Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I wish, but I'm already in the middle of one group reading (and reading about twenty other books at the same time). I'll have to read it on my own later, when I've finished a few of my current ones. It's a good idea, though!
    No worries! What book is your group reading? (if I may ask )
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens. We're up to chapters 15 & 16 this week.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Glowing review from the Washington Post. The part about her mother sounds interesting. I've sometimes wondered how much of her characterization of her mother was plain fact, how much was normal teen daughter/mother stuff, and how much was a result of being cooped up together for so long. Any relationship would sour a little under the circumstances, I think, especially one that wasn't strong to begin with.

BTW, has anyone read the Francine Prose book? It sounds fascinating.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I set this to record, looking forward to it!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Yes, it did make quite a bit of news when the additional five pages of Anne's diary were returned to the Netherland's Department for War Documentation. Otto had held the pages back all those years because Anne had implied that her parent's marriage was a marriage of convienience. She actually showed sympathy for her mother, knowing that while Edith was truly in love with Otto, her love was not returned. Anne wrote that her father had admiration and respect for Edith as a mother, but not romantic love, and that it was was difficult for Anne to see her mother's love go unreturned. I think that Anne's observations were a bit too close for comfort as far as Otto was concerned.

There are some who feel that by holding back these pages, Otto did a disservice to Anne (by omitting from her diary,) the one time that Anne really did show understanding and compassion for her mother.

Of course, it's easy too look back and understand why Otto would not have wanted those observations to become public. Some of Edith's family (the Hollanders) have long felt that Otto married Edith because her large dowery was needed to clear up debts from when the Frank family banking business collasped. Otto was only human, and "arranged" marriages really weren't so uncommon back in the 20's. Anne felt strongly that her father had been deeply in love with someone else when he was a young man, that Edith sensed it and knew that she wasn't love of Otto's life and never would be...
    The biographies by Carol Ann Lee, written about Anne and Otto, were quite eye-opening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Glowing review from the Washington Post. The part about her mother sounds interesting. I've sometimes wondered how much of her characterization of her mother was plain fact, how much was normal teen daughter/mother stuff, and how much was a result of being cooped up together for so long. Any relationship would sour a little under the circumstances, I think, especially one that wasn't strong to begin with.

BTW, has anyone read the Francine Prose book? It sounds fascinating.
    I have the Francine Prose book and have picked through parts of it, but I haven't read all of it yet. I'm not quite sure exactly what I was expecting, but it didn't make me want to stay with it. It was easy for me to set it aside for other books, if that makes any sense...

Maybe I'll pick it back up today and give it another try.

Carole Ann Lee is reported to be a "world authority on Anne Frank," but her book "Roses From the Earth," has three pieces of very wrong information in it. I'm suprised they weren't caught during the editing stage.

vCash
    I cried. . . .

This was an excellent version. They did a particularly good job of conveying the cramped quarters and the resulting claustrophobia and raw nerves. And of balancing out the viewpoints (except for Mrs. van Daan, who was still way over the top), and of creating a kind of trajectory for Anne from little girl to strong but self-absorbed adolescent to confident young woman. She was very much warts and all (although the "shocking" scene was exceedingly mild!) and it was understandable that what she saw as independence, others would see as being mouthy. The part near the end where it seemed like everyone was practically standing in line to tell her off was a little much; maybe that could have flowed more naturally if they'd had more time to tell the story, and had been able to space out the conversations more. Still, it helped the character development. The part with Margot was especially well done.

If anyone was "saintly" here, in my opinion, it was Anne's parents! They were flawed but still massively patient and understanding. Quite the role reversal.

Anne's last scene with Mr. Dussel at the end was so moving and sweet.

vCash
    I'm sorry, but I wasn't that impressed by it...something was missing.

vCash
    I really enjoyed it. I really want to get the Definitive Edition now because I last read this book in school so I am more than sure we got the edited version.

I noticed, and liked, how they treaded carefully when it came to Anne's mother. There was the scene at the beginning where Anne was reading from her diary and she mentions her mothers incessant nagging. However, the visual we get is simply of her mother saying "Anne??" and Anne rolling her eyes and seemingly over-reacting. It allowed the viewer to make up their mind, believe what you hear or what you see? Nice job with that, I thought.
    Last edited by BigB08822; 04-12-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I didn't care much for it either.

Anna was so damned annoying. Mrs. Van Daan was too, but somehow, I still ended up really liking her for whatever reason. I suppose it was the acting.

vCash
    I didn't watch the PBS broadcast but I can't get over how much editing must have gone on to get this to run under two hours. I watched the original BBC five-part series and it is listed in IMDB with a run time of 150 minutes!

vCash
    What it ever finally determined who told the authorities about the families hiding in the annex? I know there had been a lot of theories over the years but just wondering if the full story ever came out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    I didn't care much for it either.

Anna was so damned annoying. Mrs. Van Daan was too, but somehow, I still ended up really liking her for whatever reason. I suppose it was the acting.

I really couldn't stand Mrs Van Daan and have to wonder if she was really that way in real life or if she was more understanding and grateful to the Franks for giving her family a place to hide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nalgene View Post
    I didn't watch the PBS broadcast but I can't get over how much editing must have gone on to get this to run under two hours. I watched the original BBC five-part series and it is listed in IMDB with a run time of 150 minutes!
    Maybe that was it. All the other versions I've seen of this have been longer than two hours - anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to four hours. I like the 2001 version mainly 'cause it also deals with the Franks' family life before they went into hiding and their ordeal in the camps after they were betrayed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nalgene View Post
    Really?? I know PBS edits most of their movies, but I didn't know it had been edited as much as that. Wow.

I didn't recognize Felicity Jones (Margot) at all -- even forgot I'd seen her name in the advertising -- although I had really liked her in Northanger Abbey. She did a terrific job.

vCash
    Here's an article that address the "saint" issue:

http://detnews.com/article/20100411/...S-film-asserts

vCash
    I didn't know Margot also kept a diary! What a shame it was lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    What it ever finally determined who told the authorities about the families hiding in the annex? I know there had been a lot of theories over the years but just wondering if the full story ever came out.
    AFAIK, No. They still do not know who outted the families.

---------------

I'm really sad I missed this. Me and my mom discovered it was on when it was over

vCash
    I saw the Definitive Version today at Barnes and Noble for only $7.00 Is this the best version to buy? I don't want to buy the version that was mentioned earlier in the thread where it has multiple editions in one. I just would like to own the diary but have it be as complete as possible, with nothing edited or left out. I almost bought it but put it back on the shelf to come here and make sure it was the right one to get. Can anyone help?
    -Brian

vCash
    ^^^Yes, this is the version with the extra passages. The one with the multiple versions is called The Critical Edition. I remember getting it out of the library once, the book was so thick it would have made a good doorstop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12