Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash

Wear the wrong prom dress and get spanked?

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...ess%2F19425583

I can see not letting her in the door of the prom, but the choice of three day suspension or getting paddled is

I can see banning the dress for the ugliness factor as well.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    that is one unfortunate dress, like if The Little Mermaid had a negligee
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

4 More Years
    vCash
    It is a somewhat unfortunate dress but the reaction is ridiculous and umm excuse me? Paddling? Even the 3 day suspension is ridiculous, just send them home if the dress violates the dress code.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I saw the video on CNN and my jaw dropped when I heard that they had an option of 3 day suspension or a paddling! They still paddle school children, much less high school children!? Unreal! I am not one of those people who hates any kind of corporal punishment but I would not want someone else spanking my child. I don't see why this even came up, they should have just immediately sent the kids home and told them they knew the rules and they should have followed them if they wanted in. They could go home and try to change quickly or miss out, too bad. I know at my high school the dress code rules were strictly enforced and everyone got them made explicitly clear. If you still showed up out of dress code then they had no pity for you and sent you home. No detention or paddling or anything, just go home!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I can't believe this girl was the only one who chose suspension over paddling. I agree with her - it's not the 1940s, why is paddling of teenagers even allowed anymore?

But that is one ugly dress. And she's fooling herself if she thinks there's no cleavage showing...
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I can't believe this girl was the only one who chose suspension over paddling. I agree with her - it's not the 1940s, why is paddling of teenagers even allowed anymore?

But that is one ugly dress. And she's fooling herself if she thinks there's no cleavage showing...

I wonder if some felt they had no choice. Could a suspension impact grades? At my school, you could not make up any work that you missed while you were suspended. If you missed major tests or presentations that could impact grades, class standings and even scholarships

vCash
    At my high school if you were unsure of a dress being inappropriate you could take pics of yourself wearing it and show it to a teacher on the prom committee and make sure it was approved. I always did this because I did not want to blow money on my prom just to be turned away at the door.

vCash
    What do they mean by "cleavage below the breastbone"? If they're referring to the sternum that starts up by the clavicle, so do they expect the girls to wear turtlenecks? I agree it's an unfortunate dress, but the punishment is rather shocking - especially with such vague rules.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I'm sure the rules are made clear to the girls about what cleavage is. However, even if the rules are unusually strict, her dress had TONS of cleavage and she didn't think it was a problem, nor did her mother. All I saw was cleavage with that dress.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I'm sure the rules are made clear to the girls about what cleavage is. However, even if the rules are unusually strict, her dress had TONS of cleavage and she didn't think it was a problem, nor did her mother. All I saw was cleavage with that dress.
    The look on her face when she said "What cleavage?" was so funny. I would hat to see what she would deem too much cleavage.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Uh ... when I can see 3/4's of your friggin' boobs girlie, there is too much clevage. Not to mention that dress is BUTT UGLY and she looks ridiculous in it.

vCash
    Pretty color, though...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    She thinks "what cleavage" in relation to her dress? Good heavens, maybe she thinks cleavage means topless..

With that wrap on, it gave me a flashback to Kathy Bates wearing something like that in "Fried Green Tomatoes" (I think it was that movie).

vCash
    It's a hideous dress (though I am a huge fan of tulle, personally, just not seafoam green tulle), but she's a lot more covered than many of my students will be at our prom.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Girls wear more revealing dresses to my daughter's high school winter and spring formals here. Many of them wear sparkly tops as mini dresses and look equally as horrid.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    It's a hideous dress (though I am a huge fan of tulle, personally, just not seafoam green tulle), but she's a lot more covered than many of my students will be at our prom.
    exactly my thoughts. When my kids went to prom - last one was 7 years ago, they had a list of what was appropriate and what was not. There were teachers and parents at the door, inspecting for violations. Mostly related to gang colours/displays but still had inappropriate dress rules. Some of the restrictions for the girls:

A backless gown can not show "butt cracks"
    Side slits must not reveal the undergarments (i.e. thongs) lack of undergarments
    Gowns a la JLo infamous gown are not acceptable

And to be fair - the restrictions for the guys were there too including:
    No saggy jeans - just as the girls can not show butt cracks neither can you guys.
    No t-shirts with inappropriate words - refer to student code of conduct for rules.
    Tuxes not required (as many of the students were from low, low income households), but dress slacks and dress shirt.

AFAIK, they were only denied entrance to the prom. Not suspended and certainly not paddled.

Inappropriate dresses allow the adults to paddle, a wet dream for the school principal and school board?

vCash
    How on earth is it even legal for a school to paddle it's pupils?!

That dress really is terrible, though. And the fact that she doesn't think she's showing cleavage concerns me

vCash
    Dress aside, let's talk about the paddling. Now, I believe in spankings if done at the right time in the right circumstances. There's nothing morally wrong about them. But I would never, ever spank a child over the age of 10 or 12. The fact that paddling was even an OPTION for HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS is unreal! How on earth is that appropriate under any circumstance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Dress aside, let's talk about the paddling. Now, I believe in spankings if done at the right time in the right circumstances. There's nothing morally wrong about them. But I would never, ever spank a child over the age of 10 or 12. The fact that paddling was even an OPTION for HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS is unreal! How on earth is that appropriate under any circumstance?
    I can't believe 17 students chose that option...

They should have just not admitted her to the prom...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I don't have a problem with smacking (smacking=spanking in Australia) if it's a parent. No one but me or the child's father will ever be given permission to smack my child (if we decide to smack, and we probably won't). I can control the force of smacking I do myself, but not those done by others. There is absolutely no way to tell if the person doing the smacking has a personal issue with the child and therefore smacks harder than I think is appropriate - and what is appropriate to me, may not be the same as what another person feels is appropriate, which is why others won't ever be permitted to smack my child.

In this case, I think smacking and suspension are both unreasonable punishments, however I do wonder if they knew in advance the punishments for violating the dress code, and if they had opportunity in advance to check if their outfits were appropriate. If they knew the punishment, and had the opportunity to check and didn't, then they really shouldn't be complaining now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast