vCash

Coffee beans harvested from dung

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/wo...gewanted=1&hpw

Costing hundreds of dollars a pound, these beans are found in the droppings of the civet, a nocturnal, furry, long-tailed catlike animal that prowls Southeast Asia’s coffee-growing lands for the tastiest, ripest coffee cherries. The civet eventually excretes the hard, indigestible innards of the fruit — essentially, incipient coffee beans — though only after they have been fermented in the animal’s stomach acids and enzymes to produce a brew described as smooth, chocolaty and devoid of any bitter aftertaste.

Ok, who in the heck was the first person that saw coffeebean in a civet's dung and decided to harvest it and then brew it into coffee for human consumption? Who thinks of stuffs like that?

vCash
    Makes me glad I'm a tea lover.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I heard this is really expensive stuff too. No thanks, I will drink day old coffee when desperate as I usually am on Sunday morning, husband is gone and he makes the best, but I will not have coffee with poop!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Makes me glad I read Cleo Coyle's coffeehouse mystery series where the whole dung to deliciousness ick was discussed (or maybe, disgusted).

Moral of the story-Folger's might be cheap, but at least it's not full of sh*t.

vCash
    Well, I've had shitty cups of coffee before, but this takes the cake.

vCash
    There was a segment about it on Bizarre Foods. Very interesting.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good question about who was the first person to try this. LOL!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I am still not fazed! Would love to give it a try just for the heck of it. I recently got addicted to Vietnamese coffee, thanks to a friend who was born in Laos.

Somehow wine's making process disgusts me more. But that's another topic.

vCash
    I wonder why there isn't a concern of E.Coli contamination when haversting the coffee bean this way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I wonder why there isn't a concern of E.Coli contamination when haversting the coffee bean this way.
    I would imagine the roasting process probably kills off any cooties...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    i love more tea too, so no problem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Well, I've had shitty cups of coffee before, but this takes the cake.
    There's cake too?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I know I'm going to be sorry for admitting this, but I'm a die-hard coffee ADDICT. I heard about this after seeing The Bucket List where they discuss it. (Yes, I know there's something really wrong with me when I see coffee poop and think, ummmm, I MUST try that! )

It's pretty good, but not as good as the price suggests. And there's not really an aftertaste either, but, it doesn't IMO have as much strong, coffee tasting goodness as a nice dark Kenyan roast. Though I'd rather drink the indiluted civet droppings (or tea, same diff to me ) than EVER touch Folger's. Folger's is NASTY.

We eat all sorts of disgusting things. Have you seen what's on the menu at Kentucky Fried Chicken lately?
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    There's cake too?
    Yes, it's very popular here in the U.S. It's called Kitty Litter Cake

Enjoy it with your morning cup of coffee.

http://www.thedailymews.com/articles/Catcakerecipe.jpg

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    A friend says she's seen civet coffee for $50 a cup here in SF. I would have huuuge problems spending that much on a cup of any liquid instead of using the money for a better cause.

vCash
    Okay, if you've never read Dave Barry's "decaf Poopocino" essay -- written about the very "weasel doo doo" coffee this thread celebrates, you ought to do so.

http://www.davebarry.com/gg/decaf.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    We eat all sorts of disgusting things. Have you seen what's on the menu at Kentucky Fried Chicken lately?
    Sure we put a lot of stuffs into out mouths with names that we can't pronounce but as far as I know, not one of of those unpronounceable things has come from animal's poop ... although the chance of one eating a McDonald hamburger with mice's poop in it is good .

You seriously have to consider how did someone figure out that coffee bean from civet's poop makes great tasting coffee. Did a civit accidentally poop into his coffee one day? Did he suddenly notice how beautiful these poop encrusted beans looked on the forest floor that he had to pick it up, dusted the poop off the beans and then ... gulp ... tasted them?