vCash

What Kind Of Flat Screen TV Should I Buy?

I'm thinking about buying a 42 inch flat screen TV.

Beyond that I know nothing.

What do people suggest?

vCash
    Questions to consider:

What is your budget?

How big is the room?

Is the room light or dark? Is there a glare off of windows? Plasma TVs tend to be excellent in dark rooms because they have deeper blacks, but they can reflect light.

Will people be watching from directly in front of the TV or will there be viewers watching at angles?

Do you tend to watch sports a lot? Some TVs are better for high-speed sports. If you go for an LED, what you watch may dictate whether you want 240 hz or can do with 120 hz.

Do you want a TV that is 3D capable, something that is being marketed with an eye toward 3D movies and future TV shows being created? At this point, 3D ready TVs are expensive, but if you don't get one, it may mean that your current TV will become obsolete if 3D really catches on.

Do you want a TV with internet gadgets? Many of the new TVs have "widgets" which allow them to access sites like Yahoo or YouTube.

Whatever you do, definitely get a 1080p TV. The difference in picture quality from 720 to 1080 is huge, and the cost difference is not so great to settle for less than 1080p. Also make sure you get a TV with at least 3-4 HDMI connectors. Those are necessary for high-quality connections to a cable/satellite box, blu-ray player, and sound system. If the TV does not have enough connectors, you won't be able to get the best out of your components.

In the past year, I've purchased two TVs, both Samsungs, and they are fantastic. I have a 37-inch LCD in my office and a 46-inch LED in my bedroom. They did cost more than Vizios and LGs, but I think the image quality is worth it. I plan to replace an old 65-inch Mitsubishi DLP in the next few months, and will probably go with a Samsung or Sony.

vCash
    LG LED TV. Dont' bother with 3D. Will never catch on...too expensive and the technology will give you a headache. Ensure it has a USB port so you can stick movies etc into it and also can hook up directly to the internet. Won't be long that you can get your "cable" through the internet from Apple.

In general, though, CNet has the best reviews

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I would be weary of the 3D televisions for now. I wont go so far as to say they will "never" catch on but it is still too early for them, IMO. 3D movies have just begun taking off, there is still a long way to go before that comes into the home. I heard the glasses you need are super expensive and most TV's only come with 1 or 2. How often will it even be used at first, there are no TV shows that I know of and few movies are probably worth the 3D, this is even true at the movies! Also, I never recommend buying the first of anything, it will only be improved upon and have the price go down in future years.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I read and read and read and read and read... about which was better... plasma or LCD. Finally settled on plasma... I went to Best Buy... talked to the salesman (a kid to this senior citizen)... and bought a plasma tv. That was about six months ago. I love it.

Six months earlier I went to Sears... I talked to the salesman (senior citizen to senior citizen) he said he owned a plasma tv... loved it. The salesman at Best Buy also said he owned a plasma tv.

But... check out some of the boards that discuss plasma vs LCD and see what you find. Just don't let it drive you nutz!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    For the record, we have two quite large flat screen televisions. One is LCD and one is plasma. We love both and have had no problems.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    We bought plasma for the TV room as several of the best seats are off angle from the set. We have LCD in the bedrooms where side view isn't an issue.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    We just got a Samsung LCD and it's great. I was leaning toward LED, but the same picture quality was still a good bit more $$.

In terms of energy use, plasmas use the most, then LCDs, then LED.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Banned Member
    vCash
    We have a plasma, the biggest you could buy 5 years ago. The only thing I don't like about it is that it gets very hot and that is fine in the winter but in the summer it makes my family room to warm. We are going to move it to the living room this year!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Demon Barber
    vCash
    I was gonna say, I believe plasmas use more energy than LCD/LEDs. Not sure how much of a diff that would make in your electric bill though.

I'm in the market as well and since cost is a factor (LEDs are more expensive) and I don't like the electricity usage of plasmas, I'm going for a LCD...1080p...my question is if I should go for 120hz or just go for 60hz. Difference is about $200-$300. I don't really feel I watch enough fast action stuff (except skating...if that would even show up) to need 120hz...but that is where I'm leaning anyway.

vCash
    Don't have much input on much else, except that I've had a Samsung 1080p for two years and I've had no problems with it.

vCash
    I have a Sony 40-inch LCD 1080p that I got 2 years ago and so far, so good. I got the V-series model, just below the XBR (I think the models have all changed, lol). The XBR had a slightly better picture but it was a lot more money. I think April is the best time to buy a new TV, b/c they come out with new models soon so you can get discounts on the current inventory.

My family has always owned Sonys, and I wouldn't buy any other brand.

vCash
    Hubby purchased a 42" Samsung plasma two years ago and we LOVE it. It took a couple of weekends of visiting a lot of stores and comparing. We even preferred it over Panasonic and Sony models that came in the same size.

I don't know if it's still the same but when we were looking, you could really tell the difference in the "reaction" time between plasma and lcd. The lcd was jumpy and sometimes even looked like ghosting; imagine a picture taken while the 35mm camera is moving... that look. Perhaps the 120hz makes a big difference in lcd's.

We ended up buying ours at Costco. Can't beat the 90 days return alloted along with the manufacturer's warranty extended by Costco to 2 years for free!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I would not buy 3D. Samsung is already releasing multiple health warnings and that is not a good sign. I think it's still years away from being a viable option.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I have a 42in Panasonic Viera that I bought 2 years ago. It was a CNET best Plasma and a best in Consumer Reports. I have had no difficulties and the picture is wonderful.

Demon Barber
    vCash
    What is a media box? I thought the inputs and such would be on the tv, but sometimes I see reference to a media box. Is that not a preferential style/setup for tv? Do tv's come w/ the media box included (ie, no separate box)? Confused.

Banned Member
    vCash
    The beauty of the newer tech TV's is that you can hook your computer up to it and watch free TV sites without the cost of cable. We are working on this, we love our 55 inch plasma, although I do not watch much with 3 jobs.
    Without fear you cannot find courage