Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Thanks, but I think I'll just stick with "Iceland."
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNC View Post
    Hopefully you have been on the phone with the airline and asking them if they can re-route you farther south?
    I did all of the bookings through American Express. I spoke to them last night, the agent told me it's too early to do anything, or even ask questions. As they don''t know what Thursday will bring. I suppose they could route us through Rome, but that would switch us from Lufthansa to Continental (both are United bookings, however). We're just going to have to ride it out. I will feel especially bad for my BF, not only will this be disappointing, she will have flown to NJ as her final destination . Little Italy, in NYC will not quite suffice .

Quote Originally Posted by timing View Post
    I'm hoping everything clears up in time for the US teams and any other teams which need to fly to make it to the 1st Nation's Cup. Safety is most important but I know skaters who will be disappointed if they can not get there in time to compete.
    I know. This happened to all of the US Jr. Team members after 9/11. None of the skaters did the JGP's after 9/11. I think 1 happened before and 1 happened during, but the rest did not go out. It was very disappointing and it impacted the Jr skaters' rankings internationally. But, USFS had no choice, their safety was more important.

vCash
    Swiss airports closed from midnight on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    This happened to all of the US Jr. Team members after 9/11. None of the skaters did the JGP's after 9/11. I think 1 happened before and 1 happened during, but the rest did not go out.
    None of the US skaters were able to go to their scheduled JGPs that fall because the first JGP was Sept. 13-16, 2001, and the USFSA made the decision to withdraw everyone after 9/11 and cancelled the 2nd JGP in Phoenix, AZ (Sept. 20-23).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    None of the US skaters were able to go to their scheduled JGPs that fall because the first JGP was Sept. 13-16, 2001, and the USFSA made the decision to withdraw everyone after 9/11 and cancelled the 2nd JGP in Phoenix, AZ (Sept. 20-23).
    Actually, you are correct that there was not one before 9/11. But the athletes did go to Bulgaria for the 9/13-16 JGP. They got there a few days before and were stranded there. I remember some of the athletes discussing the fact that competing right after was very hard, that the athletes from other nations were very supportive, and discussing being stranded. So, it waas only one JGP not two .

vCash
    Oh right, thanks for the correction about the first JGP in Sofia, cruisin. I remember the situation now. Here's hoping both you and your friend will be able to make it to Italy after all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Oh right, thanks for the correction about the first JGP in Sofia, cruisin. I remember the situation now. Here's hoping both you and your friend will be able to make it to Italy after all.
    And thank you for reminding me that there was not one before Bulgaria .

Thank you! I don't fly well, so this will just make me more nervous, if it's a go.
    I just looked at the United site, they are not talking refunds, they will be allowing reschedules with no fare increase or change fee. but it will still have to be used within a year, and if you can't do that...? C'est la vie. Or rather, cio' e' la vita!

vCash
    I wonder if this grounding of so many planes will give scientists another opportunity to study the impact of air travel on climate.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/sc...ate/index.html
    Creating drama!

vCash
    News reports stating that the last time this volcano blew (1821) it erupted for 2 years straight!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    It's just the wrong time of year. If the wind were in the other direction, it wouldn't be Europe that was suffering.

A friend of mine is stuck in Malta. She's quite pleased My neighbour is stuck in Portugal and is less pleased, as he's supposed to be skiing in Austria tomorrow. My flatmate got to London on a previously booked Eurostar train, and said it was overflowing with people who had trekked across Europe. All eurostar trains and P&) ferries are booked out till Monday.

I'm watching BBC now, and they interviewed a lovely group of people stranded in an airport who said "It's a volcano. You can't get mad about that. It's not a strike, there's no uncleared snow on the runway. There's nothing anyone can do".

It's an excellent point. Let's just hope the wind changes!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Swedish synchro skaters who were just in Colorado Springs for Worlds are stranded in NY: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/f...4WJZd9fHQD3q7N

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Airports in Ireland are all open, so if you can make it this far you can swim the rest of the way.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    The Portuguese airports are also open, but about 185 flights were cancelled. I hope everyone in Iceland is ok.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Some levity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jq-sMZtSww

Dispite some of the comments below the video more of the ones in Icelandic are saying they, especially a few at the beginning, did a good job trying to pronounce it. It isn't about mocking but it's funny to listen to. Fwiw I think of all the volcanos in Iceland to erupt this one has the most difficult name to pronounce, many sounds in it that don't exist in English. It took me a few years to get the proper sound for "LL" as the sound doesn't exist in english and where the sound is made in your mouth isn't used when speaking english.
    No wonder. I tried to identify that sound and could not.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Volcanic ash can't prevent Whitney Houston from making her concert dates in Ireland. Unfortunately.

Whitney takes the car ferry
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Since I don't have to fly anywhere... I'm about the amazing forces of nature. I just find it astonishing. The volcano is erupting and there's nothing the 6,000,000+ people in the world can do about it. Planet Earth is just such a beautiful and wonderful thing.

Signed, a physical geography student
    (I admit it's easy for me to say when it's not affecting me negatively)
    True that.

And yeah, I can see how people can be disappointed that their long-planned trips are now up in the air. As long as they don't demand on the evening news that they fly anyway (cause that's just idiotic), I don't see how it's a wrong feeling to have.

I'm glad that the everyone is being safe about this. Canceled flights are much better options than numerous search and rescue teams scouring the ocean for bodies...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    There was a report today on NPR news that John Clees hired a taxi to take him from Oslo to Brussels where he hoped to get a train/bus/whatever. $5000. Hope he made it to wherever he wanted to go.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Sounds like you should take your own advice.

My partner is flying to Japan next weekend. Things are likely to have cleared up by then, but if they haven't what can you do? The airlines are legally obliged to offer a refund, a reroute or a reschedule.

I've told him more or less the same thing as I've told you cruisin. As I've done to several colleagues who've had flights cancelled for this weekend. I've been there, done that myself in the past. In the end, your own personal safety is worth a hell of a lot more than a bit of lost money.
    make sure you double check that the airline is legally obliged because they aren't here in north america with most airlines.. it's classed as an 'act of god' thus non refundable for insurance - for those who actually did get insurance.. btw last time this volcano was spewing for two years.. maybe time to start rowing to Japan
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    It's just the wrong time of year. If the wind were in the other direction, it wouldn't be Europe that was suffering.
    Isn't it about the jet stream and not just winds at the surface or even below 20,000 feet? The jet stream always goes in the same general direction just with dips and peaks that change. I'm sure the winds at the surface matter as well but this volcano has been going for some time now and I don't remember it being a problem until the ash got into the jet stream.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    News reports stating that the last time this volcano blew (1821) it erupted for 2 years straight!
    And it's not as if one can politely ask the volcano to desist.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast