Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash

Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Just in case anyone is planning to fly in, out or over the UK today, flights have been suspended until 8pm tonight.

Article
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Amsterdam Airport is closing down as well...

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Iceland should be declared a rogue nation and part of Axis of Evil. First a bank collapse wiping out savings across Europe, now a volcano grounding European flights. Enough is enough! Memo to the UN: Discuss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Just in case anyone is planning to fly in, out or over the UK today, flights have been suspended until 8pm tonight.

Article
    Flights are now suspended until 6am Friday morning, British time. It's possible it could go longer, and/or have sporadic cancellations as the ash clears. Scandinavian area flights are also impacted.

ETA: Now they're saying that it's possible all flights will also be cancelled on Friday. Possibly also Saturday.

Flights headed from the US to the UK have been turned back in mid-flight.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

Article
    I've heard that the Irish airports have also cancelled flights in an out. Is that the case?
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    All flights over Netherlands, Belgium and Northern Germany cancelled.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    Iceland should be declared a rogue nation and part of Axis of Evil. First a bank collapse wiping out savings across Europe, now a volcano grounding European flights. Enough is enough! Memo to the UN: Discuss.
    Well you know there is no C in the Icelandic alphabet so when the British were asking for more Cash all we had to send them was some ash
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Re: GarrArgh: Airports all over Europe are shutting down; a graphic at the bottom of Allezfred's article link shows how the ash plume is spreading all over Scandinavia, UK, and northern mainland Europe. Here's another graphic from the Guardian that's annotated with airport closings all over Europe.

FGRSK8 can opine far more informedly about weather and climatology than I can, but I'd assume if the ash cloud is significant enough (as in the Mount Pinatubo eruption), it would cause brilliant sunsets in Europe in the immediate near term, and could also lead to a temporary reduction in global temperatures that could have significant, wide-ranging short-term (several months to a year) effects for weather and climate in unknown nooks and crannies of the world. If indeed significant, the effects on climate would, in turn, have unknown yet profound economic effects.

From this random link:
    For many years, climatologists have noticed a connection between large explosive volcanic eruptions and short term climatic change (Figure 7y-4). For example, one of the coldest years in the last two centuries occurred the year following the Tambora volcanic eruption in 1815. Accounts of very cold weather were documented in the year following this eruption in a number of regions across the planet. Several other major volcanic events also show a pattern of cooler global temperatures lasting 1 to 3 years after their eruption.
    The link goes on to say how the 1992 Mount Pinatubo eruption did indeed result in lowered global temperatures for a year or so.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I've heard that the Irish airports have also cancelled flights in an out. Is that the case?
    Yes.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Well you know there is no C in the Icelandic alphabet so when the British were asking for more Cash all we had to send them was some ash
    Brilliant...

vCash
    Oh dear!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Brilliant...
    I just paraphrased and plagiarized a local joke

eta...the last time this volcano went off it lasted two years and according to history whenever this one goes off Katla follows. Katla is the volcano most people there would worry about. Not that it matters much to people but maybe something to keep in mind if planning a last minute trip that there could be more disruptions over some time depending on where the wind blows. Amusing to me is the only airport open in Northern Europe at this time is the one in Reykjavik
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I just paraphrased and plagiarized a local joke

Still...thanks for telling it.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    FGRSK8 can opine far more informedly about weather and climatology than I can, but I'd assume if the ash cloud is significant enough (as in the Mount Pinatubo eruption), it would cause brilliant sunsets in Europe in the immediate near term, and could also lead to a temporary reduction in global temperatures that could have significant, wide-ranging short-term (several months to a year) effects for weather and climate in unknown nooks and crannies of the world. If indeed significant, the effects on climate would, in turn, have unknown yet profound economic effects.
    Wow, that's amazing!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    OK, not quite Pinatubo-magnitude yet according to another article I found. But if the volcano keeps on going, and triggers Katla, as marbri mentioned, then we might see some real climate effects.

But, yes, if there are measurable intermediate term climate effects (i.e. cold winters the next year or two), then you can easily imagine the consequences: more snowfall and/or coldness --> more demand for heating oil --> less people venturing out to shop in the cold --> lost productivity/GDP than what would have otherwise occurred, etc. etc.

ETA: Another article on (possible) climate impact.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 04-15-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Just me
    vCash
    Any guesses on how long this will impact flights going into and out of London?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I am stuck in London and depressed. I have been here all week on business and I'm really really ready to go home... Looks like I will have at least one day and possibly more for the sightseeing I rarely get to do during my trips here. But I want to go home!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Any guesses on how long this will impact flights going into and out of London?
    At least through Saturday, maybe longer?

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    At least through Saturday, maybe longer?
    Certainly no more than a week, though, right?

I have a flight into London in about a month and if I miss this trip with my daughter, there will be no consoling her.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Certainly no more than a week, though, right?

I have a flight into London in about a month and if I miss this trip with my daughter, there will be no consoling her.
    It depends on how long the volcano goes, and the direction of the winds during that time. Right now they think maybe two days, but say it depends on what the volcano does next.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-15-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast