Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    On a lighter note, a joke I read online...

The Europeans are claiming they asked Iceland for CASH, not ASH.

Sorry, had to share.
    It was already shared on page 2 or so

There has been another eruption, but airspace is open so they're trying to get as many flights in and out as they can.

Belgium is prioritising flights in from less safe detinations such as Africa and then more normal air traffic should resume in the afternoon. For how long, we don't know, but fingers crossed the wind direction will change and Europe will be spared this next round.

Meanwhile, airlines are charging extortionate costs for new tickets. Like $11000 for economy. Disgusting.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Meanwhile, airlines are charging extortionate costs for new tickets. Like $11000 for economy. Disgusting.
    Mmmm the smell of capitalism in the morning.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I wonder if tickets will be so expensive for a while that some stranded people will inadvertently break immigration laws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I wonder if tickets will be so expensive for a while that some stranded people will inadvertently break immigration laws.
    The poor people facing that problem, in some cases, are being held in specific hotels until they can leave (there was news feature on a group in Moscow)

The airlines probably need to charge a lot to avoid bankruptcy now.... It's terrible for the people involved, but at the end of the day the volcano errupting is no more the airline's responsibility than it is there. I can't actually see why the airlines should pay the bill for this.

Flights are resuming today though, throughout Europe, with test planes opening the way. Each country has it's own method, but things should get back to normal in the next few days I expect.

vCash
    The worst is for people who were traveling to visit a sick loved one or to a funeral

What would happen if the person's visa runs out before they can scrap together the money for a ticket? And $11,000 is a lot of money to scrap together!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    The worst is for people who were traveling to visit a sick loved one or to a funeral
    !
    One couple missed their wedding.... all the guests were in the UK and they were stuck in Dubai! They did some video conference thing. I would have been beyond gutted.

vCash
    Hate the volcano. It's the volcano's fault!

Have you been to Richmond? If not, do that. It's a lovely place, has a beautiful park and there's also a bit of a village feel. It's well away from the hustle and bustle of London's centre.
    If I were here on vacation it would be one thing, but I do actually have to work during the week so this isn't just one big extended merry vacation. And yes, I'm still here. I'm supposed to leave for the Galapagos on May 1 and I'm beginning to question whether I will actually make it home in time.

vCash
    That's one of the reasons why some people are stranded inside certain airports, and cannot leave even if they could find a hotel room or alternate transportation - either their visa for that country has expired, or they were just passing through the airport, and they don't have a visa at all. I know in Germany, they've been trying to get people visas, but at Frankfurt, they still have many people in the airport because they can't get visas.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    There were people in the UK waiting for organ transplants. Their organs were in Canada, and could not get to the UK.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Thinking of all of the more critical reasons for travel (like seeing a sick friend/relative, etc. ) it seems rather unimportant to worry about a vacation.

However, now, with some flights resuming, I don't know whether or not our flight on Thursday will be cancelled or not. If it's not cancelled Newark - Frankfurt, I worry that we won't be able to go on to Venice and we'll get stuck in Frankfurt. I also worry that if this keeps up, we could be stuck in Rome or wherever at the end of the trip. Plus, I'm not sure about safety yet. There seem to be very different opposing positions on that. My friend and I are watching, but even if we are clear to go, we're not sure we will. We are thinking of just postponing until September, regardless. The airlines are allowing penalty free changes, regardless of whether your flight is cancelled. I suppose that's because they will more than make it up over-charging for new bookings. I'm not a good flier, to begin with, this is making me nauseous. We will probably make a decision late tomorrow or early Thursday, I just don't know what to do.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Tough choice. I'd probably cancel and try again in September.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Thinking of all of the more critical reasons for travel (like seeing a sick friend/relative, etc. ) it seems rather unimportant to worry about a vacation.

However, now, with some flights resuming, I don't know whether or not our flight on Thursday will be cancelled or not. If it's not cancelled Newark - Frankfurt, I worry that we won't be able to go on to Venice and we'll get stuck in Frankfurt. I also worry that if this keeps up, we could be stuck in Rome or wherever at the end of the trip. Plus, I'm not sure about safety yet. There seem to be very different opposing positions on that. My friend and I are watching, but even if we are clear to go, we're not sure we will. We are thinking of just postponing until September, regardless. The airlines are allowing penalty free changes, regardless of whether your flight is cancelled. I suppose that's because they will more than make it up over-charging for new bookings. I'm not a good flier, to begin with, this is making me nauseous. We will probably make a decision late tomorrow or early Thursday, I just don't know what to do.
    Right now, Frankfurt is only allowing what I'd call "urgent" flights to come in or leave, and only during daylight, and only if they fly below a certain altitude and fly via "line of sight", rather than relying on instruments. I have no confidence that your flight to Frankfurt will leave from Newark, or that once you're in Frankfurt, you'll be allowed to fly on to Venice.

Since this is causing you anxiety anyway, and since you're a nervous flyer, it makes good sense to me that you'd postpone your trip, especially if you'll incur few-if-any penalty fees if you do so. Contact your airline and your hotels, etc. Find out if there are any penalties, and if not, postpone and reschedule.

Keep in mind that with some hotels, you need to cancel at least 24 hours in advance in order to not have to pay the first night. If this is true for your hotels, you'd want to make the decision today or tomorrow, rather than on Thursday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNC View Post
    If I were here on vacation it would be one thing, but I do actually have to work during the week so this isn't just one big extended merry vacation. And yes, I'm still here. I'm supposed to leave for the Galapagos on May 1 and I'm beginning to question whether I will actually make it home in time.
    I hope you can make it ((((Nancy)))).

Meanwhile, I just saw a plane!!!! A real, flying (airborne) plane!!!! Planes are back in the sky, people. Not as many as there should be, but one just flew over my head, west out of Brussels. Belgium is open for business

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Some reporters have just stopped trying to pronounce Eyjafjallajökull and are now just calling it "the Icelandic volcano".

Irish airspace still closed, although it is good that lots of airports in Europe are now open. Hopefully, the change in wind direction will come at the end of the week although then the volcano will be blowing smoke in rude and EVILLE ways to Canada.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I'm sure this will change soon, but at the moment on this link they're showing where the cloud is and where it's expected to be in 12 hours. Good news for northern Germany, Holland and Denmark. Not so good for Italy and the Balkans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    One couple missed their wedding.... all the guests were in the UK and they were stuck in Dubai! They did some video conference thing. I would have been beyond gutted.
    The video conference thing sounds awesome, though. At least they got married and their guests got to watch. If they're good sports about it, it'll make a great story for their grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    There were people in the UK waiting for organ transplants. Their organs were in Canada, and could not get to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Tough choice. I'd probably cancel and try again in September.
    I agree, especially with the flight status being so tenuous. Hopefully the eruptions will have stopped by September...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Some reporters have just stopped trying to pronounce Eyjafjallajökull and are now just calling it "the Icelandic volcano".
    I don't think the reporters I've been watching ever attempted it.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I have a close friend flying from Israel this evening, but the planes have been flying more southerly routes to avoid Europe so he should make it. But I just found out I might need an emergency trip there on Saturday and who knows where the damn thing will be by then.

I'm a nervous flyer too, and a smoker, and I've never flown direct (12 hours) but always stopped in Europe. Not this time, if I have to go. Damn.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Watching last night's Daily Show. Jon called it "Kevin."

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast