vCash

Anyone ever work as a floral designer?

Out of sheer desperation for work, I sent in a resume & letter to a floral shop to apply for a floral designer job. I've never done it, but have been a professional artist my whole career & have been doing silk arrangements in my spare time to learn/practice/put a small portfolio together.

So I sent this letter saying, 'I don't have any experience as a floral designer, but here's why I'd be a good candidate, and I'll come work for you for 2 weeks for no pay to show you that I could do the job before you make a final decision."

So they took me up on the offer, & I start next Wed. I had an interview on Monday which went very well. Their manager went to school for graphic design too, so we speak the same language & she understands the crossover between artistic pursuits, and is totally on board to train me & has pretty much said she plans to hire me when the trial 2 weeks are up. She loved that I had taken the initiative to learn as much as I could on my own & that I showed such motivation.

SO--I need to do a GREAT job for the next 2 weeks!! Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated. Also your impressions of the field in general; I'm expecting to be on my feet pretty much all day, & doing lots of un-glamorous things like bleaching the buckets & rummaging around for supplies in the creepy basement. I'm also expecting the time to go fast & to enjoy my work because I'll get to be creative & I really liked my first impressions of the shop & the people.

I do find it quite ironic that out of the hundreds of applications I've sent out, the one job I manage to get is the one I'm totally unqualified for!

vCash
    I don't know much about the job, but a friend of mine was a floral designer for awhile (not quite sure how she got into it), and to this day says it was the best, most enjoyable job she's ever had.

vCash
    I would suggest to look through as many floral arrangement books as you can at Barns & Nobles, etc. to have some idea of what looks good or not.

1. I think most floral arrangers just use what is in season and follow the rule of low to high: Flowers with high stems are in the background or in the middle while those with lower stems are in the foreground or surround the ones with the high stems.

2. If the vase is clear then you can be creative with the vase content also. i.e fill it with colored pepples or fruits like lemons. Wrap the inside with leaves,.... Of course this all depends on the client's budget.

3. Design for the occasion. If the arrangement is for a centerpiece then make it low enough so that people can see each other across the table, etc.

Since you're a trained artist, I'm sure you know what'll look pleasing to the eyes and just go with that.

Good luck.

vCash
    They will tell you what to use, it's probably standard or customer's request.

Have you had sculpture training? Because the shape is the key to floral arrangement. I am not an artist, so it is hard for me to explain. You start building around a center and fill in on all sides, obviously not perfectly evenly because every leaf and flower is a different shape, but it looks like an intended specific shape at the end because you have snipped and clipped to get it that way.

For years, I was afraid to try this myself at home, now I know that there are materials, such as the green sponge type stuff (forget the name) that you wet so that you can insert flowers and leaves in, and florist tape to hold this in a vase, and all of these things make the job much easier.

vCash
    I took some floral design courses and worked briefly in a shop. If you are serious, I suggest taking some classes, even night classes. In my experience, the best floral design instructors are Dutch or have some European training. If you don't want to take courses, study British and Dutch floral design books. The best floral designers do not have teddy bears and balloons in their stores. In other words, they don't go for the FTD look. I suggest looking around for those types of stores and taking a look at their designs. If you are in the Toronto area, I can suggest a couple of great stores. Good luck!

vCash
    Absolutely no talent here -- but deepest congratulations for being creative in thinking about your skills and pushing into something new. I bet you'll do very well.

And my only floral advice: Most lilies smell like pee. Keep them out of table arrangements or anything where people have to stand near them.

vCash
    Wow, good for you for landing the job! I've always wanted to work in a floral shop...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Congratulations and good luck, Backspin. I imagine that floral design would be a pleasant job.