Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    I just harvested my 1st tomato yesterday off my hanging upside-down planter. It's now on my kitchen window sill to ripen just a bit more. For the longest time it was the only tomato on the plant but now I have some more little ones. This is the 1st time I was able to grow tomatoes

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Something ate one of my strawberries last night.

Well, at least someone enjoyed it.

vCash
    mkats and dupa- Thanks for your replies. My pot is about 10 inches, I think. I had heard about the taste altering when the plant starts to flower. I'm just going to start again as I noticed some of the stalks are brown at the base. I just never seem to have any luck with basil and I heard it was one of the easiest herbs to grow. This was the first time I had actually had some success. All my other herbs are thriving and I'm pretty much just growing them for fun, the basil is the one I would use the most!

mkats- Do you just bring your lemon trees in for the winter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zhenya271 View Post
    mkats and dupa- Thanks for your replies. My pot is about 10 inches, I think. I had heard about the taste altering when the plant starts to flower. I'm just going to start again as I noticed some of the stalks are brown at the base. I just never seem to have any luck with basil and I heard it was one of the easiest herbs to grow. This was the first time I had actually had some success. All my other herbs are thriving and I'm pretty much just growing them for fun, the basil is the one I would use the most!

mkats- Do you just bring your lemon trees in for the winter?
    Yup - although now that they're getting to be 3 feet + tall, we might have to rethink this, especially since two of them don't seem to show any interest in branching, or holding up the one branch they've got. And I discovered today that one of them has a reinfestation of SCALE! There's nothing I hate more in the plant world than scale, I swear.

Er, on a less violent note is the browning of the basil stalks hard and woody? I think that's a normal progression. What do you use for fertilizer, if anything?

Home Sweet Home
    vCash
    I have trouble with basil too. I tend to over water it and end up killing it. Try just watering from the bottom of the pot in a saucer and only when it starts to look droopy.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I just harvested my 1st tomato yesterday off my hanging upside-down planter. It's now on my kitchen window sill to ripen just a bit more. For the longest time it was the only tomato on the plant but now I have some more little ones. This is the 1st time I was able to grow tomatoes

That's great mine didn't even grow last summer, I went back to in the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Something ate one of my strawberries last night.

Well, at least someone enjoyed it.
    We have wild alpine strawberries all over the yard along with raspberry's, blackberries and grapes, the "wildlife" loves it.

Oh, as a side thought here, I found a rat, yes a rat in a my backyard last week, luckily it was caught in fencing and I was able to "eliminate" it....ewwwww!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Yup - although now that they're getting to be 3 feet + tall, we might have to rethink this, especially since two of them don't seem to show any interest in branching, or holding up the one branch they've got. And I discovered today that one of them has a reinfestation of SCALE! There's nothing I hate more in the plant world than scale, I swear.

Er, on a less violent note is the browning of the basil stalks hard and woody? I think that's a normal progression. What do you use for fertilizer, if anything?
    Ugh, sorry about the scale.
    I would love to have lots of lemons at my disposal to try and make homemade limoncello, but I guess that would take quite an old tree, huh?

I just read online that when basil starts to flower the plant starts to become woody and tough, so I think that may account for the browning of the stalk.

I used Miracle-Gro potting soil so I haven't used any fertilizer. Do you think I need to?
    Last edited by zhenya271; 06-10-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: forgot to address the fertilizer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupa View Post
    I have trouble with basil too. I tend to over water it and end up killing it. Try just watering from the bottom of the pot in a saucer and only when it starts to look droopy.
    Well, today I felt really good about my basil. I was about to walk into Target but decided to pop into Home Depot's nursery real quick and noticed their basil pretty much looked as sad as mine except mine doesn't have leaves that have been snacked on!

I hope the other local nurseries have had better luck!

vCash
    zhenya, if you've been using miracle-gro potting soil, I think you should be okay. I just wanted to be sure you weren't growing it in like...pure clay or sand or something like that right out of the ground

One of my friends is on this ridiculous diet where she can't have bread, cheese, most kinds of meat, or anything to do with wheat, so...I went over to her house for lunch and she was eating a plate of raw spinach with baby carrots, no dressing or anything. This spun into a conversation about how she loves so many different kinds of vegetables so she really wanted to plant stuff - and obviously I love planting stuff so you can see where this conversation is going. We ended up going to one of my favorite seed websites (www.superseeds.com) and ordering all sorts of fun stuff: purple carrots, dinosaur kale, brussels sprouts, etc... I can't wait for it to come so we can give it a try!

I noticed today that my one spinach plant is doing wondrously, which made me wish that I had more I planted a whole patch, but only one out of sixteen plants sprouted. I went ahead and pulled out the packet and planted the entire rest of them today because I figured that the germination rate is so low that they won't last another year anyway; might as well get whatever out of it that I can. Unfortunately the "spinach patch" is now the "basil patch", so I had to stick my spinach seeds wherever there's space - i.e. between the cucumbers, in between the chard, and behind the basil. Hopefully some of them make it! I have so many salad-y things that have to hurry up and mature asap!

Home Sweet Home
    vCash
    Even though you use Miracle Gro potting soil you should still give potted plants a good plant food at least once a week in liquid form.

By being in a pot the plant sits in the same soil and simply watering will deplete the soil of nutrients. Even the slow release espomas in the soils that claim to "feed for four months" or whatever. The slow release fertilizers are like a good dinner but the plant food every week is like a nice ice cream sundae desert. Instant gratification.

The nursery I go to feed their potted plants every time they water them with a good 10-10-10 liquid plant food. Needless to say they always look gorgeous.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For those who have been inspired by Jamie Oliver, he's just added a new gardening section to his website: http://www.jamieoliver.com/gardening/

Gardener/cooks will also want to pick up a copy of Jamie at Home - my favourite of his books, also a fantastic tv series from a few years back - lots of gardening tips included.

vCash
    I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. Can someone recommend me some house plants that do not need a lot of sunlight?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. Can someone recommend me some house plants that do not need a lot of sunlight?
    How timely! I just came across this blog post on Apartment Therapy:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/g...-almost-119497

vCash
    I wanted to share this lovely blog post about houseplants - the photos are also :

http://powazek.com/posts/2352

vCash
    I have tomatoes coming up EVERYWHERE. Apparently, my compost heap didn't get hot enough, haha. The more the merrier - I have stink bugs on them that I keep picking off. Hopefully, I'll get some.

I bought a single, lonely eggplant seedling that gets flowers, but no fruit. It's very pretty and getting taller every day.

Was I supposed to plant two seedling, so they could pollinate each other and produce eggplant fruits?

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    OK Guys-I need help. I'm up here in New Jersey with my daughter who just had grandson #2-Alexander, to be called Xander. Anyway, due to already having a 2 year old and the delivery happening just last week, gardening has been put n hold.

They live in southern Jersey. I am taking on a project this weekend of sprucing things up. They are going to be planting all new landscaping/shrubbery when the time is right this winter/spring, but until then we're going with annuals on either side of the front porch and in the very front by the sidewalk.

I'd love some advice about what would be appropriate for this region. One side of the house is in shade, one side in sun. The front by the sidewalk is all sun and already has some hostas.

I don't want perennials as we'll be digging everything up for the landscaping project.

I particularly need annuals which are taller to go up against the house. There's room in front of the house on either side for 2-3 rows.

My back hurts already! But I love it.

Any advice on tall annuals/anything else is greatly appreciated!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Why don't you plant a veggie garden Holley! I prefer periannuals to annuals because I am lazy. Hostas are my favorites!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    It's in the front yard up against the house though.....and the rabbits are rampant!

vCash
    I have always wanted to border a garden/walkway with rainbow swiss chard, but that won't really be feasible if deer/rabbits are around. Unless you plant a LOT of them

vCash
    Cool article about new, disease-resistant breeds of roses here. And speaking of roses, I'm finally going to have some yellow ones! Only mini-ones, but I'm happy about it, because we had to dig up my big yellow rosebush this year, and it was my favorite.

Oh, and Holley, congrats on the new grandson!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast