Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I first began using a Mac when I met my bf. His desktop was a Mac. I had no trouble at all. I am sure I had to ask some questions from time to time but I didn't have any major problems because I can't recall any issues. I now have a Macbook and I love it, my bf says I love it more than I love him. hehe!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I have a MacBook Pro and do love most things about it. There are some things I really hate though. The biggest pain in my rear right now is that it won't connect to my projector because at one point I forgot to unhook the projector before shutting the lid of my computer. Now it won't recognize external displays. I've troubleshooted (troubleshot) a bunch of different ways and researched a lot online - it's a common issue and many say the only way to fix it is to re-install the operating system. (Say what?!) And even when you do, the same thing will happen again if you don't unplug a projector before shutting the computer. Talk about annoying! So Macs do have weird quirks, too.

I am still not used to the file management system and find that software like Aperture, iPhoto and iMovie store data in the most ridiculous ways. I have duplicate data everywhere and have filled my hard drive prematurely because of the weird and unexpected ways these programs behave. I'm sure I could remedy it if I could figure it out - but it's not immediately obvious and I haven't had time to play with it.

It's also annoying when a program freezes and you get the spinning colour wheel taunting you (yes, programs DO freeze with macs).

Oh, and viruses only account for about 10% of threats out there these days - malware comes in many many forms. My tech guy at school was saying that Adobe Acrobat Reader is the number one source of exploits, 2nd to flash. Both these things are cross platform - meaning it doesn't matter if you have a pc or mac, it attacks you just the same. And PDFs come across as all innocent and benign... not so much!

That all being said... I love my battery life, my portability, my wifi and bluetooth connection options that are so easy and intuitive, the speed at which this thing loads up (pretty instant), etc. Lots and lots of good points... but the more I use it, the more I find it can have its own set of frustrations too.
    Last edited by Erica Lee; 04-09-2010 at 11:30 PM.

vCash
    Do you have an Apple store nearby? Maybe they can help you. Funny that you mention this problem, because I hooked my MacBookPro up to a projector for the first time a couple weeks ago. I'm trying to remember what was odd, I think someone pulled the plug on the projector while it was plugged into my Mac, and so that wasn't a problem, just an annoyance.

vCash
    No, no apple store close by. According to the research I've done, it's common and apple knows all about the issue (has for a number of years) but has done nothing to address it or change it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    No, no apple store close by. According to the research I've done, it's common and apple knows all about the issue (has for a number of years) but has done nothing to address it or change it.
    It may just be some sort of quirk they can't address, that's a shame. Have you called Apple? They might be able to help you do something that does not involve reinstalling the OS.

Not sure why you are getting duplicate data problems. I use iPhoto a lot, and I open photos in Photoshop and Illustrator all of the time. In the case of Photoshop, it will save it's own version of the photo. Whether or not I save the changes I've made. I'm not having any hard drive problems. Everything is saved in a software format to my desktop. Could it be the way you are saving documents? I am no computer expert, so I have no idea .

vCash
    I get duplicate data because if I want to use images in Keynote, I click the "media" tab, but there's no way (I know of) to just browse for images anywhere on the hard drive - it only shows my iPhoto or Aperture libraries. I can't figure out how to drag and drop things into or out of iPhoto and Aperture libraries using finder - I have to "import" folders from within the program, which duplicates the files. I'd be happy with that and then delete where I imported them from; however, Aperture stores each photo in its own subfolder - completely impractical for transferring the files to other computers/websites/etc. So I have to export them again to have them all in one folder to upload them anywhere. It's a royal pain and I just can't get a handle on all my files and make them all work seamlessly with different programs, with my web-based needs and with my "windows brain" file management habits. I'm sure there may be ways around all this - but like I said, it's not immediately obvious to me and I haven't had the time to wrestle with it.

Just like I haven't had time to call Apple Support. My projector is at work, where I usually don't remember to have my cell phone (and there's no phone in that room so I'd have to run back and forth from the phone to the computer). My laptop is most often at home. I haven't had the three necessary pieces of equipment in the same place at the same time while also having spare time to deal with making a tech support call. Have I mentioned I'm a phone-o-phobic? Hate making phone calls, especially ones to tech support.

Anyways, I am FULL of excuses (obviously) and am not really looking to solve all these issues in this here thread. My point just is that I LOVE macs as much as the next mac fanatic, but I'm also realistic in that you DO sometimes run into issues and quirks. They're not the perfect little machines some would have you believe they are.

vCash
    Erica, I had the same issues when I used Mac at work. It was so frustrating to have to use iPhoto to get the pictures.
    I'm still considering getting a Macbook Pro next year, but there definitely are some cons to it. And yes, programs do freeze with macs, just as often as with Windows, IMO.

vCash
    Wish I could be of some help, but I am clueless with regard to your problem.
    I do realize that Macs are not perfect - I have also experienced the spinning beachball from hell. Whenever it shows up, my blood runs cold ! I've also had applications just shut down on me. It only happens with Adobe programs, though. Usually when I have Illustrator and too many Photoshop photos open.

vCash
    "Spinning beach ball from hell" hahahha that is awesome. I hadn't heard that nickname yet Suits it perfectly!

vCash
    "Spinning beach ball from hell" hahahha that is awesome. I hadn't heard that nickname yet Suits it perfectly!
    I used to work in a 100% Mac office; there it was called the "pinwheel of death".

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I had a program freeze up or quit on me but it certainly doesn't happen with anywhere NEAR the regularity of a Windows based computer. Maybe it is just me...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I have had programs quit suddenly but never freeze up the way stuff freezes on my Dell laptop. Even if I get the "pinwheel of death" I can still force quit. On my Dell, things sometimes lock up so badly I have to shut it down with the power button. The very first day I got it, I had to remove the battery to get it unlocked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    I have had programs quit suddenly but never freeze up the way stuff freezes on my Dell laptop. Even if I get the "pinwheel of death" I can still force quit. On my Dell, things sometimes lock up so badly I have to shut it down with the power button. The very first day I got it, I had to remove the battery to get it unlocked.
    Yes, that's a good point. No matter how "frozen" a program gets - as in I can't even click on the drop down menus at the top. I can always force quit from the dock. If that happens a few times in a row, I re-start the computer (which is faster than shutting down completely) and it clears it up. Honestly, freezing does not happen very often, though.

My biggest problem is losing work when n app. suddenly closes. But, it is usually my own fault, for not saving often enough and for having too many items open at once.

vCash
    I have a MacBook Pro and do love most things about it. There are some things I really hate though. The biggest pain in my rear right now is that it won't connect to my projector because at one point I forgot to unhook the projector before shutting the lid of my computer. Now it won't recognize external displays. I've troubleshooted (troubleshot) a bunch of different ways and researched a lot online - it's a common issue and many say the only way to fix it is to re-install the operating system. (Say what?!) And even when you do, the same thing will happen again if you don't unplug a projector before shutting the computer. Talk about annoying! So Macs do have weird quirks, too.

I am still not used to the file management system and find that software like Aperture, iPhoto and iMovie store data in the most ridiculous ways. I have duplicate data everywhere and have filled my hard drive prematurely because of the weird and unexpected ways these programs behave. I'm sure I could remedy it if I could figure it out - but it's not immediately obvious and I haven't had time to play with it.

It's also annoying when a program freezes and you get the spinning colour wheel taunting you (yes, programs DO freeze with macs).

Oh, and viruses only account for about 10% of threats out there these days - malware comes in many many forms. My tech guy at school was saying that Adobe Acrobat Reader is the number one source of exploits, 2nd to flash. Both these things are cross platform - meaning it doesn't matter if you have a pc or mac, it attacks you just the same. And PDFs come across as all innocent and benign... not so much!

That all being said... I love my battery life, my portability, my wifi and bluetooth connection options that are so easy and intuitive, the speed at which this thing loads up (pretty instant), etc. Lots and lots of good points... but the more I use it, the more I find it can have its own set of frustrations too.
    Don't get me started on projector + Dell laptop issues that I have daily at school. My favorite is that if the projector is disconnected and you have not switched the view function back to computer only, the laptop screen goes blank until you restart the computer. Or how it resets the screen resolution randomly every time I use it with the projector. Our tech people helpfully explained to me that an "old" laptop gets "quirky". Yes. I understand now. Because they gave me this one when it was brand new 15 months ago and it's only been used for 12 (shut down and stored for the summer).

I would pay them to hook my Macbook up to the network.

vCash
    Trust me, I am not "pro PC" either. I'm just saying, all computers have their quirks and frustrations. There's no "magically awesome" computers out there. I've seen people shell out significantly more money for a mac thinking it will be the holy grail of computers - and while I do still think they are better overall than PCs, I'm no longer 100% sure they've won me over for life.

At least with your Dell projector issues, you can still use both pieces of equipment eventually. I can't use a projector with my mac. EVER (until I reinstall OS). Because I made a mistake ONCE. Restarting the computer is a heck of a lot of an easier fix than reinstalling the OS.

Another teacher in my school made the same mistake and has the same problem. Two or three students with macs have the same problem, too. I am the resident "tech expert" at school, unofficially. Kids bring me their laptops after school constantly to ask me to help them with this or that - which is how I started to notice the pattern and started to do more research about it. We're all so used to hot swapping and not having to worry about having to unplug things in certain orders - apparently with macs and projectors, you do have to still do it in a certain order or else face the "detect displays" feature to not work at all.

I have had major major issues with PCs too. I've had to reinstall OSs there as well. My Vista machine, last year, would boot to the password screen, I would put it in, and then all I'd get was a cursor on a black screen. That was fun times.

So I'm not trying to do the mac vs pc debate. I hear both sides. I'm just saying both kinds of computers have small and large annoyances.

vCash
    Restarting this POS Dell takes about five minutes and it currently will not store my network profile, so every restart means that it has to reset everything. I cannot access my docs without going to the c drive and can't save anything new unless it is attached to an existing doc in the c-drive. "Quirk" hardly seems like an accurate description of these issues. I used to be in the neutral camp as well, having used other people's Macs and having a reasonably well-functioning HP desk top at work. Now I have an awesome Macbook at home that does not have "quirks" let alone "issues" and struggling with my second POS Dell laptop at work--which also won't hibernate when closed, it continues to run as far as we can tell, then hibernates when opened again and has to be shut down manually by holding the power button for 30 seconds or so and restarted to function, so if I have to take the computer to another room I have to carry it open----I've turned into an Apple person, complete with the sticker on my car.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Because I am more familiar with PCs, since I use them 98% of the time, I thought it was just me who could not figure out why my photos were stored in multiple places. I did learn that if you deleted one of the images, its clones would disappear as well. Too bad I didn't make note of which image was the master and where it was located.

Need to spend more time researching this, but my at-home computer is - for me, at least - just for fun.

vCash
    At least with your Dell projector issues, you can still use both pieces of equipment eventually. I can't use a projector with my mac. EVER (until I reinstall OS). Because I made a mistake ONCE. Restarting the computer is a heck of a lot of an easier fix than reinstalling the OS.
    I know you've said it would be a big pain in the butt, but you really should give the Apple Geniuses a shot at helping you. It may be that your only option is re-installing the OS, but (fingers crossed) they may have another option you can try. I know that they have helped me numerous times, with little corners I've backed myself into . You sound a whole lot more tech savvy than I am, so other than suggesting that you contact Apple, I cannot give you much advice.

I know you said that you are not close to an Apple Store, but how far away is the nearest? They are usually in malls, so maybe (if it's not too far), you could plan a shopping trip with a friend?

vCash
    If you just want a basic computer, go with the MacBook. You'll save money, and it sounds like you don't need the extra things that come with the Pro. I also suggest going for the Office for Mac--it'll make downloading things so much easier and make your computer more compatible with a still very-PC world.

As far as converting, I have a PC at school, but my parents are on Macs at home (and I'm kind of jealous of them because they're pretty, but I actually haven't--fingers crossed--had many issues with my PC). The biggest difference for me was getting used to the operating system, as someone who grew up with Windows. I'd minimize or save something and then have absolutely no idea where it went, but you'll get used to that really quickly. I tried to install a few programs from my PC onto my parents' Mac and ran into a few compatibility issues there, so that was a bit annoying, but other than that, there really isn't a huge difference.

As far as Macs not crashing, though, they're not the perfect computer. You'll soon learn to hate that @$@! beach ball thing, and my Mac doesn't seem to freeze any more or less frequently than my PC (which is on Windows 7). They are less prone to viruses, however, which is certainly nice. And if you're into taking photos or anything, I think that the Mac program, iPhoto, is infinitely better than anything that Microsoft has put out recently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstars View Post
    IThe biggest difference for me was getting used to the operating system, as someone who grew up with Windows. I'd minimize or save something and then have absolutely no idea where it went,
    I'm puzzled by that problem. Whenever I save something, I select where I want it saved.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast