Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Have I missed something, the hosts for nationals next year and 2013 world championship have not been named. Winnipeg still has a chance to host a major event. And, to my knowledge the only bid they have submitted is for 2013 world championship. That news has not bee announced yet, has it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    For those in the Northeastern US, it appears that the quickest and cheapest route is to fly into Syracuse, NY as opposed to Toronto. The drive from Syracuse is estimated at 2:45 relative to the just over 3 hours from Toronto and the flights are far less expensive.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the wait at the borders.
    For Skate Canada in Kitchener last year I flew into Buffalo and was worried about the wait at the border crossing. I think I was in line for 90 seconds so it turned out to be a big nothing and I made great time getting to Kitchener so I def would consider Syracuse over Toronto.

vCash
    Great choice. It's a shame for fans in the east, but Kingston is super accessible for Ontario, Quebec and NY fans and it's such a lovely city for a weekend break. It makes me nostalgic for my Queen's days.

vCash
    Hmmmm ... in Ontario again. I severley tempted but I may have some obstacles, not the least is a "new" puppy (he's turning 11 weeks old this Saturday) and he'll be about 8 months old come October. My teens will be off to university come fall (1st year for both) with one of them out on the east coast. Hubby is likely to be working out of town ...sigh! I'll have to look into finding a dog sitter because I don't really like the idea of a kennel.
    Guess I'm down as a maybe.
    Crazy about sports!

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    For those in the Northeastern US, it appears that the quickest and cheapest route is to fly into Syracuse, NY as opposed to Toronto. The drive from Syracuse is estimated at 2:45 relative to the just over 3 hours from Toronto and the flights are far less expensive.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the wait at the borders.
    I can't go to Skate America because of a work deadline and Paris is US Thanksgiving weekend and I'm not about to try to fly from the US in that madness, so I thought about going to Skate Canada. The plane ticket prices from the mid-west to Kingston are insane so I thought about doing just what you suggested as it is about half that price including the car rental.

Has anyone made this drive? Is the weather a factor at that time of year? Is there someone else considering this that would like to share the cost of the car?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    can anyone give me a rough idea based on past events, what an all-event ticket, lower bowl, would likely cost?
    thanks!

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Probably no more than $150.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    For those thinking of flying to Kingston, check Air Canada. They have about 6 flights a day from Toronto to Kingston (all Kingston flights seem to use TO as a hub).

At the moment the 50 minute flight costs $197.00 CAN, which is the regular price. Seat sales for the Fall are just being announced.

vCash
    thanks Really - $150ish sounds great!

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Return Via rail fare from Toronto is about $130 (advance purchase), and from Montreal Dorval about $150. That's not bad, and the Dorval station is near the airport (in Toronto it's not close at all ,so you would have to take a shuttle to the downtown station).

Each trip is a bit over 2 hours- not too bad, and less hassle than flying.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Since I live in Kingston, this can't be better news. Downtown is tiny (in a good way), with practically everything jammed together. You can walk everywhere.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Return Via rail fare from Toronto is about $130 (advance purchase), and from Montreal Dorval about $150. That's not bad, and the Dorval station is near the airport (in Toronto it's not close at all ,so you would have to take a shuttle to the downtown station).

Each trip is a bit over 2 hours- not too bad, and less hassle than flying.
    It's even better than bus'ing it on Greyhound. I wish I could VIA it all the way, but VIA doesn't go to Toronto from Sudbury anymore. Grrrr!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    It's even better than bus'ing it on Greyhound. I wish I could VIA it all the way, but VIA doesn't go to Toronto from Sudbury anymore. Grrrr!!!
    You can catch the VIA train to Toronto at Sudbury Junction - it's only 10 kms from downtown Sudbury.
    http://www.viarail.ca/en/stations/ontario/sudbury-jct

vCash
    I am looking forward to the Air Canada seat sales. If I booked today, it would cost me over $1200 to get to Kingston from Vancouver.

vCash
    I've been doing a little research on Kingston, looks like a nice little town....however, hotels seem to be gouging so far. I did find this hotel, it's about half the price of the nearby Holiday Inn, a couple blocks from the arena....anyone Kingston residents/people that have been there have opinions on the place? Confederation Place Hotel? www.confederationplace.com Thanks!
    Last edited by nyrak; 04-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrak View Post
    I've been doing a little research on Kingston, looks like a nice little town....however, hotels seem to be gouging so far. I did find this hotel, it's about half the price of the nearby Holiday Inn, a couple blocks from the arena....anyone Kingston residents/people that have been there have opinions on the place? Conferedation Place Hotel? www.confederationplace.com Thanks!
    I've stayed there. It's nothing fancy, but it's reasonable. I do remember a ceiling leaking water in the hallway. It really was okay, though. It's right next to a nice park and really convenient for everything (restaurants, shopping, arena, walking paths).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    the Holiday Inn Waterfront is a nice hotel and is like steps from the arena, it has free parking and free breakfast for ticket holders..
    The Holiday Inn Waterfront was my first choice to look up, but the prices have skyrocketed overnight. I think this hotel knows they have a big event that weekend now. Should have booked last night when their flexible rates were their normal $160/night, but I waited until this morning and now you're looking at $300/night. Do they realistically think they're going to get many people (or anyone) paying that?

I checked out their property page on the Holiday Inn website and it boasts a multi-million dollar renovation that was completed last year. I guess $300/night is one way to help pay for it!

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jtpc View Post
    The Holiday Inn Waterfront was my first choice to look up, but the prices have skyrocketed overnight. I think this hotel knows they have a big event that weekend now. Should have booked last night when their flexible rates were their normal $160/night, but I waited until this morning and now you're looking at $300/night.
    I saw that, too. When I go to a skating event, I'm not IN a hotel room long enough to pay rates like that.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    According to an email from Sales the Holiday Inn Waterfront is one of the host hotels so Skate Canada has got a block of rooms for themselves - unlike some US events there's not a block for fans. The Sheraton 4Points is also a host hotel so there's not much available there ($270 / night). They suggested their sister hotel the Ambassador Conference & Resort Hotel but it is further out Princess St - driving distance www.ambassadorhotel.com so I didn't ask about their rates as I always like walking distance

vCash
    I agree - the Ambassador is quite far away. In the same downtown area as the Holiday Inn and Sheraton, there are the Radisson, Marriott (a little further away, but brand new, opening next month) and Confederation Place hotels. There are also a lot of bed and breakfasts and small hotels in the area.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast