vCash

George Washington's overdue library books

Apparently George Washington owes $300,000 for overdue library books.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyl...-1225855219715

Having worked in libraries in years past, I always found the worst culprits for overdue books were the staff themselves.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Damn...libraries were tough back then! All the libraries I go to, cap overdue charges at $10.00 per item. Georgie would only owe twenty bucks in my area!!

P.S. He should have signed up for e-mail notification to get reminders about when his books would be due.

vCash
    I wonder how they would go about collecting on those overdue fees. hehehe
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where Jerry owed like a couple of thousand on an overdue book? And he thought he could sweat talk his way out of it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    P.S. He should have signed up for e-mail notification to get reminders about when his books would be due.
    Ok, now that made me

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Damn...libraries were tough back then! All the libraries I go to, cap overdue charges at $10.00 per item. Georgie would only owe twenty bucks in my area!!
    At my university, some of the books were "on reserve" meaning you could only check them out for three hours at a time. The overdue charge was 2 cents per minute!

After a certain time, though, it would be less costly to pay the book replacement fee. The "unreplaceable" books weren't allowed to be checked out.

There's a line in the school policy book that you can't get your diploma unless all outstanding balances are paid. So the week before graduation, there were lines of seniors paying their book fees

vCash
    Maybe that's why the Library of Congress was created soonafter Washington was president .

http://www.loc.gov/about/history.html

vCash
    According to this article, it's actually $4577. I'm more inclined to believe the latter number, as $300,000 would be around $4 a day, which doesn't make sense at all.