Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    This is an earnest question. How do they get detailed pictures of the ash from above the clouds without being in a plane? Is a satellite image that detailed?

vCash
    This country is so screwed. I took a vacation there in 2008 and it was one of the best vacations I ever took...even in February!!
    Such an incredibly picturesque country and wonderful people.

Now the economy has collapsed, the country is bankrupt and the volcanoes are active again, closing the ONE highway that goes all the way around the island.

I know this is about the rest of Europe, too, but my heart goes out to the Island. I hope they recover.

vCash
    I fly to Rome on Monday (from Chicago), then a short flight up to Torino. Praying it's clear.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    When I think of Iceland I always think of Bjork, and I'm now thinking that she should put on her swan dress and fly people to their destinations.

Though it's a much larger scale and intensity, the ash cloud thing is making me think of the Australia dust storm from September that clouded over much of the country.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    I was and at some Scottish Guy on the news at an airport yesterday, paraphrasing he said something like, "I dont see why the flights have to be cancelled, It's not like it's on the ground is it?" .... duuuh.

I hope people that know him, rib him for the rest of his life over that remark.

Like Hanna, cos I dont have to fly anywhere right now, Im loving watching pictures of the volcano and the path of the ash cloud. I just hope it doesnt start with the whole 'sulphur smell' around by me though.. gag! LOL
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Are you for real?
    Yes, I am. Ask SHARPIE.

Obviously I wouldn't want the planes to fly if it were not safe. But, excuse me for being disappointed if my plans get screwed up and I lose a lot of money.
    If you are lucky enough to be able to afford to go on holiday, then you should be adult enough to suck it up. And hopefully get some perspective while you're at it.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Last I heard, Frankfurt was still open. Berlin and Hamburg are shut down. Could have changed by now though.
    But there's plenty of time until next Thursday
    Frankfurt is closed now. 13 of the 16 international airports in Germany are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Yes, I am. Ask SHARPIE.

If you are lucky enough to be able to afford to go on holiday, then you should be adult enough to suck it up. And hopefully get some perspective while you're at it.
    Sometimes, I think you forget to engage your brain when you make comments. Are you, in any way, capable of understanding other people? Or, do you just get off on being nasty?

Clearly, I'm lucky to be able to go on a vacation. However it's not going to be lucky to lose the money on things that had to be pre-paid and are not refundable. I don't know when or if the trip can be rescheduled. Being disappointed that a trip, that has been planned for months and that a friend is traveling (from KY) to NJ to go on with me, might get canned is disappointing. If you don't or can't understand that, then maybe you need to get some perspective, and some human feelings while you're at it. I will have no choice, but to suck it up, if it gets cancelled. I will also have no choice but to take the $$ losses, unless you want to cover them, since you seem to have so much perspective.

What made you so bitter?

Prick Admin
    vCash

What made you so bitter?
    I was born that way.

You still haven't explained what or who you are at though. Is it the volcano?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I was born that way.

You still haven't explained what or who you are at though. Is it the volcano?
    I'm mad at the situation. Not tearing my hair out, not running around screaming. More like frustrated, feeling a bit anxious, and will be disappointed if this doesn't clear up. It's easy for you to not care, you don't have plans with your best friend. Plans that took a lot of organizing and that you've been looking forward to. And the potential loss of pre-paid things that may not be recoverable due to natural conditions. Why are you picking on some silly graphic "mad" face so literally? Lighten up.

vCash
    I normally see some planes from my window, so it's kind of odd not to! I'm somewhat annoyed to be stuck in a cloud of ash when I was stuck in a cloud of dust in Sydney last September ( I'm asthmatic so I've felt both events) but it's such a rare thing, you have to roll with it.

If you're stuck somewhere, take the time to do something you wouldn't normally do. It could make a great story!

And FYI - Some Irish, Scottish and Scandanavian airports are due to open in a few hours. More will open at 1am tomorrow morning and all flights should resume by Sunday providing that no further ash clouds head our way. I dare say that certain airports like Heathrow will break curfew to get cancelled flights out, so while air travel will still be out of kilter for a few days, everyone waiting for a flight should get to where they're going in the next few days.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    This is an earnest question. How do they get detailed pictures of the ash from above the clouds without being in a plane? Is a satellite image that detailed?
    There are satellites out there that can clearly show writing on someone's shirt.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    I was and at some Scottish Guy on the news at an airport yesterday, paraphrasing he said something like, "I dont see why the flights have to be cancelled, It's not like it's on the ground is it?" .... duuuh.I hope people that know him, rib him for the rest of his life over that remark.

Like Hanna, cos I dont have to fly anywhere right now, Im loving watching pictures of the volcano and the path of the ash cloud. I just hope it doesnt start with the whole 'sulphur smell' around by me though.. gag! LOL
    I saw that same guy, I was as to what he was on about

http://www.icelandair.us/information...Y_IN_ICELAND_/

Not sure if that will work but it looks like they are planning to get a plane out to Glascow but all the others they were hoping to get to Europe have been cancelled.

We had guests staying with us the past week and they managed to sneak into Keflavik from NY before the winds change.

I know Icelandair and Air Canada are not prioritizing passengers on cancelled flights for next flights out. They are offering refunds or rescheduling but people booked on whatever flights that manage to leave are getting those flights. Just wanted to put that out there again to check with your airline and don't assume you have priority.

The flight Icelandair is trying to get out to Glascow is for those who want to get to Europe and are willing to make their own arrangements once there to get to where they are going ( guess with ferries and trains )
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Lighten up.
    Sounds like you should take your own advice.

My partner is flying to Japan next weekend. Things are likely to have cleared up by then, but if they haven't what can you do? The airlines are legally obliged to offer a refund, a reroute or a reschedule.

I've told him more or less the same thing as I've told you cruisin. As I've done to several colleagues who've had flights cancelled for this weekend. I've been there, done that myself in the past. In the end, your own personal safety is worth a hell of a lot more than a bit of lost money.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Transport Updates from Irish TV

16:00 Following is a list of current air traffic disruptions across Europe (all times GMT)

AUSTRIA: Austria's northern airspace will close from 1700GMT on Friday. The airports of Vienna, Salzburg and Linz will close from 1800GMT, with other airports in the south following later in the evening. The airports of Graz and Klagenfurt would be kept open as long as possible.

BELGIUM: Belgian airspace is closed until 0800 GMT Saturday.

BRITAIN: British airspace is closed until 0600 GMT Saturday but restrictions in the north have been eased to allow some transatlantic flights to resume.

Several flights permitted Friday until 1800 GMT in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

BULGARIA: Sofia airport cancelled most of its scheduled flights Friday.

CZECH REPUBLIC: Airspace closed.

DENMARK: Danish airspace is closed until 0000 GMT Saturday.

ESTONIA: Estonian airspace closed until at least 0000 GMT Saturday.

FINLAND: All commercial flights are grounded until 1200 GMT Sunday at the earliest.

FRANCE: 23 airports in northern France are closed until 1800 GMT Friday, including the Paris area airports of Charles de Gaulle, Orly and Le Bourget.

A small number of planes however were allowed to land at Paris airports between 1000 GMT and 1400 GMT.

GERMANY: Flights halted at Frankfurt airport, although it was not formally closed. Flights were also grounded at airports in Berlin, Cologne, Duesseldorf, Hamburg and Hanover, among other airports.

HUNGARY: Airspace to close from 1700 GMT Friday.

ICELAND: Airports remain open.

IRELAND: Nearly all of Irish airspace has reopened, including the airports in Dublin, Shannon and Cork. Only the area off the southern coast remains closed.

LATVIA: Airspace closed until 0600 GMT Saturday.

LITHUANIA: Airspace has reopened but air traffic control was leaving the decision whether or not to fly up to individual companies.

NETHERLANDS: Dutch airspace closed until 0400 GMT Saturday.

NORWAY: Flights were allowed from 0700 GMT in the northern half of Norway Friday, for a limited time window.

POLAND: Most of Polish airspace is closed, including Krakow airport where scores of foreign heads of state and government are expected to attend Sunday's funeral of President Lech Kaczynski, which is still scheduled to go ahead.

ROMANIA: Romanian northwest airspace to close at 0000 GMT Saturday.

RUSSIA: Russian airspace remains open. The airport in Kalinigrad, the Russian enclave between Poland and Lithuania, has been temporarily closed.

SLOVAKIA: Slovakian airspace closed at 1300 GMT on Friday and is expected to last until 2159 GMT Sunday.

SWEDEN: Sweden started to gradually open up airspace in the sparsely populated north at 0600 GMT, but authorities said restrictions would remain for the rest of the country until further notice.

SWITZERLAND: Swiss airspace closed until 0700 GMT Saturday.

Just me
    vCash
    In the end, your own personal safety is worth a hell of a lot more than a bit of lost money.
    I agree 100% with this, but I can't deny that if I miss my flight and a vacation that I've worked an extra job for and planned for and anticipated for almost a year, the disappointment and frustration will probably make me .

Not a thing I can do except wait, but the waiting is hard.

Thank you for the update.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Sounds like you should take your own advice.

My partner is flying to Japan next weekend. Things are likely to have cleared up by then, but if they haven't what can you do? The airlines are legally obliged to offer a refund, a reroute or a reschedule.

I've told him more or less the same thing as I've told you cruisin. As I've done to several colleagues who've had flights cancelled for this weekend. I've been there, done that myself in the past. In the end, your own personal safety is worth a hell of a lot more than a bit of lost money.
    I get that, but you seem to have a problem with a person being disappointed. I have been disappointed before and will likely be again, but that doesn't change the fact that it will stink if we can't go on Thursday. It would stink more if we went and something awful happened due to airline/airport negligence/greed. It is actually heartening to know that the airlines/airports are handling this responsibly. But, I am actually more concerned for my friend. I have been to Italy before, but my friend has never been to Europe. She has saved and worked overtime for this trip, part of my disappointment is for her. We stand to lose money from pre-paid train tickets and rental cars. The airlines will give us a refund. The hotels will not be an issue, we have 48 hour cancellation options. But the first night hotel might charge us if we don't cancel early enough.

I know that safety is the most important issue. I'm not even sure that I would risk going if they don't clear the airports until Wednesday. We have to wait and see, but it is frustrating.

vCash
    Right now Spanish airports are open, but for how long?

I am . I am supposed to leave for Italy next Thursday. If this keeps up . We fly through Frankfurt.
    Hopefully you have been on the phone with the airline and asking them if they can re-route you farther south? If they could send you through Madrid, all Spanish airports seemed to be open as of an hour or so ago. Or you could fly through Scotland since they're opening up as of 1900 tonight.

I have a flight confirmed out on Sunday, will keep an eye on things to see if I have to change it. I'm slightly more cheery after having visited my favorite London bookstore (Daunt Books on Marylebone High Street) and doing my bit to help support the London economy. Too bad I have been here so much because I could have been doing all sorts of touristy stuff. Off to a pub for dinner tonight and some .

Still want to be at home for a lovely weekend though...

fragrance free
    vCash
    I have been disappointed before and will likely be again, but that doesn't change the fact that it will stink if we can't go on Thursday. It would stink more if we went and something awful happened due to airline/airport negligence/greed. It is actually heartening to know that the airlines/airports are handling this responsibly.

I know that safety is the most important issue. I'm not even sure that I would risk going if they don't clear the airports until Wednesday. We have to wait and see, but it is frustrating.
    I'm hoping everything clears up in time for the US teams and any other teams which need to fly to make it to the 1st Nation's Cup. Safety is most important but I know skaters who will be disappointed if they can not get there in time to compete.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Some levity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jq-sMZtSww

Dispite some of the comments below the video more of the ones in Icelandic are saying they, especially a few at the beginning, did a good job trying to pronounce it. It isn't about mocking but it's funny to listen to. Fwiw I think of all the volcanos in Iceland to erupt this one has the most difficult name to pronounce, many sounds in it that don't exist in English. It took me a few years to get the proper sound for "LL" as the sound doesn't exist in english and where the sound is made in your mouth isn't used when speaking english.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast