Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    It's in the front yard up against the house though.....and the rabbits are rampant!
    I have a rabbit farm in my backyard, I just don't plant anything that they eat. Now the voles and the moles and the chipmunks they are another headache. Oh, and last week I killed a RAT in the backyard! Beat that little boogers lights out!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Tall annuals:

Zinnias are great for a sunny location- State Fair Mix (3 feet)is my favourite variety, but there are other nice tall ones too. They are very colourful and the blooms last a long time.

Cleome makes a nice mass planting.

Cosmos are tall, but they look too wild for me to choose them for next to a house.

Are you looking for any particular colour or flower type?

eta- I've used Nicotiniana as the back row plant in my shaded garden in the past. It can be harder to find the taller varieties and their blooms are not quite as showy as the shorter ones, but they smell heavenly.
    Last edited by rjblue; 06-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Thanks so much rjblue! Nicotaniana is a great idea, and cleome is one of my faves. I might be restricted by what the local nurseries have....but I do love cosmos too. I agree, they are very "wildflowery" though.

vCash
    Pulled up my garlic this week- the first time I've ever tried to grow it and for the most part it was a huge success! And my squash plants are going ballistic.

My cucumber plants, on the other hand- . They were coming along just fine and suddenly starting to shrivel up. Its been wicked hot (I'm in MD) but I've been watering often, so I can't imagime that's the issue. I don't think it's powdery mildew. My plot is in a community garden and my neighbor's cucumber plants look awesome (well, their whole garden looks awesome....). Boo! I haven't even gotten a cucumber yet. Any ideas?

vCash
    Eggplants!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I have two growing, just about those sizes, too.

We picked and ate the first two tomatoes. The snap peas are almost done - not a great crop this year. I put them in in late April, should have done it in March. Same with the Broccoli Raab - they didn't like the 100 degree weather last week.

All my parsley bolted, so I cut it all back and now I have stumps and small new growth. The Basil also bolted so I chopped it off above the third joint. Now I have more stems - bonus!

Pumpkins aren't doing well at all - need too much water.

All my potted plants were moved to the yard because we had the house trim painted and the deck stained. I plan to put my porch/deck back together this weekend. It's FRIDAY!

vCash
    The Topsy-Turvy planter bags went down in price $2, if anyone's thinking of buying them for next year's crop. I might replant some of the random tomato plants into a few of these bags to try and extend the growing season. They claim that the sun on the bag keeps the roots warm so the plants grow and produce more. That should work in the Fall, too, right?

vCash
    My garlic garden of indigenous garlics of N. America are actually taking hold finally! I started them from seed two years ago and they were never big enough to be of any use. I finally can use them as one would use chives or green onions; their bulbs are never going to be large enough to be of use, however given their nature.

Banned Member
    vCash
    My garden is very happy this year! I already have baby tomatoes, zucchini and Hungarian peppers. My herbs are growing well. My lavender is doing really well. The wild strawberries, raspberries and blackberries were cut back early and I won't see anything till next season.

I transplanted some hosta's in the beginning of June and they have done well, next year I need to split my giant hostas. My goal is to cover every space of dirt with either hosta or lilly.

On a sad note, we had a terrible storm here last sunday and our neighbors 60ft+ mountain ash was damaged so bad they had to have it removed. You don't see mountain ash very often anymore and it was sad to see it go. It added some shade to our yard too.

vCash
    I picked the first of the eggplants for dinner tonight and they were so lovely - beautiful glossy purple skin and nice and firm, not at all like the already-soft stuff we get at supermarkets here. We didn't even bother peeling the skin before plopping them into the oil and everyone was fighting over them at dinner! I have about six or seven more ripening and I can't wait for them to be ready

Banned Member
    vCash
    Zucchini is out of its mind...corn is corning...peppers are peppering and the tomatoes will be abundant this year!

My cuc's are happy on the patio in the pot, looks like I will have a bumper crop.

My herbs are also very happy this year!

Its hot which may not make me happy but the garden is!!!

vCash
    We've been eating peas, raspberries, strawberries, and cherries. Also been having lettuce and dill, volunteers that came up on their own. Going to pick some broad beans tomorrow.

I now see tiny zucchinis, but we're leaving town for a week. Beans are finally starting to grow, and my tomato hopefully will set some fruit. Potatoes look healthy, as do my first radishes.

vCash
    I just canned beet pickles. I love 'em, but I hate doing them.

New potatoes are in.......tomatoes need to ripen. We grew head lettuce this year, and we like them much better than leaf lettuce.

vCash
    My gardening was going well, until....rabbits! Grrr. First, they ate all my "supertunias". Including the buds and leaves. Then, they discovered the tomatoes in the pots on the deck. I had 3 little tomatoes last week (harvested 3 already) and now only a tiny one remains....and I'm thinking it may not really grow, b/c the plant leaves are all dead. Probably b/c of the 100-degree heat we had for what seemed like 2 weeks straight. I did water every day, really....

I do have 2 green peppers in my refrigerator. I think I'll cook with/eat them this weekend.

Oh well, I still have herbs (unless the rabbits ate them today).

On the bright side, the pink zinnias that I planted next to the geraniums are doing well. At first, I thought they weren't going to make it, but I have lots of bright pink flowers.

vCash
    I had thought that my June planting of cucumbers was way too late, but wheee! There are still several more babies ripening up and I can't wait for fresh cucumber salad

Eggplants are still producing steadily. I don't think I'll ever get enough of that beautiful deep purple color! Next year I really want to try some of these gorgeous striped Rosa Biancas. It's funny, I used to hate eggplant as a child and then eventually I just decided they were too pretty not to like!

The basil bush is threatening to take over the entire garden. Time to make pesto, and massive quantities of it.

I've been harvesting about a handful of yellow pear tomatoes and black cherries every day. One of the self-started black cherries is actually right next to the back door, which is nice because I'll just pick them and pop them in my mouth every time I go in and out without even bothering to wash them.

The side patch of new garden I started unfortunately failed this year since it's pretty much 100% clay, but I'm tilling lots of compost into it, and am hoping that after it cooks all winter, it'll be in much better shape by next spring and ready to go.

How are everyone's vegetables and flowers coming? We're coming into peak harvesting season now!

vCash
    Hi - does anyone have a suggestion for my indoor calla lilly plant? It's very pale and droopy since I repotted it. For a while, I was giving it plant food every day - I think this caused the problem. I've sense read that I should only feed it once a month unless it's flowering, then feed it 2x.

In the meantime, any guesses as to how I can get it to perk up?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    How's everyone's garden doing? We're winding down now - I'm estimating we'll get maybe 5-6 eggplants and maybe the same number of cucumbers more. There are a couple more ripening tomatoes on the vine, basil and chives are still running rampant, and after that we'll be tilling all the plants back into the ground to serve as compost for next year's garden. I've been meticulously keeping track of every last vegetable kitchen scrap and tilling that into the compost pile, which has in turn been going into our new side garden. It's so much fun to see the yellow clay turn darker and darker and become looser and looser in consistency

I've also been doodling on a side scrap of paper in my free time trying to figure out where to put everything next year. I definitely plan on adding green beans, chard, and kale back into the mix... maybe some yellow tomatoes too. Has anybody tried growing sweet peppers? I really want big colorful red yellow orange purple peppers, but I want to know how long they take/how hard it is before I invest land on it since I'm so short of space already. We did colorful chili peppers this year and they were SO pretty but I want the sweet ones next year too!

vCash
    Here's a probably dumb question: when making pesto, does everyone take each basil leaf off the stem and then chop them, or do you just chop the stems in? Some of my basil is tougher than others--e.g., African Basil is quite stiff and some of the red basils are too.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Here's a probably dumb question: when making pesto, does everyone take each basil leaf off the stem and then chop them, or do you just chop the stems in? Some of my basil is tougher than others--e.g., African Basil is quite stiff and some of the red basils are too.
    I take the leaves off the stem.

vCash
    Ok, resurrecting this thread as it seems that spring might be here.

We've started a bunch of plants from seed. This year we've tried some ornamental grasses which seem to be taking. My fern leaf peonies are up as are the tulips and irises.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast