totally worth the small hassle. I would never willingly buy a pc again! I love the mac operating system and soooo many other things about my computer's design are just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I find the iwork programs sooo much easier to use. I bought office for mac simply because for lots of statistical stuff I have to do for school the directions are all for excel, but for most things I use iwork. I will say though that I prefer office for mac to the regular office

vCash
    And of course, you can always put Windows on your Mac these days, and run whatever you like to your heart's content....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    And of course, you can always put Windows on your Mac these days, and run whatever you like to your heart's content....
    Yup! I don't have Windows on my Mac. but the Mac I use at one of my client's offices does. It's easy. Both are loaded and run independently. You shut down the computer, and hold down the control button when you start the computer. The screen will give you the option of opening in Mac or Windows operating system. Very simple. You can't go back and forth without turning the computer off, but that's no big deal, it re-starts very quickly.

I have Word, Excell, Power Point, etc. on my Mac. I never, ever use them. Except for when someone sends me something in one of those formats and I need to open it in one. I do everything in Illustrator and In-Design. But if you have no real need for graphics programs, they are more expensive than office.

Ajax, you will adjust to the Mac in no time. And you will be amazed at how much easier it is to use and how much more intuitive it is. My kids resisted Macs all through elementary school, middle school, and most of HS. whined, because the home computer was always a Mac (I need it for graphics). When it cam time for them to get a laptop for college, they both got MacBooks. Now, they wouldn't use anything else, if they have a choice. In fact my daughter is working in a new job with a PR firm and they gave her a PC, she hates it .

vCash
    I've done it twice, once back in 1988 and then again in 2004. Both times were a piece of cake, in fact, especially the first time, I found the Mac infinitely easier to use.

vCash
    Used Macs in college; then went to PC for about 12-13 years, finally came "home" to Mac this past fall. No regrets! I have the MacBook Pro, 15 inch. Almost wish I had gotten the 13 inch, as it is a little bit lighter, but I love it. Make sure you get the backlit keyboard. For an extra $100 you can sign up to have them transfer all the data from your PC to the Mac, plus take unlimited free classes to get to know the Mac and make full use of the applications. For me it was worth it as I have no techie sensibilities but you may be in a different boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yup! I don't have Windows on my Mac. but the Mac I use at one of my client's offices does. It's easy. Both are loaded and run independently. You shut down the computer, and hold down the control button when you start the computer. The screen will give you the option of opening in Mac or Windows operating system. Very simple. You can't go back and forth without turning the computer off, but that's no big deal, it re-starts very quickly.
    I've been meaning to get this done. That's my only mini-gripe with the Mac; it's a little harder to access my employer's PC-based network remotely.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Here's a nice first-timers tutorial and info site for folks who are thinking about or are switching to a Mac from a PC...

http://www.myfirstmac.com/

vCash
    Thanks a lot for the advice and opinions, everyone. colinmom71, that website looks exactly like what I need I'm going to order my new computer tomorrow, so excited!
    Antoher question: Do I need to get an antivirus program for a Mac??

INTJ
    vCash
    Nope!

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    That's perhaps the best thing about Macs: you don't need anti-virus software (chomping away at your memory). I have no Microsoft product on my Mac and intend to keep it that way.

Enjoy your new Mac, Ajax!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice and opinions, everyone. colinmom71, that website looks exactly like what I need I'm going to order my new computer tomorrow, so excited!
    Antoher question: Do I need to get an antivirus program for a Mac??
    That was the ultimate selling point in my decision to get a Mac. The Mac was more expensive than the Dell I was looking at, but when I figured in the cost of buying anti-virus software and the yearly renewal fees, they came out just about even.

Enjoy your new toy. I guarantee that you will be so happy with your decision.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    It took me no time at all to learn how to work a Mac. It is intuitive. PC - eek, even after Windows came out, there are always so many mystery issues.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast