Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Does anyone know if the location has been announced yet?
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    Nope, nothing yet.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Anyone want to make a bet on what's announced first - the location or the roster?

vCash
    they still haven't announced where Nationals are next year!

vCash
    I think they will announce Skate Canada and Nationals locations at the same time.

My prediction is that it will be announced next week(April 19th...) or the week after, because all skating's competitions are over now for the season(last one was Synchro Worlds this week-end).
    Last edited by quebecoise; 04-11-2010 at 10:21 PM.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Anyone want more vBets on what-ifs for both events?

vCash
    Based on an article from around worlds they were still trying to get 2013 Worlds. Maybe they're waiting to see where that ends up to decide how to spread the other events around.

vCash
    Could someone link this thread to a similar one - 2011 Nationals? - in KissandCry under Canadian Figure Skating Championship 2010?

Hoping that now that Barb MacDonald has become permanent staff at SC there may be announcements soon - I have long maintained that there must be some committments in place as you can't just instantly book arenas and organize your local committee.

vCash
    central ontario has announced Midland for their sectionals

vCash
    Just received a note from Skate Canada indicating that the Skate Canada location will be announced at the end of April and the Canadian Championships location sometime in May. These announcements are both almost 6 months later than usual. Seems very strange, but there it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marion853 View Post
    Just received a note from Skate Canada indicating that the Skate Canada location will be announced at the end of April and the Canadian Championships location sometime in May. These announcements are both almost 6 months later than usual. Seems very strange, but there it is.
    Bad news...it's SOOO LOOONNNGG!!!

vCash
    I'm sure they are waiting to see what happens with the bid to host the 2013 world championship. From that decision, they can then plan test events and be sure that the big events are moved around the country. Waiting with pins and needles...

vCash
    Argh, I wish we at least knew the area of the country, east/west, whatever!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I don't see how a potential event in March 2013 has any bearing on events in November 2010 and January 2011.

There are only so many suitable venues in the country, so if one city gets two events in 2 1/2 years, big deal. There are still one or the other of 2010-11 season events, plus two events in 2011-12 and two events in 2012-13 to balance things out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    Argh, I wish we at least knew the area of the country, east/west, whatever!
    Someone told pat c at Canadians this year that one event would be in the east and one in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I don't see how a potential event in March 2013 has any bearing on events in November 2010 and January 2011.

There are only so many suitable venues in the country, so if one city gets two events in 2 1/2 years, big deal. There are still one or the other of 2010-11 season events, plus two events in 2011-12 and two events in 2012-13 to balance things out.
    http://twitter.com/SkateCanadaCEO/statuses/10243133133

@JoyousJulie @SkateCanadaCEO Hopefully soon. Getting close. Have a new bid procedure this season and taking a bit longer.
    3:21 PM Mar 9th via UberTwitter in reply to JoyousJulie

SkateCanadaCEO
    William Thompson
    Sounds like they're having some issues with the new bidding process. They're actually holding a workshop on how to bid for an event at the ACGM this year. One of my friends commented that if you need to have a workshop, the process is probably too hard.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Is it true, or just a rumour that the location for Skate Canada will be announced in November?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Is it true, or just a rumour that the location for Skate Canada will be announced in November?

It sure feels like it doesn't it?
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    the bid process is complicated and you need to do A LOT of leg work before even submitting it. Rationale for doing it the new way. If SC wants to continue receiving funding from the gov't it must rotate the competitions aorund the country. In some instances the costs greatly out weight the revenues coming in. If clubs bid on it, they will have an established volunteer base, a lot of the leg work will be done for htem and in reality only bigger areas with support will bid on events. That means that SC doesnt have to rotate events but they still get their funding (we could see the same location recieve events year after year based on the new structure)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Ha ha, the event is supposed to be October 29-31, so probably.....

vCash
    Well, I hope it's not in some far-off corner of Canada...........there are a lot of them

I was hoping for Kingston but I guess that too much to hope for at this point, but Montreal would be nice.
    Addicted to FSU

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast