Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    If Caroll was buying the judges, it wouldn't have taken him so long to finally have a student of his win Olympic gold (like it or not)
    The two points are not subsequential, imo.

Let's see:
    Carroll might have decided to go for corruption only after having repeatedly failed the other way.
    Or he might have developed good corruption skills only after a numer of years (corruption is indeed some kind of talent, some people are better than others, some are naturals, and some are just not capable of doing it).
    Or he might have had the right mixture of corruption-kid talent-performances just after a number of attempts.

Mind you tho: I'm not saying I think Carroll bought judges. I'm just pointing that the fact he only won OG this late in his coach career is no indication he didn't.

vCash
    Maligning Frank Carroll is just so not cool. He's an internationally respected coach of the highest level, and he is known for his good character. If Frank ever paid off anybody, I would give up watching figure skating. That's how much trust I have in Frank's integrity.

I love Dennis Ten, and I think he will do well with Frank if he's willing to put in the hard work. He's very talented, but that alone won't get him anywhere. There's no substitute for practice, practice, practice. See Kostner's results the past few years for proof thereof. Frank believes in full program run-throughs, sometimes several times a day, depending on where the skater's at. That's why Michelle, Evan and Mirai did/are doing so well working with Frank. They are all willing workers, disciplined athletes, who listen to their coach. I hope Dennis is also, and I look forward to seeing the good results.

vCash
    I think you can call Kostner a lot of things but definetly not a slacker. This girl practices her butt off.

But on topic: I am so happy that Ten got away from Tarasova. He is an incredible talent and I wanted to run away from my screen or from my place in the rink every time he skated his horrendous programs last year. They SO did not fit him. Especially the short program. Shudder.
    Last edited by Hedwig; 06-18-2010 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    There is no way Frank Carroll "bought" judges. Period. The man's intergity has NEVER been questioned. And never will be. To suggest otherwise only reveals the poster's total ignorance of the man and his character.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that Evan won through hard work and intelligent use of the rules currently in place? Frank succeeds as a coach because he is smart and focussed on bringing out the best in all of his skaters, not just the champions.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I think you can call Kostner a lot of things but definetly not a slacker. This girl practices her butt off.

But on topic: I am so happy that Ten got away from Tarasova. He is an incredible talent and I wanted to run away from my screen or from my place in the rink every time he skated his horrendous programs last year. They SO did not fit him. Especially the short program. Shudder.
    Agree about Kostner. The same is true of Tomas Verner, he skates like 6 hours a day. I've actually seen him skate practice sessions and he's amazing. Just because these skaters are nervous and bomb competitions, doesn't mean they slack off in practice.

Also agree about Ten, his SP this season was still amazing despite the awful music choices because he's so talented, and he just turned 17, he's super young and already so good! Excited to see how Carroll handles him.

And Carroll def does not bribe the judges or whatever. He's one of the best coaches around and he has always had tons of students. That's nothing new.

vCash
    Reposting from the U.S. Senior Men's thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I also wanted to add that Andrew Gonzales has switched coaches, he told me he is now being coached under Frank Carroll.
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    How many students does Frank Carroll have now?
    At last count: Lysacek (for now), Mirai Nagasu, Denis Ten, Jonathan Cassar, Drew Gonzales, Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, Leah Keiser (novice champ)...

vCash
    Nagasu?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Nagasu?
    Edited in now.

vCash
    Wasn't Lainey Diggs one of his as well? Did she retire or change coaches?

vCash
    Laney Diggs switched from Frank Carroll/Christa Fassi after 2010 Nationals to Ivan Dinev/Angela Nikodinov but, last I heard, is taking time off from competitive skating (haven't seen an official announcement, though).

vCash
    ^ What about Danielle Kahle?

I really liked her style and her jumps when I saw her last at nationals, but I haven't heard about her since.

vCash
    Kahle hasn't been coached by Carroll since the 2007-2008 season (when she last made Nationals and placed 12th). Her last international was Finlandia Trophy in October 2008 and Charlene Wong was her coach there, as well as at Sectionals in November 2008 (also Sectionals in November 2009? she was 6th). I haven't heard if she is planning to continue competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Laney Diggs switched from Frank Carroll/Christa Fassi after 2010 Nationals to Ivan Dinev/Angela Nikodinov but, last I heard, is taking time off from competitive skating (haven't seen an official announcement, though).
    Laney was judging at the All Year Competition a few weekends back.

vCash
    Danielle is coaching at Easy Street Arena (well, now it's the Simi Valley Iceoplex) in Simi Valley, CA. She's not competing anymore, as far as I know. She coached one of my group classes a few months ago, heh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Danielle is coaching at Easy Street Arena (well, now it's the Simi Valley Iceoplex) in Simi Valley, CA. She's not competing anymore, as far as I know. She coached one of my group classes a few months ago, heh.
    ........... I loved her skating. Hopefully, she'll bring some good skaters up into the ranks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I spoke with Laney at the All Year Club competition (not GW, Club comp) where she was judging (you can have anyone judge at a Club comp, it's not USFSA sanction and AY uses this as a way to start or try new potential judges). Laney said that she is going to UC Berkeley (Cal) this coming school year and will continue to skate some (a few times per week), but will be concentrating on her studies.

Best of luck to her. I hope that she comes back on to the skating scene, once she feels comfortable with her new academic career.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Agree about Kostner. The same is true of Tomas Verner, he skates like 6 hours a day. I've actually seen him skate practice sessions and he's amazing. Just because these skaters are nervous and bomb competitions, doesn't mean they slack off in practice.
    Nah, the actual skating is more like 3 hours a day. In Oberstdorf Tomas had sessions of 1.5 or 1 hour, and then 2 or 3 a day.

but of course there is the warm-up, stretching, off ice training, ballet, dance class etc.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    Nah, the actual skating is more like 3 hours a day. In Oberstdorf Tomas had sessions of 1.5 or 1 hour, and then 2 or 3 a day.

but of course there is the warm-up, stretching, off ice training, ballet, dance class etc.
    So on Yuna's ISU bio, when it says 48 hours/week, it doesn't mean that she's actually SKATING for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week? That would maybe be too much skating. But what else would she be doing? Would it be like skating for 4 hours, cardio for 1 hour, weights/personal trainer for 1 hour, stretching for 1 hour, and like a dance class for 1 hour? That would be 8 hours. Seems like these skaters do a lot of extra stuff in addition to skating.

vCash
    I don't know about Yu-na, but Tomas usually has ballet, Modern dance, stretching, powertraining, balance, cardio, warm-up, cooling down...stuff like that... in addition to the skating. But not everything every day, and in summer the off ice activities are a lot more intense than in the season. (atleast, in the past, in Oberstdorf...)

don't forget that warm up and cooling down also take some time...and if you have 3 sessions a day...
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    I don't know about Yu-na, but Tomas usually has ballet, Modern dance, stretching, powertraining, balance, cardio, warm-up, cooling down...stuff like that... in addition to the skating. But not everything every day, and in summer the off ice activities are a lot more intense than in the season. (atleast, in the past, in Oberstdorf...)

don't forget that warm up and cooling down also take some time...and if you have 3 sessions a day...
    Oh cool, that sounds like a lot of fun/intense stuff! As for Yuna, I kind of doubt she skates for 8 hours a day, I think I saw a video where the announcer said she's on the ice for about 3 or 4 hours a day. I assume she does all that other stuff as well, there's a youtube video of her doing hip hop dance, she's really good at it !

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast