Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Do they have any idea how long this one may last? Is there a way for them to have any kind of clue or is it completely unknown when this will end? That could be really awful, will people begin having to fly around the world if they need to get from Europe to the US, assuming they can even take off and go anywhere.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I wonder if this cloud will move further east? DH is in Dubai on business right now and will fly to China tomorrow, and that flight is still on schedule. And he will fly back to US next Sunday. Hopefully everything will be cleared by then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    There was a report today on NPR news that John Clees hired a taxi to take him from Oslo to Brussels where he hoped to get a train/bus/whatever. $5000. Hope he made it to wherever he wanted to go.
    I don't know how well that will have worked out for him. The eurostar is booked solid till Monday. There's no way he'd be able to get a ticket back to the UK from here, and Norweigan airspace should reopen today if it hasn't already. Belgium will be affected longer...and I'd rather be stuck in Oslo than Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    make sure you double check that the airline is legally obliged because they aren't here in north america with most airlines.. it's classed as an 'act of god' thus non refundable for insurance - for those who actually did get insurance.. btw last time this volcano was spewing for two years.. maybe time to start rowing to Japan
    I have a friend stuck in Cairo. It's not the airline's fault, nor the insurance people, so they're refusing to pay for accommodation of rebooking on another flight. Unless she stays in the airport until UK airspace is cleared, she'll be out of pocket.

I wouldn't assume that airlines are legally obliged to offer a refund - they'll possibly just offer rebooking at a later date. BUT - that said, they'd lose a lot of customers and credibility over that so there will quite possibly be an exception made here.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    EU Consumer Rights

Under European regulations, passengers whose flights have been cancelled must be given a choice between rerouting to their final destination or a full refund.

If consumers choose to reroute instead of applying for a refund, airlines have to offer an alternative flight to the final destination at the earliest opportunity or at a later date of the intending passenger’s choice, subject to the availability of seats.

The airlines must also offer meals, refreshments and hotel accommodation where a stay of one or more nights is necessary.

If an airline offers a flight to an alternative airport they must bear the cost of transferring their passengers from that alternative airport to the one in their reservation or to another nearby destination agreed with the passenger.
    They will not, however, be entitled to any compensation as a result of cancellations as they are considered to have been as a result of an act of God.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    So basically - (and this applies to the EU only, not the US) a volcano is an act of god and the airlines are not legally obliged to do anything. It could therefore depend on travel insurance.

FYI - under international law, the laws regulating an aircraft or an airline will be the laws in which that airline is registered. For example, British Airways operate under British laws even if they are in the US. United operate under US laws even if they're in the UK, so the EU regulations are just for airlines which are registered within Europe (even if they operate outside of it).

Not directed at you, Allezfred - just an observation if anyone else was interested

I know SO many people affected - the list is growing by the hour. We're all quite pleased that my boss is stuck on the other side of the continent though

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822
    Isn't it about the jet stream and not just winds at the surface or even below 20,000 feet? The jet stream always goes in the same general direction just with dips and peaks that change. I'm sure the winds at the surface matter as well but this volcano has been going for some time now and I don't remember it being a problem until the ash got into the jet stream.
    Nope - the volcano is MORE active now. It hasn't spewed ash 11km into the air in a long time. The winds are affecting it. How do you think it got into the jet stream?

The winds across Europe at the moment are nor-westerly, which is why it is covering the whole continent. If you look up the jet stream, you'll see that many southern and eastern countries that are affected today wouldn't be if it were just the jet stream
    Last edited by *Jen*; 04-17-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    It's a different eruption site now, it's not that it's more active. The first eruption in March was on a mountain pass between the two glaciers. This latest one is on one of the glaciers and a different type of eruption which has been a problem for air traffic since it erupted.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Not summer :(
    vCash
    My school has a group of 20 junior high kids and some parents, along with one teacher and our principal over in Europe right now. They're supposed to be flying home from Rome via Montreal on Wednesday. I saw this morning, that some flights out of a Rome airport have been cancelled. I hope our crew is able to get home as planned, but yes, fred, I'd rather see them wait until it's safe. I just hope that if they are delayed, the tour company they're with (Explorica) has some contingency plans.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    So basically - (and this applies to the EU only, not the US) a volcano is an act of god and the airlines are not legally obliged to do anything.
    The airlines are legally obliged to refund or reroute you. And provide accommodation and food. Aside from that, as this is an "act of God", they don't have to pay anything extra as they would if say their aircraft broke down.

Of course, you're correct that this only applies to the EU. I think I'll bring this up next time I hear somebody complain about bureaucrats in Brussels.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    My school has a group of 20 junior high kids and some parents, along with one teacher and our principal over in Europe right now. They're supposed to be flying home from Rome via Montreal on Wednesday. I saw this morning, that some flights out of a Rome airport have been cancelled. I hope our crew is able to get home as planned, but yes, fred, I'd rather see them wait until it's safe. I just hope that if they are delayed, the tour company they're with (Explorica) has some contingency plans.
    There was also a school group of about 38 people from California stuck in Lisbon, yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The airlines are legally obliged to refund or reroute you. And provide accommodation and food. Aside from that, as this is an "act of God", they don't have to pay anything extra as they would if say their aircraft broke down.

Of course, you're correct that this only applies to the EU. I think I'll bring this up next time I hear somebody complain about bureaucrats in Brussels.
    oooh - sorry, misread it because of the 'act of God part'.

Well at least the Eurocrats are doing something useful. But the Belgian ones? When I complain about bureaucracy in Brussels, I always complain about it on a national level

It would seem that many airlines are taking the strictest possible interpretation of their obbligations. The lucky ones have beds in the airport, and many are just sleeping on the floor. I've heard lots of stories from all over Europe about people who are out of pocket paying for hotels, which makes me

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Anyone planning to travel in the nearish future should check with their specific airline to see what they will do in the event of more cancellations due to the ash because not all of them are providing food and accomodation.

They offer flight refunds and rebookings (within certain time frame so those who were planning vacations might want to read the fine print and go for the refund if you can't get more time off work) but many passengers are reaching into their own pockets for food and accomodation because some airlines are saying this isn't their fault so it's their "out".

Just something to keep in mind because no one knows how this thing will go. There is a major volcano, Katla, in the same area that is overdue for an eruption. She's a lost nastier then the one going off now and will most definitely cause more air traffic problems. Don't mean that to be alarmist but rather more realistic and something to have in your mind when making decisions. Personally I hope she blows sooner than later just to get it over with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Do they have any idea how long this one may last? Is there a way for them to have any kind of clue or is it completely unknown when this will end? That could be really awful, will people begin having to fly around the world if they need to get from Europe to the US, assuming they can even take off and go anywhere.
    Read the last few paragraphs of this article. Last time this volcano erupted the eruptions lasted a year, but there was no air travel at that time. And then...another volcano joined in spewing toxic gas that killed Europeans.

This could go on for awhile...worst case...

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/cp-arti...entid=23872147

I'm so glad I took my Iceland vacation in 2008 before the economy collapsed and the volcanoes went crazy. Such a beautiful, beautiful place. Perhaps my most favorite trip.

vCash
    Dang. Are we going to have to bring back the ocean liners? No travel plans for us, but it does make you think. With all our technology, we're never going to be in total control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Read the last few paragraphs of this article. Last time this volcano erupted the eruptions lasted a year, but there was no air travel at that time. And then...another volcano joined in spewing toxic gas that killed Europeans.

This could go on for awhile...worst case...

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/cp-arti...entid=23872147
    Despite the last eruption mentioned in the article, no one knows how long it will go on. It's impossible to predict. Yes, it went on for a while last time, but each eruption is different and it depends on winds and a range of other factors.

Honestly, the media is gettig a little hysterical, as are some people. A friend of mine wrote on facebook that the UK has cancelled all flights until next saturday. They haven't. They'll reassess at midnight tonight, which is a week earlier than she claimed

I hope it ends soon - I shudder to think what will happen if it doesn't. I'm already at the long term effects. It could mean a cooler summer for Europe, which after our winter, I don't want!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I hope it ends soon - I shudder to think what will happen if it doesn't. I'm already at the long term effects. It could mean a cooler summer for Europe, which after our winter, I don't want!
    Careful, that borders on hysteria

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Careful, that borders on hysteria

We're all going to die! It'll go on for years! it's the apocalypse! WE HAVE TO STOP THIS VOLCANO

Tranquillo
    vCash

We're all going to die! It'll go on for years! it's the apocalypse! WE HAVE TO STOP THIS VOLCANO

Nevermind that, it's getting VERY SERIOUS now. According to this headline, Celebs are now being impacted!

ETA: Travel problems are also preventing cyclists from getting to the Amstel Gold race this weekend.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 04-17-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I think if you didn't have family responsibility back home then you might rather enjoy being stuck in Europe for a few extra days. I think I would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think if you didn't have family responsibility back home then you might rather enjoy being stuck in Europe for a few extra days. I think I would.
    Eys. A friend of mine is stuck on her honeymoon. She's devastated

vCash
    Interesting article on World Leader's attempts to make it to Lech Kazcynski's funeral in Poland. Obama has cancelled plans to attend.

Other leaders, including Estonian Prime Minister Andrus Ansip, ditched plane tickets and opted to drive to Poland instead. Latvian President Valdis Zatlers, a close friend of Kaczynski, also planned to make the 13-hour journey from his country to Poland by car.
    Obama Cancels Plans

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast