In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash

Do furniture sliders really work?

Has anyone ever used those furniture slider things that are supposed to make it easy to move heavy furniture across carpet and other surfaces? Here's a link of what I am talking about. I want to move a 36-in, 3-drawer metal file cabinet at work (so standard metal office furniture) just like 10 feet. I can push it (if I work hard at it) but its very heavy ... and I've ended injuring myself resulting in surgery doing it before. If you use these things, how do you get it underneath the heavy furniture to begin with, and do do they really allow you to move a heavy metal cabinet across carpet (the thin office floor type carpet squares)?

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...m&rel=nofollow

vCash
    We used those sorts of sliders to move all our furniture and they definetly work. For something very large, I would still have 2 people (just to make sure you don't tip it) but they definetly work.

To get them underneath, you just have to be able to tilt the furniture just a bit- and then you kind of squeeze it under. Just one corner at a time, not like having to pick the whole thing up.

vCash
    If your furnitures isn't too high off the floor you can use a car jack to slightly lift up one side so that you can slip the slider under. It's best not to do it yourself though. Have someone on the other side holding onto the furniture. For you cabinet I think you can have two or more people help you lift up one corner at a time to slip the slider underneath the corners.

vCash
    Baily -- If you've previously hurt yourself so bad trying to do this that you needed surgery, maybe it is time to put an ad on Craigslist and hire a guy to come in and do it for you, even with the sliders?

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    yea, kinda was thinking that too. I'm trying to get someone to help, but was still wondering about the furniture sliders if those would help or not. It was just a little tear though ... but it got me 7 weeks off work!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my grandmother moves huges pieces of furniture with them pretty regularly. she does it by herself and she is pretty small (and shrinking rapidly)
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    We use the little round feet ones on our stove, they're great.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    They definitely work, but you need to be able to lift up the furniture in question onto them. So if you've had back problems, definitely get someone with a strong back to help you!

I was able to completely change the layout of the living room with a few sliders. I think my roommate was pretty impressed at how all of the couches went across the room, but they were fairly light (I could lift one end like a foot up no problem) so it was only the issue of moving it across thick carpet. The sliders do that really well.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    They work to move the furniture, but if you have wood floors that you don't want to acratch - they can scratch.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Meow. Mrow. Miao. Purrrr.
    vCash
    I used to keep my big TV armoire on a set of the big sliders. Once I got it moving across the carpet, I could move it myself. Helps for that "change the furniture" urge I get now and then.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

vCash
    I use them, too. My computer armoire is huge and moves easily with them.
    For moving things on wood floors, I just use carpet scraps with the carpet side down.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    They make sliders for wood floors.

I've moved a large roll-top desk by myself with carpet sliders and have a 7-foot-tall antique rosewood secretary's desk sitting on another set waiting for me to clear out the space it needs to go to. I've moved beds and dressers across (old, cracked) linoleum with and without sliders - with is much easier.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    They make sliders for wood floors.
    We have the felt sliders for our wood floors, and I think they are slightly better than using a piece of fabric- because they elevate the furniture so if it gets "stuck" the edge won't catch onto the floor.

But when we had to move ALL the furniture away and then back for remodeling, we just used fleece blankets and left it under the furniture. We didn't have enough sliders to leave them in place, and it was just a hassle to have to keep lifting the furniture to get them back out.