Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    why are all the events for Canada in Ontario? Come on, this is ridiculous!!

I want something in Winnipeg; hopefully this means we at least get Nationals or even Worlds (I would go to both!). i assuming that won't even be a possibility now as Nationals are usually close to where Skate Canada is.

What did we do wrong in Winnipeg to never get another event? Last nationals was standing room only!
    I would love to see an event in Winnipeg.

But- have they even bid for one in the past few years? If they aren't asking for an event, they won't be getting one. If they ARE, well there may be a problem, but I don't think they have even put in a bid lately (unless they are on the list for Nationals this year).
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    That's a good new for Quebec's people, because it's only at 3 hours of driving of Montreal!
    It's good news for you (and for me), but not for all the Québec's people!

There are other people living outside Montréal, and Kingston is a bit far away for them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fannie View Post
    It's good news for you (and for me), but not for all the Québec's people!

There are other people living outside Montréal, and Kingston is a bit far away for them!
    true lol

vCash
    After Skate Canada this last year, I was emailed a questionnaire about the organization of the competition. The last question was about how it could be improved and I answered, "Bring it to Kingston." I never dreamed they would listen to me. Great news!!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Any medical trips notwithstanding, looks like I'm headed to my third straight Skate Canada!!

I was just checking out the K-Rock Centre's Accessiblity Info at their site nd I'm impressed. For the first time ever when checking out what the polices/options for Disabled Patrons are at an Arena, I see that if you have a Guide Dog/Working/Service Animal, upon request they'll provide a water and feeding station for the dog.

Now I don't have a Guide Dog, but I am getting closer to that day. It's great to see that at least one building out there is taking that into account when it comes to their policies regarding their Disabled Patrons.

I just hope food wise it's like Kitchener-Waterloo last year. They had everything open, including all of the little speciality food places too. Which meant there were honest to goodness healthy food options available to people. I wish more buildings did that when it's something going on that hasn't got anything to do w/their regular crowd...Say like...Their Major Jr Hockey Team playing an At Home Game.

Glad to see too it's back to late October. That means I'll be spending my birthday this year watching skating live and right in front of me.

vCash
    Bah, why not Saint John? It's just a 20 minute drive for me.

Maybe SJ will get Canadians?

vCash
    I think if you look at skating demographics, the bulk of Skate Canada's members are either from Ontario or Quebec. Kingston is a good choice in being accessible to residents of both. I would assume that they believe many of those purchasing tickets will be members.

I think the point that it won't be a tough commute for many of the skaters sent to compete is a very good one too.

vCash
    I understand that, but Winnipeg really needs a boost for figure skating; heck Saskatoon has had more events than us! All we've had since Nats 2001 is the World Team Challenge in 2004 and we get Stars on Ice and Disney on Ice.

I feel we get overlooked a lot and I have written many a letter imploring the Manitoba section to place a bid for an event. I'm not the only one; I know others that have done the same. Winnipeg is not hard for people to get to and hotel and food are reasonably priced. We also have the volunteer base to coordinate the whole thing. Bring in the fact that the new arena is downtown, walking distance (indoors) from hotels, there are a few practice arenas they could use that are not more than 15 minutes away driving.

I guess I will write another letter to the Manitoba section; I never get any responses from them.

vCash

ticket sales...

when do tickets go on sale? anyone remember when it went on sale for SC 2009?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    I think if you look at skating demographics, the bulk of Skate Canada's members are either from Ontario or Quebec. Kingston is a good choice in being accessible to residents of both.
    Last time I looked there were still 10 provinces in Canada and many of the best attended events have been in the west. Skate Canada's members don't fill buildings, skating fans do. Winnipeg would have been a great location - here's hoping they're saving it for Canadians.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    But again, you can't blame Skate Canada for not giving an event to Winnipeg, if Winnipeg hasn't asked to hold it. As far as I know, they have not put in bids in previous years. They may (or may not) have put in a bid for Nationals. If they have, I'm sure SC would strongly consider it. If they haven't- well it's not Skate Canada's fault.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    I understand that, but Winnipeg really needs a boost for figure skating; heck Saskatoon has had more events than us! All we've had since Nats 2001 is the World Team Challenge in 2004 and we get Stars on Ice and Disney on Ice.

The problem may not be with the volunteer base or the skating club, it might be how much the facility wants and the timing. I thought WPG was due for a skating comp, but not to be this year.

My choice is easy, not go or go to SA. The airfare makes that much difference at this stage of the game. I wonder where Nats will be.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    the Holiday Inn Waterfront is a nice hotel and is like steps from the arena, it has free parking and free breakfast for ticket holders..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jykang View Post
    when do tickets go on sale? anyone remember when it went on sale for SC 2009?
    Yes it went on sale the December - so imagine tickets will go on sale very soon..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    But again, you can't blame Skate Canada for not giving an event to Winnipeg, if Winnipeg hasn't asked to hold it.
    Agreed. If they didn't bid then obviously it can't be held there.

vCash
    I won't be going. The logistics of getting to Kingston, and the expense (including paying for subs for travel days) just makes it too much of a PITA. *sigh* May well be going to Portland this year...maybe...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I won't be going. The logistics of getting to Kingston, and the expense (including paying for subs for travel days) just makes it too much of a PITA. *sigh* May well be going to Portland this year...maybe...
    I'd already been thinking about going to Portland, and now that we know Skate Canada is in Kingston it makes the decision a whole lot easier. I just spent the past hour figuring out logistics and Portland is looking pretty good

vCash
    Mr Lanie and I might be going, but we have a wedding in Florida to go to in October. If he has vacation time we're talking about it! I might just go by myself, but he's still bummed he missed out when Worlds was here LA...

vCash
    For those in the Northeastern US, it appears that the quickest and cheapest route is to fly into Syracuse, NY as opposed to Toronto. The drive from Syracuse is estimated at 2:45 relative to the just over 3 hours from Toronto and the flights are far less expensive.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the wait at the borders.

vCash
    http://www.k-rockcentre.com/

Wheeee!!!!.........This is exactly what I was hoping. I'm moving back there in June, but I would have gone in any case.

The K-rock is new and is located close to hotels, bars, tons of restaurants, shopping with lots of boutiques in the downtown area. Kingston is a terrific city with many points of interest. I think most will enjoy and give it the :thumbs up:............
    Addicted to FSU

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast