Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Ask any academic, any lawyer, journalist or anyone else who has to write and then edit a lot of stuff. You can find some pretty ludicrious things that you don't recall writing, but if you're tired, it happens. If you're thinking about a different word or having a conversation, you often start to write it.
    Yes. 2 weeks ago, I wrote a report for a Judge while in a hurry.
    Possession of a Controlled Substance became "Passion of a Controlled Substance"

Good thing it was checked by a colleague.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    If it was pepple, the first word it corrected to was people.

I don't see why it's so difficult for you to believe someone would make a typing mistake like that, unless you just don't type that often.
    I write all the time, thank you, and as one who does type often, I do know that typos happen all the time, and that "pepprt" or "peppwe" would be the likely typo for "pepper"...not "pepple".

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I didn't realize there was a rulebook on what kinds of typos are possible.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I didn't realize there was a rulebook on what kinds of typos are possible.
    Yes, you can buy it on Amazon. However, I wrote "the "likely typo". The word likely is rarely used in rulebooks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Yes, you can buy it on Amazon. However, I wrote "the "likely typo". The word likely is rarely used in rulebooks.
    You're still operating on the assumption that it was a typo, and not a mistake. Not everyone can type well. Not everyone makes typical typos. And it would seem that everyone (except you) makes mistakes...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by softlip View Post
    Maybe auto-complete? Or selecting accidentally the wrong option while spell checking?
    Now that's a reasonable explanation. Pepper becomes pepple becomes people.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    You're still operating on the assumption that it was a typo, and not a mistake. Not everyone can type well. Not everyone makes typical typos. And it would seem that everyone (except you) makes mistakes...
    My, such sarcasm! And anyway, your opinion is based on assumptions as well.

And, "conspiracy theorists"?? "Evil in others"? LOL! Jesus, chill out people! We're talking about a cook book...not JFK's assassination!

vCash
    My, such sarcasm! And anyway, your opinion is based on assumptions as well.

And, "conspiracy theorists"?? "Evil in others"? LOL! Jesus, chill out people! We're talking about a cook book...not JFK's assassination!
    Indeed. But you're the one inferring intent based on an atypical typo
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    I agree. I can only at the conspiracy theorists who think otherwise. I'm too lazy to do it, but I suspect we could do a search of people's posts here on FSU and find similar occurrences of mistyped words.
    I was at Skate America one year and doing PBP via my Blackberry. Instead of writing that one skater should be "penalized" for wearing the shirt he was wearing, I instead wrote that he should be "penised", and that's what you'll see if you look up that old post. Don't ask me, but it happened. I didn't even know about it until I got back from the event. So, stuff happens. I'm not saying that it mightened have been done deliberately in the case of this cookbook, but I could totally believe that it was just an innocent mistake.

In addition, while it used to be the case that published books were edited by highly skilled and trained copy editors, in many cases that's no longer true. That's why we tend to see a lot more weird typos/grammar errors and etc. in books today - especially in "mass market" books.

A friend of mine, who writes a lot of media tie-in novels, tells me that the only copy editing his publishers do now-days is handing the manuscript off to an intern and asking them to read it.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    ^^^And we talked for years after about skaters (and others) getting penised...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    :bows, accepts accolades:
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    :bows, accepts accolades:
    I still demand to know EXACTLY what you were thinking about when you typed it.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    A friend of mine, who writes a lot of media tie-in novels, tells me that the only copy editing his publishers do now-days is handing the manuscript off to an intern and asking them to read it.
    A lot of publishers now don't even do that and tell authors to have their reading groups do the proofreading.

Even in the days of good copyediting, things slipped through; it happens.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Entering the Twilight Zone

Does anyone remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where aliens come to earth offering a new life of absolute peace and prosperity on their planet.

They even come with a guide book with the translated title "To Serve Man".

vCash
    It isn't??? I find it difficult to find a plausible reason how it could have happened...especially since one word has a repeating letter while the other doesn't. I seriously doubt that auto-correct would change "peppel" to "people". Perhaps it would change "pepple" to "people". But I can't see someone mis-typing "pepple" for "pepper". Typos happen, but typing "le" for "er"?

I don't know what to think here. On the one hand, I think it had to have been a typo or silly mistake; OTOH, perhaps a deliberate publicity stunt? How many people will now go out and buy the misprinted books because of this publicity?
    It's an easy one to test! I just wrote "peppel" and the spell check brought up:

pepped
    pepper
    people

They are next to each other on the spell check, i've lost track of the number of times i've clicked the one above or below i'm actually wanting to click. Seems like an easy mistake to make initially.

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 04-19-2010 at 10:22 AM.

vCash
    Someone at my old job sent me a link a few years back that said if you typed a certain group of words in a Word document and then did a spell/thesaurus check, it would suggest a rather raunchy sentence. But now I cannot remember what the words were.

I have learned the hard way not to depend on spell check too much when drafting correspondence. You either have to have mad proofing skills, or get a second or third set of eyes to check what you have written.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I'm sorry, but I wouldn't assume there is any wrongful mindset involved. When people type, they often develop tendencies to type certain words when they begin with certain letters. I almost never type "statue" correctly, because my fingers are so accustomed to typing "statute."
    Ha, I graduated from undergrad with a degree in Classical Studies (lit, language, archaeology etc.) and went directly to law school where I typed "statute" as "statue" for months.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Thank you so very much all of you - for filling us in on this! Can we bring it back?>??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12