Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Has anyone tried the upside down tomato cage, a hanging plant device?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Most hardware stores and nurseries will carry them.
    Home Depot used to carry the 36" ones, and now I can only find them in 42" and 54". Like my tomatoes would ever get that big!

I was out pruning and doing some cleanup in the backyard today, and two of my tomato plants already have a tiny green tomato on them. My chives are also sprouting buds! And the parsley is such a monster - the roots have gone clear through the drainage holes into the ground.

Yay for Craigslist postings for free stuff. I got some wood scraps I can cobble together to make a garden shelf so my pots and dirt aren't just hanging out outside the door.

Quadless
    vCash

Tree Peony

We have a tree peony that usually puts out about 10 - 12 flowers when it blooms in the spring. This year, we only have 2 buds.

In 15 years of having this tree (it's more like a little bush), I've never done anything special to it other than water it on occasion. Should I be fertilizing it? Preparing it for winter in a particular way? The plant seems otherwise healthy.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Has anyone tried the upside down tomato cage, a hanging plant device?
    I have one...it's only been hanging about 10 days & I have some flowers but no tomatoes yet. But the foilage looks very healthy.

I just came in from outside...I've been planting a rose bush in a spot that was thick with St Augustine grass. That was really hard work to get thru all the roots. I finally got all the grass removed & then ringed the plant with large river rocks. It looks really pretty.

vCash
    Eek, I woke up yesterday morning to find out that one of my lights had tipped so that the bulb was actually touching a poor tomato plant, which promptly fried.

At least I have 23 more?

I love that they're getting to the size where I can tell the different kinds apart by their leaf shape - no need to turn the cups constantly looking for the initials I scrawled on the side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Eek, I woke up yesterday morning to find out that one of my lights had tipped so that the bulb was actually touching a poor tomato plant, which promptly fried.

At least I have 23 more?

I love that they're getting to the size where I can tell the different kinds apart by their leaf shape - no need to turn the cups constantly looking for the initials I scrawled on the side.
    Awww, poor thing!

I'm spoiled here in SoCal. I already have about 6 small tomatoes on all of my plants. That's one thing I also have going against my bf's crazy idea of moving to Portland (besides the cloudiness and the fact neither of us have ever been there..) - gardening is SO much easier when there's warmth and sun! It's a bit of work checking all the plants every 2-3 days to pinch off the suckers, though.

I planted a few more arugula seeds, thinking that maybe I could get these to grow in the shade under our backyard tree. They sprouted in 4 days, when daytime temps were in the mid-70s. I imagine their little seed brains were like, "CRAP it's hot we need to sprout NOW!"

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I'm thinking of trying to grow some rosemary and some other herbs on my kitchen window sill. It gets a lot of morning sun but not much after that.. does anyone think it will work? I'm tired of buying fresh herbs and then throwing half of them out because we don't use them all that much.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    We have a plant called a Barbara Karst Bougainvillea. It has been the one that has flourished the best since we got a few plants. I water it everyday and it was just full of beautiful pink flowers. The last week or so they have all begun falling off. Is this just a normal process, kind of like shedding in preparation for the next blooms or something? I just don't see what has changed as they did so well for a month or so and I haven't changed anything. I am thinking of moving my Rose bush into the shade as they dry up and begin dying off even though I water every day. Maybe in the shade they will not require watering twice a day.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I just got back last night after a week away, so the first thing I did this morning is check out my garden and O.M.G. I can't believe how much growth there has been! It's like a whole new backyard. And just now it rained, so more encouragement for my plants, yay!

vCash
    My husband and I are tearing up the wood border for our front garden and are going to change it to stone bordering. (Well we are when I tell him that we are doing it. )

I have to fix the edging of our driveway. It looks fab but the previous house owners just covered it with red mulch and no netting to prevent weeds from coming up so I have to pull up all the red mulch and the white decorative stones and put down the netting. Then replace the red mulch and white decorative stones. That is going to take forever. lol
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    I'm thinking of trying to grow some rosemary and some other herbs on my kitchen window sill. It gets a lot of morning sun but not much after that.. does anyone think it will work? I'm tired of buying fresh herbs and then throwing half of them out because we don't use them all that much.
    In my experience plants like a lot of sun - the more the better. Is there any other area at your place that gets more light? But if you don't use them all that much, maybe it won't be an issue. My rosemary was stuck in a small pot for a year and didn't grow much at all, but it didn't die either. But once I moved it into a bigger pot, it's gone bugnuts insane. It's outside in the sun though, so it was probably just limited by the size of the pot and not the amount of sunlight.

Basil LOVES sun, and so does parsley, although they will grow uncontrollably if you don't use them up fast enough! So maybe part-sun will work for you.

You should definitely try it, though. It's hard to say what will work and what doesn't unless you've tried it. Herbs are fairly cheap. You could buy a plant for the money that gets you a small clamshell of fresh herbs at the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I just got back last night after a week away, so the first thing I did this morning is check out my garden and O.M.G. I can't believe how much growth there has been! It's like a whole new backyard. And just now it rained, so more encouragement for my plants, yay!
    I KNOW! I was outside watering my garden two days ago and I swear there's new stuff that wasn't there before! I planted some shallots since they were starting to root and two days ago there was nothing there. Now there's a good 3 inches of green popping out. My new batch of soybeans are starting to come up all at once, and my bean plant that survived the winter (it's ugly, but it's alive) is starting to flower again. The green onion that looked pretty ugly all last year came alive as well and has the prettiest lavender flower bunches.

Almost makes me relieved that my parsley and kale is starting to bolt and die off. I need the pots!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    In my experience plants like a lot of sun - the more the better. Is there any other area at your place that gets more light? But if you don't use them all that much, maybe it won't be an issue. My rosemary was stuck in a small pot for a year and didn't grow much at all, but it didn't die either. But once I moved it into a bigger pot, it's gone bugnuts insane. It's outside in the sun though, so it was probably just limited by the size of the pot and not the amount of sunlight.

Basil LOVES sun, and so does parsley, although they will grow uncontrollably if you don't use them up fast enough! So maybe part-sun will work for you.

You should definitely try it, though. It's hard to say what will work and what doesn't unless you've tried it. Herbs are fairly cheap. You could buy a plant for the money that gets you a small clamshell of fresh herbs at the grocery store.
    Hmm.. the front window in my living room might be better. I just thought the kitchen one for convenience. I guess I could put them out on the deck too. I'm gonna have to think about this

It is ridiculous how much you pay for a thing of fresh herbs that you only use a couple of sprigs of.. I don't understand why they don't sell them in bulk like they do with the rest of the veggies and what not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Hmm.. the front window in my living room might be better. I just thought the kitchen one for convenience. I guess I could put them out on the deck too. I'm gonna have to think about this

It is ridiculous how much you pay for a thing of fresh herbs that you only use a couple of sprigs of.. I don't understand why they don't sell them in bulk like they do with the rest of the veggies and what not.
    They'd probably do better on the deck. If you're growing them in small pots, it really doesn't matter where you put them since you could always move them.

Herbs don't really keep for a long time, they're like other green leafy vegetables, which is a concern if you don't use a lot at once. Thyme and rosemary last longer than others, because they're not as leafy. Speaking of which, supposedly it's REALLY easy to propagate rosemary from cuttings. I haven't tried, I got lazy and bought a plant.

Anyway, it's the argument I like to use when people say legalizing marijuana would put pot growers/dealers out of business. It's SO EASY to grow your own herbs (certainly easier than growing pot), but do people bother? Of course not.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna have to try. It just seems to make so much more sense than trucking to the store and paying $3.00 a pop the odd time I need fresh herbs.

vCash
    I have snow on the mountain and I am having a heck of a time trying to get rid of it. Any suggestions?? I have tried digging it up, but it just seems to keep popping up. It is really annoying. I hate ground cover type plants lol

http://www.denverplants.com/perennia...e-mountain.htm
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    LOL sorry I can't help you Twilight, but for the longest time I thought you meant you lived on a mountain and actually had snow that you kept digging through

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I have snow on the mountain and I am having a heck of a time trying to get rid of it. Any suggestions?? I have tried digging it up, but it just seems to keep popping up. It is really annoying. I hate ground cover type plants lol

http://www.denverplants.com/perennia...e-mountain.htm

Roundup. And be careful how you apply it, use some form of sprayer that will only target that plants that you want.

Unfortunately, some plants are just difficult to get rid of, and using a chemical is really the only way to get rid of it unless you want to roto-till your yard and leave it dormant for the year and keep roto-tilling it. You'll get rid of most of it that way, but you'd be stuck to container gardening while you did this.

Good luck.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post

Unfortunately, some plants are just difficult to get rid of, and using a chemical is really the only way to get rid of it unless you want to roto-till your yard and leave it dormant for the year and keep roto-tilling it. You'll get rid of most of it that way, but you'd be stuck to container gardening while you did this.

Good luck.
    I think I may have to go that route in my backyard. I've got rudbekia (black eyed Susans) growing everywhere - in every garden, and in the grass. I dig them out of the gardens, but weedkillers seem to kill the grass around the stupid plants but don't kill the plants. I'm thinking of covering the whole area in plastic, letting everything die, and then turning it and sowing grass seed. I could just about kill the person who planted the damn stuff.

vCash
    I was out walking the other day with my friend who is a good gardner, and noticed there is still a lot of henbit at the edge of his garden. Last year he'd asked me if I could find out what it was, so I snapped a picture of it and someone here identified it for me in about an hour. He'd said, "I want to be able to call my enemy by its name." Well, I guess he's still locked in mortal combat and the weed is winning!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I think I may have to go that route in my backyard. I've got rudbekia (black eyed Susans) growing everywhere - in every garden, and in the grass. I dig them out of the gardens, but weedkillers seem to kill the grass around the stupid plants but don't kill the plants. I'm thinking of covering the whole area in plastic, letting everything die, and then turning it and sowing grass seed. I could just about kill the person who planted the damn stuff.
    I feel for you. But rather than do that, you could just make a concentrated effort just to try and get rid of them. Plant nothing else this year, unless you're going to do containers, and go for it. Use round up, and keep applying it. Buy a good spray applicator like this style if you don't already have one:

http://www.nextag.com/pump-sprayer/products-html

The trouble with weed sprays that garden centres use is that they are pricey and watered down. But, they are safer, but it takes longer to kill your weeds. So be patient.

And I can't stress enough, be careful when you use something like round up. It is a poison. Wear gloves, a mask etc. It will work, it just takes time.

Good luck.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast