Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I still love Evan even if his triple axel looks like a triple salchow .
    I do too and I find some people's denial of how good his skating actually is very amusing.

Hope the move to Frank works out well for Denis.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Frank and Denis would make a great pairing...so does this mean that Denis will start working with Lori Nichol for choreo and not Tarasova anymore?

vCash
    Maybe it was the transitioning from Juniors to Seniors that led Ten to only have one or two jumps after the halfway point. I am sure Carroll will radically overhaul his jump layout!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    Frank and Denis would make a great pairing...so does this mean that Denis will start working with Lori Nichol for choreo and not Tarasova anymore?
    TAT continues to work with Denis as consultant and possibly choreographer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c971022 View Post
    TAT continues to work with Denis as consultant and possibly choreographer.
    That is very bad news. If Denis works with Frank C., he does not need any outside cnsultant which would bring only disaster, in my opinion. Huh, a possible choreographer, Denis dos not benefit from programmes, that need to be changed and changed again to become good CoP-programmes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Ziggy, really, at this level it's not just fun and sparetime anymore. It's a job, a career, a lifetime accomplishment. Coaches can teach many students at the same time for any other purpouse. But at this level, two kids (same gender) are conflict. And conflicts are tricky.
    If someone is such a diva, they can't deal sharing the coach with another competitor near his level, they should either get a life or shoot themselves in the face.

If anything, having someone to compete with every day in practice is beneficial because it takes you out of your comfort zone and keeps you on your toes.

There are a lot of skaters and coaches for whom this is not an issue at all, so I don't see why it should be for Frank or Evan.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-18-2010 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If someone is such a diva, they can't deal sharing the coach with another competitor near his level, they should either get a life or shoot themselves in the face.

If anything, having someone to compete with every day in practice is beneficial because it takes you out of your comfort zone and keeps you on your toes.

There are a lot of skaters and coaches for whom this is not an issue at all, so I don't see why it should be for Frank or Evan.

And there are a lot of skaters for whom it's a big deal. I would name Takahashi, who's everything but a big diva.

Because it's not about being diva or not being up to challenges.

The point is that the coach should teach you, and then he/she should play your game so that you'll end up beating every body else, including the other student.
    You don't see the conflict? I do.

Do conflicts always work out disaster? No. But they are tricky.
    I personally would avoid them (indeed I'm not the only one, if coaches have such clauses in their contracts).
    Surely, that's enough of a reason to have people ponder, and it cannot be dismissed as if it was some spoiled voice speaking.
    Last edited by loulou; 04-18-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typos

vCash
    All of this talk about conflicts in coaching just got me to wondering why if it's such a big deal, how can the top 2 (In most peoples' opinion) ice dance teams tolerate having the exact same coaching staff?
    I know that there has been a lot of discussion about the coaches' preference for one team or the other, but it seems that in this case it's not only possible to have 2 approximately equal competitive students, but both V & M and D & W seem to have thrived on it (This year anyway).

living every minute
    vCash
    As to the V&M and D&W arrangement, both of those teams started with their coaches when they were just promising young teams. They have a long relationship with each other and the coaches that grew up before they placed 1 & 2 in the world in everything they enter. That's different than having another skater/competitor suddenly sign on with the same coach.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    I'm sure that Frank wouldn't be taking out Denis if Evan was staying in and/or Evan wasn't okay with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    And there are a lot of skaters for whom it's a big deal. I would name Takahashi, who's everything but a big diva.
    The big deal about that was that they were direct competitors from the the same country. That would be like if Frank started coaching Johnny without talking to Evan about it first.

I'm sure Evan would be fine with Frank coaching Denis Ten, they're both at completely different points in their careers but I do think Evan probably is going to retire...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maclou View Post
    The big deal about that was that they were direct competitors from the the same country. That would be like if Frank started coaching Johnny without talking to Evan about it first.
    From the same or different country does not matter, in my opinion. What matters is, whether the skaters are direct competitors with each other and in this point Denis is far from it. As a matter of fact I think that Denis would really benefit from training with Evan (LOL, many skaters would!).

vCash
    I don't know why I feel so sure, I have no inside information, but I am convinced that Evan will retire. But he's not going to tell us yet, I believe, because he thinks he needs time to milk the gold medal, which he really doesn't. Once you are an Olympic Gold Medalist, you are always an Olympic Gold Medalist. But I bet his agent is still sniffing out contracts.

vCash
    Sarah Hughes didn't retire immediately. But she was considered a medal contender by some not a OGM frontrunner like Lysacek was considered a Gold medal frontrunner. Not the favorite but a favorite. Hamilton-retired-Boitano retired but probably would have come back if the iSU had the rules it had now. And he could retire for three seasons and come back like Cohen. There is nothing left for him to win or prove is my point.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 04-18-2010 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    Evan has his own private ice time. Mirai said she's lucky that Evan allows her to share it with him. He might share it with young Mr. Ten also, but he does not have to do that. I'm curious to learn how things unfold, but I'm happy Frank has taken him on.

vCash
    OK, I'm not that enthusiastic about that prospect, Ten already has all the goods he needs to become a leading one, I want somebody who supports him just the way he already is - and I don't think Carroll is the right person. Sorry, but so for I haven't seen anyone really exciting, charismatic, someone with personality, coming out under Carroll's tutelage. It would be sad if such a tremendous talent like Ten simply makes a wrong choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Dream View Post
    Sorry, but so for I haven't seen anyone really exciting, charismatic, someone with personality, coming out under Carroll's tutelage.
    Fifty-six posts, and the thread topic turns to Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Fifty-six posts, and the thread topic turns to Michelle Kwan.

Christopher Bowman anyone?

vCash
    What Ten is mostly lacking is consistency and that's what Carroll can help him achieve, both through support and encouraging a better work ethic.

vCash
    I love this news! Now if Oda can go to Frank as well, I'd be thrilled.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast