Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    That was a raven, not a crow.
    And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And strictly speaking Phil wasn't dead.
    Of course, but he's on his way and we'll never see him in the wheelhouse again.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Have you seen the previews for next week's episode?

Watching the short clips of Sig's reaction to the news, as well as the shots of both Jake and Josh at the hospital about damn near broke my heart.

Quadless
    vCash
    Freddie's comments to Josh about his own experience losing his dad and his advice on what Josh's priorities should be were so tender and sensitive. Not what one might expect from a tough crabber.

It was also touching to see how all the hard as nails Captains were visibly shaken by the news of Phil's condition. He was clearly a much loved man.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I dozed off waiting for it to start and missed tonight's episode - Discovery Channel fortunately airs repeats several times during the week, so I'll be able to catch it later.

After seeing the one little snippet of Sig when he gets the news in one of the promos, I can't even imagine how the other Skippers and crew members will react .

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    *SOB WAAAAHHHHHHH SNIFFLE*

Watching the other skippers get the news, figure out how to tell their crews...OMG, I'd forgotten about "Northwestern Jake", the greenhorn who went on Cornelia Marie for a while, of course he's crushed. And Josh is killing me. And then Johnathan from Time Bandit meeting Josh in Anchorage and taking him to the hospital?

I don't cry about people, dammit! Now I'm sniffling through Deadliest Catch.

vCash
    Sig's reaction was very telling. When he whipped his smokes across the room I almost started sobbing.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Most of these guys are gentle giants in a manner of speaking. But I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Edgar or Sig!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    So did anyone watch last Tuesday's episode (as well as the tribute to Captain Phil)?

I can't remember the last time a television show, much less a reality one, turned me into a blubbering, boo-hooing mess . That was possibly one of the saddest hours of TV ever shown .

As if the initial tears from the end of the previous week's show when Josh called Jake to tell him their father died wasn't enough, my heart about broke when Sig, not knowing that Phil was gone, boarded the Cornelia Marie to introduce himself to the interim Skipper and made a teasing comment about "the Old Man" not liking something, at which time the new Captain realized Sig hadn't heard the news and had to tell him about Phil's death. That, coupled with Sig's reaction, brought on a whole new round of waterworks. Ditto for when he relayed the news to the Northwestern crew, who all broke down, especially Edgar .

I was really glad Discovery aired the Tribute to Phil afterwards as it helped to somewhat lighten the somber sadness of the DC episode - I was dreading that it would focus on the grieving of Phil's sons and the reaction of the rest of the fleet, but instead it was part biography and part celebration of his life, also giving the viewers a glimpse into Phil's personal life. Was anyone else at his cruising around in his truck with his beloved Yorkie by his side? And those gorgeous birdhouses (which were nicer than a lot of homes being built nowadays ) he built during his downtime following his pulmonary embolism two years ago?

For anyone interested, here's The Herald's (Everett, WA newspaper) obituary for Phil Harris:

In Memory of Captain Phil Harris

Quadless
    vCash
    I was suprised by how much harder and more emotional this week's episode was than the prior week's, even though Phil had already died. It was, as you said, seeing the reaction of the rest of the fleet, especially Edgar and Nick, that really made it all hit home. Seeing those ultimate tough guys reduced to a puddle of tears just did me in. And then their salute to the Cornelia Marie. I was surprised, too, by how haunting the Wizard's tribute to Captain Phil was, as well. Overall, an extremely moving episode.

Like you, I was grateful for the celebration of Phil's life that followed in his tribute. Even though I was familar with Phil's story, it was nice to see it illustrated with photos and remembrances of those close to him. I really enjoyed the comments from his wife, Mary, too, since that's part of his life that was never really revealed. Boy, is she one gorgeous woman. And to see pictures of the two of them in their youth, along with the stories of the cars, the Harleys and the partying - well, it made me realize that Captain Phil really did live more than a lifetime in his brief 53 years on this earth, and that he thoroughly enjoyed just about every minute of it, so that left me uplifted, even while feeling sad at the same time.

And then, as you said, there was that totally unexpected soft side of Phil that was exposed with the snippets of him with his little frou frou dog. And the bird houses.

He really was a character, that guy. Tough as nails when he needed to be, but still tender and compassionate. And most of all, real.

Cyn, there are a number of video clips on the Discovery web site, some of which have not been aired, that you would probably enjoy. It's going to be very weird to watch next season without Phil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12