Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Arrow Superstars on Ice 5/18-19 near Chicago (Hamilton, Bradley, Rippon, Sandhu, Wagner...)

The small-venue "Superstars on Ice" show did not take place last year but returns this year with two 7 pm shows on Tuesday, May 18 & Wednesday, May 19 at the Skatium Ice Arena in Skokie, Illinois.

Scott Hamilton is the headliner and other skaters scheduled to perform are (listed alphabetically): Ryan Bradley, Steven Cousins, Christina Gao, Alexe Gilles, Dan Hollander, Kimmie Meissner, Brandon Mroz, Adam Rippon, Emanuel Sandhu, and Ashley Wagner. 2010 U.S. junior men's champion Jason Brown will be one of the featured Chicago area skaters.

Tickets are $70 and I was informed today that there are around 50 seats left for both shows.

The Skatium is located at 9300 Weber Park Place. For up-to-date show and ticket information, call 847-674-1510.

Link to the Skatium Ice Arena page for directions to the rink: http://www.skokieparkdistrict.org/sp...mIceArena.aspx

vCash
    Ooh, that sounds like a good one! Wish I could go!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Wish I could go cause Ryan's gonna be there!!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Is anyone from the Chicago area planning to go to this show next week?

moving right along
    vCash
    WOW! I envy all of you who can go to this show. What a fantastic cast, including these rarely seen gems: Sandhu and Meissner. And you get RyanB.

vCash
    This will probably be the start of seeing Sandhu appearing more often in various skating events/shows.

I think singing and dancing have been attempted with little success. His money maker is pretty much skating, so I have expect he'll try to get some income from that source while he's able.

vCash
    Don't really care about the ladies, but I would really like to see the male skaters...especially Sandhu. I miss his skating.

vCash
    Sandhu is also appearing in the Glenview Ice Arena ice show next weekend (5/21 - 5/22)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    This will probably be the start of seeing Sandhu appearing more often in various skating events/shows.
    Sandhu has performed in this "Superstars" show before and reportedly was asked back because of his popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    Sandhu is also appearing in the Glenview Ice Arena ice show next weekend (5/21 - 5/22)
    Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if he is appearing in the final Sunday afternoon show or just the Friday and Saturday shows? I've reposted your info in the Club shows thread at: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...3&postcount=16

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's an unofficial music list from last night's Superstars show from someone who attended -- all the invited guests did 2 programs:

Scott Hamilton (recovering from a shoulder? injury so couldn't do much) - duet with Dan Hollander (with the walker) & the golf number with Hollander and Steven Cousins
    Kimmie Meissner - Halo ("she looked really happy") & I've Got a Feeling
    Adam Rippon - Are You Gonna Be My Girl & Cinema Paradiso
    Ryan Bradley - Kung Fu Fighting & his Baroque medley FS
    Ashley Wagner - Speechless & Ain't No Other Man
    Dan Hollander - Richard Simmons number & Single Ladies
    Steven Cousins - Danny Boy & Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Emanuel Sandhu - a jazz mix & Purple Rain
    Brandon Mroz - his SP & Grease
    Christina Gao - Ave Maria by Beyonce & a Cirque du Soleil piece
    Alexe Gilles - Singles Ladies & A Moment Like This
    Jason Brown - Time of my Life & a swing number
    Blake Rosenthal - Let's Get Loud & a Ginger Rogers-type program

If anyone went last night or is going tonight, please share your impressions, highlights, etc. - thanks in advance!

vCash
    Absolutely loved the Tuesday show, I think it was sold out.
    Sandhu and Ryan got the biggest applause IMO, Adam and Brandon also did fine.
    Not as impressed by the ladies, Alexe and Kimmie certainly had an off night.
    The syncro team Chicago Jazz was a nice surprise, so was Chicago Ice Theater.
    ETA: great meet and greet, I wish I brought my skates for autographs!!

vCash
    I went to the Wednesday show. Somebody canceled a ticket, so I could find a seat at the front center just a few hours before the show started. My view was splendid.

I will just add some random thoughts on the performances. The show lasted more than three hours, which makes me impossible to remember all the details:

Scott Hamilton - Due to his shoulder injury, he could not attempt jumps. So Dan Hollander and Steven Cousins did jumps for him. If I heard correctly, the first number was choreographed by Dan. Both numbers were really funny and entertaining.

Kimmie Meissner - She did only double axels. Still she looked really happy and enjoying her performances. Her numbers were choreographed nicely and had the real characters of show programs. I wonder who is the choreographer of these.

Emanuel Sandhu - This is the first time I saw him live. Wow! He had such a commanding presence and musicality. The first number did not have any jumps. Well, he did not need any of it. His footwork and dance movements were enough to impress me, and they reminded me of Kurt Browning. His second number did have one (or two?) jump and a gorgeous combination spin.

Adam Rippon - I liked his Cinema Paradiso better than Are You Gonna Be My Girl. He did both Tano and Rippon Lutzes during Cinema Paradiso.

Ryan Bradley - His second number was full of attention grabbing moments, which was supposed to be a shorter version of his LP. But it did not feel like the one. Did they completely overhaul the choreography? It became a funny, cozy show program. Ryan started the program with a backflip (or was it a cartwheel?) with one foot landing. His jumps were good and never showed he had a broken foot.

Dan Hollander - This is the second time I saw his Richard Simmons number. I enjoyed it better than the first time. His second number parodied one of those reality shows. There was a panel of three judges and one of them was none other than Sandhu. The judges give some remarks, Dan changes his outfit and starts all over again (boxer pants -> tutu -> leopard), which was really funny.

Christina Gao - This young lady tried combination jumps (3-3 or 3-2?) during her programs. I got impressed.

Alexe Gilles - Her jumps were a bit off during the first number, but came back for the second.

Starlights - I really enjoyed their performance. This is the first time I saw a high-level synchronized team performance. The music and choreography were creative and expressive.

Meet and Greet - It was organized well. Scott Hamilton was standing in front of the room, greeted every one in the waiting line, gave his signatures, and took photos together. I got so impressed that I forgot to say thanks to him when he signed my program book.

The arena is small. In my estimation, they have seatings for 1000 people. No wonder the ticket price was on the higher side. Considering the number of guests and their performances, I feel the ticket was worth every penny of it.
    Last edited by seabm7; 05-21-2010 at 04:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Kimmie Meissner - She did only double axels. Still she looked really happy and enjoying her performances. Her numbers were choreographed nicely and had the real characters of show programs. I wonder who is the choreographer of these.
    Chris Conte, Kimmie's new coach (per the USFS website article). He is based in MD and VA and has worked with Tommy Steenberg, Tim Goebel, and some other elite skaters.

Thanks for the review!

vCash
    I have a question for those who went: was the seating comfortable? I went to a show in Skokie several years ago and the seating was cement bleachers, even for front row. I was so uncomfortable that I had to leave after the first act.

Every year I think about going, but need to know if the seats are better. TIA and if it's good news, I'll try to go next year! Sounds like a terrific show and thanks to all who shared reviews!!

-Bridget

vCash
    It is still bleachers with the plastic cap/cover. I noticed some people brought chair cushions or stadium cushions with them. I used my jacket instead.

vCash
    It sounds like a fun show but the title is a little misleading. Most of these people aren't stars, much less superstars. I don't even know who Jason Brown is. But I enjoyed the review, so thanks.

vCash

Jason Brown

Jason is the 2010 Jr. Mens champion. He's from the Skokie FSC so I imagine he was invited because of the local connection. I saw him in Spokane and he is a light, lyrical skater. Didn't have a 3A at Nationals, but was quite pleasant to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    It sounds like a fun show but the title is a little misleading. Most of these people aren't stars, much less superstars. I don't even know who Jason Brown is. But I enjoyed the review, so thanks.
    All of these events have cheesy names. Tickets wouldn't exactly get sold if it were titled "Okay but not Extraordinary Skaters on Ice".

Thanks for the review, Seabm7. Sounds like it was a good show. I would have loved to see Adam, Ashley and Ryan.

vCash
    There is a video of Kimmie performance of I've Got a Feeling on youtube and she looks excellent. For somebody who has not competed in over a year and has hardly performed, she looks pretty solid. Her double axle was huge and her spin was much better than its been. The spin was faster and much more centered. Good for her. I hope she can make a big comeback next year. Oh and its so good to see her with good choreography!!!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    There is a video of Kimmie performance of I've Got a Feeling on youtube
    Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpe3qlVkPHE

2 more home videos from the 5/19 show:

Adam Rippon's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcSG-veD2Q8

Scott Hamilton with Dan Hollander: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6-b8uci20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast