Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    I just spent 5 hours on schiphol airport giving out free coffee and tea. Some people were seriously looking at me like I dropped from heaven. I really feel for these people, some of them are going to spend their 3rd night on the floor there right now. Hotels are charging an insane amount of money.... I can get very mad at that... If I wouldn't live on the other side of the country and would have had a bigger house I would have taken people home...poor guys...
    God, I hate that people are trying to make out of this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    At least he could take a ferry, a couple of trains, and some taxis to *get* home.
    Yes he could, but my point was the pedantry involved here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Too bad the ships don't do the transatlantic route anymore.
    A friend of mine is due to go on a 7 day cruise from Southampton to NYC next week, stay for 3 days and then fly back. I guess that holiday is up in the air (pardon the pun) so I guess ships do?
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    Yes he could, but my point was the pedantry involved here.
    Sorry...my snark wasn't aimed at you; it was aimed at the people in the article complaining. I'm just worried about our kids who are in Europe right now and hoping that things settle down enough so they can get home on Wednesday.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    The eruption to date should not have any lasting effect on the climate.

The problem comes if the ash ejection gets above 50,000 feet into the stratosphere. Up there the dust is very slow to fall out. Right now the ash cloud is 35,000 feet and below.

If the eruption were to become more explosive with higher ash ejection, then it is a new ball game. Right now that doesn't seem likely.

The problem is the upper level jet stream pattern is stuck, thus the ash will pour across Europe from Iceland. We need a change in the upper level pattern to stop the ash from streaming towards Europe and to dissipate the ash that is currently across Europe.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I'm sure the ships will start up again if this continues!
    It would be nice. Some of the ferries are built for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    A friend of mine is due to go on a 7 day cruise from Southampton to NYC next week, stay for 3 days and then fly back. I guess that holiday is up in the air (pardon the pun) so I guess ships do?
    Not on a regular schedule. The only one that does is the Queen Mary 2. I think she does several transatlantic crossings a year, but is currently the only ship. Cruise ships do those repositioning cruises, where they may cross an ocean, but stop at several ports
    along the way.

OT, I'm wondering if it's possible to travel south by train/boat/car and take flights from southern Europe/North Africa/Middle East to the final destination???

Just me
    vCash
    I'm glad to see you weigh in on this, Mr. SK8. Is there any change in the jet stream in sight?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    About the hotels charging a ton of money, can't they pass some laws to quickly stop that? Around here the hotels can charge whatever they want and gas stations can do the same for gas. However, if there is a major problem like a hurricane then laws go into effect and anyone who price gauges can get into serious trouble. This is also true for things in need at that time like food, ice and water. Basically, the law is there to protect people during emergencies.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Don't the insurances have to pay for hotels and stuff in such cases?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    Even if they do, it'd probably take loads of paperwork and time. So first you'd have to pay it by yourself and hope to get the money back after all the paperwork.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post

Or, do they not have to pay if it is "an act of God"?

vCash
    It seems like the US air carriers are not covering their clients, while British air carriers (is there still Air France?), etc. are. I think it's because of something like whether or not they have an Act of God clause. So, if you flew USAir to Europe or want to go from the US, tough beans for you, you eat it. If you are on whatever is a current European carrier, say British Air, then they are covering your costs, whether you are stuck in the US and can't get to Europe or whether you are stuck in Europe and can't get to US or other parts of Europe. And some are discussing that they have travel insurance, but that depends on each individual case, I suppose.

I would imagine that, whenever things clear up, it's going to take days and days to get all of these people to wherever they are supposed to be going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Or, do they not have to pay if it is "an act of God"?
    It would depend on the policy, but most do have an 'act of god' or 'force majeure' exclusion clause which would mean they're not obliged to cover anything.

As for the airlines - my friend and I were trying to work it out. The European carriers are bound by the European regulations BUT - only in Europe and in international airspace etc. So stranded Air France passangers in Canada, for example, are under Canadian jurisdiction. We can't work out if Air France is under Canadian jurisdiction but I don't think so
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Here is a stunning time elapse graphic of the spread of the eruption's impact.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/smoke.gif

vCash
    WOW, ebayj, that's amazing.

So, I asked this question the first day and was stomped upon, am I stupid again if I ask: is anything flying out of Spain or Italy because they look clear, do they not go direct to US from those two countries or does no one want to go anywhere near it for fear it will spread to those two countries also?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    A friend is in Greece and was scheduled to fly home (to Canada) from Rome but the flight's been cancelled. I don't know all the details, however.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    I am encouraged because the Chicago flights to Rome are still ongoing (Alitalia Airlines). From there, yesterday and today they have canceled flights to/from Torino. But tomorrow morning they canceled one flight but the next one is scheduled to go - same with Milan. I am hopeful this is accurate and that perhaps it's a good omen.

Although there are several ways for us to get to Torino from Rome, I know. And being that we're only going to one city and visiting family, I think we're in good position as opposed to if we were trying to meet up with a tour group that had a set schedule.

(hopeful hopeful hopeful)

And all my sincere wishes that this somehow clears up for everyone so people who want to get to their destinations can.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post

So, I asked this question the first day and was stomped upon, am I stupid again if I ask: is anything flying out of Spain or Italy because they look clear, do they not go direct to US from those two countries or does no one want to go anywhere near it for fear it will spread to those two countries also?
    Flights that can get in and out of Spain and Italy (and any other country) are flying as normal. I believe airports in Northern Italy are closed until tomorrow. Spanish airports have all reopened.

Are you asking why don't people in other parts of Europe travel to countries affected travel there to get to the US? 1) There is no guarantee that weather conditions won't have changed by the time they get there 2) There is considerable time and expense involved in getting from say Ireland or the UK to Spain or Italy over land (and sea)

By the way, I checked back to the start of the thread and I didn't see anyone who "stomped upon" you.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    WOW, ebayj, that's amazing.

What allezfred said, plus it's not just flights to the US which are affected. There are 22000 flights which depart from European cities everyday for destinations in Europe, Asia, South America, Australia etc as well as the US, so it's all those flights from the 20 other countries where the airspace is closed which is causing the chaos
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I talked to my coworker's mom this morning to see how she was handling the stress of being stuck in Paris past her Saturday return date. Everything so far has gone well. she teamed up with a family that had been stranded too and the tourist office found them a decent price hotel to wait things out. I'm relieved that she's doing well and can't wait to hear her stories when she gets back. So far, no return date; maybe Wednesday.

vCash
    It seems like the US air carriers are not covering their clients, while British air carriers (is there still Air France?), etc. are. I think it's because of something like whether or not they have an Act of God clause. So, if you flew USAir to Europe or want to go from the US, tough beans for you, you eat it. If you are on whatever is a current European carrier, say British Air, then they are covering your costs, whether you are stuck in the US and can't get to Europe or whether you are stuck in Europe and can't get to US or other parts of Europe.
    Why does this not surprise me?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    It's not the fault of the airlines that flights are grounded so I'm not sure why they should be responsible for food and accomodation. It's a very unfortunate situation and I have nothing but sympathy for stranded passengers, god knows I'd be a right terror if it were happening to me, but I just don't see it as their responsibility.

This is just one of those life sucks situations.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast