Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Just wanted to add that while the basic white Macbook will likely be plenty sufficient, if you want a MacBook Pro I'd wait for the next upgrade which is overdue. Either you get the new Intel Arrandale i5-i7 processors, or you'd likely have a discount on the current models.

vCash
    Ajax, before you go shopping, if you haven't already, take a look here: http://store.apple.com/us

It might give you some sense of what you want/need.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    My kids resisted Macs all through elementary school, middle school, and most of HS. whined, because the home computer was always a Mac (I need it for graphics).
    Not you, cruisin, but I always get a kick out of the mac-phobes who claim a Mac is only good for graphics. Erm...what are graphics but massive number-crunching? It's a very intuitive OS. i mean, shutting down a PC always makes me chuckle, you have to go to "start"?!?
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Not you, cruisin, but I always get a kick out of the mac-phobes who claim a Mac is only good for graphics. Erm...what are graphics but massive number-crunching? It's a very intuitive OS. i mean, shutting down a PC always makes me chuckle, you have to go to "start"?!?
    I hear ya! I started with Mac mostly because I needed the graphic capacity that PC's just couldn't manage. However, that may have been the initial reason, but now I wouldn't use anything but a Mac even if I were not looking for graphics.

I love that you mention the "start" to shut down on PC's, I could never figure out the logic. Macs are just more logical and intuitive.

vCash
    Ajax, before you go shopping, if you haven't already, take a look here: http://store.apple.com/us

It might give you some sense of what you want/need.
    Thanks, cruisin! I went to an Apple store to ask them about the differences between the models - I wasn't too clear on what's the difference between a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. After listening to their 30 minute explanation I'm still not sure why anyone would go for a Macbook Pro. Apparently it has a backlit keyboard for that one-in-a-million situation where you'd find yourself computing in the dark (big deal, I can type without looking at the keyboard), the aluminum casing is supposed to be more durable than the white plastic of the Macbook (I don't go banging my computer into walls, in fact I rarely move it from my desk), and the Macbook actually has a bigger hard drive than the Macbook Pro - 250 GB vs 160 GB. The only plus for me of the Macbook Pro is that it has an SD card slot and I love being able to just put the card into the computer without having to fiddle around with USB cables anytime I want to upload my photos on the computer, but I'm not sure that an SD card slot is worth 200$...

Anybody have any opinions on the Macbook vs. Macbook Pro?

vCash
    Ajax - my MacBook has a backlit keyboard. It was just included, I never asked for it. I also automatically has the aluminium casing (which I put a red hard case over). I have an multicard reader (SD and CF and some others that I don't use) that plugs directly into my USB port - no cords. Obviously, I never understood why anyone would get the pro either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Anybody have any opinions on the Macbook vs. Macbook Pro?
    The MacBook is more than adequate for most purposes. My daughter has one that is now 3-4 years old. She is running the whole Adobe suite (including animation), Word, and has more music on it than anyone can fathom. It still runs fast and efficiently. My son's is starting to give him a little trouble, it's almost 6 years old and went through 4 years of hard time at college with him. It works fine, if it's plugged in, but the battery is not holding much of a charge anymore. It's not worth replacing in an older laptop, though.

vCash
    My iBook is now about 7 years old and going strong (I gave it to a friend recently).

I did buy a MacBookPro, last year. I'm thinking the processor/clock speed was faster than the MacBook, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. It's also pretty light with the aluminum case and has more recyclable components than the MacBook.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Here are some quick guides:

Macbook vs. Macbook Pro
    Mac Buyer's Guide (how soon new product is coming out) Basically, don't buy anything right now.

In my household, we've always found the second cheapest MacBook Pro (or equivalent Mac professional laptop line) to be the best deal. You tend to get better performance, hard drive space, memory slots (max RAM), for your . A better processor/more RAM can let you get more years out of the machine. We do have intensive computing needs, but all of our laptops last us around 5 years and then we pass them on to friends/family.

This post was written on an almost 5-year old PowerBook G4. If I could put some more RAM in it (I'm maxed out) and if it had an intel processor I would be right now.

vCash
    New Macbook Pros were just announced today:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

vCash
    HisWeirness and hydro, thank you so much! I was all set to order the MacPro two days ago but held off til today after seeing the links you posted, and am I glad I did! Now I can get the updated model

vCash
    That is depressing! I just bought my MacBook Pro a few months ago and bought one for my sister a few weeks ago, apparently I totally overpaid for obsolete machines!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    That is depressing! I just bought my MacBook Pro a few months ago and bought one for my sister a few weeks ago, apparently I totally overpaid for obsolete machines!
    You can return/exchange your sister's, if you bought it less than 30 (I think) days ago. Check your receipt.

vCash
    I switched to Mac in summer 2009 after using PC for 11 years. I made a decision after working a part time job on Mac. I was scared, but after 10 minutes - the machine won me. everything was so simple and easy.

It took me 2 days to switch completely after watching tutorials on apple web site and reading forums of new mac users.

I still use PC (xp) bc i have Lenovo laptop that I love. I do not like xp that much. what can I say - Mac OS owns my heart.

INTJ
    vCash
    Isn't that always the way with electronics and technology

vCash
    You can return/exchange your sister's, if you bought it less than 30 (I think) days ago. Check your receipt.
    Thanks, good point; I'll see if I can dig it up....

Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Isn't that always the way with electronics and technology
    Sadly, yes.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Thanks, good point; I'll see if I can dig it up....

Sadly, yes.
    I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but, you should return your sister's, give her yours and then keep the new one . She still get's the computer you bought her and you get the new version. I think that's only fair since you so generously bought her one.

vCash
    I think I knew someone once who bought a Mac right before a new model came out, and they got some money back from the store. So, yeah, check on that. And then just stop reading the ads/watching the commercials and so on, because there will always be a better deal, right after you buy!

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    That seems to be the way it is with all electronics. That's why once I buy I don't pay much attention to new stuff for a while, but I do keep up with the software updates. I guess it's something like, "Lalalalala, I can't hear you!"
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    News today: Apple updates Macbook Pro line

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36463931...h_and_gadgets/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast