Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Jana K skating with someone who has had so little ice dance training and experience?! This I gotta see......
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Have I said I find this intriguing ,amusing, bizarre ,entertaining, wild and wacky ...and I want to see it just to satisfy my own curiosity ?

I know I have,...But actually, looking at things from Jana's POV...it's pretty obvious she and Novitski were being dumped , right , left and center. By the judges, by their federation..on and on.. Those with spies tell us there really isn't another partner available for her in Russia right now. If the Fedor pairing can possibly work..Well, he was born in Russia,( does that mean he has Russian citizenship ?)is a Canadian citizen, but has already been released by Skate Canada ..She won't have to skip a beat ( well, maybe half a beat). She'll be able to train at the current top school, and if it proves hopeless..she'll still have three years to Sochi, and the way things are going in Russian skating, another partner might become available by next year.
    Who knows who initiated this whole thing?..Anyway , she's got nothing to lose, it seems to me, and maybe a lot to gain. At least she gets to keep her cute little toes on the ice.

vCash
    Actually I think there's a good partner for Jana in Russia - Alexander Grachev.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    Actually I think there's a good partner for Jana in Russia - Alexander Grachev.
    As in Romanovskaya&Grachev? If so, he was the worst Russian ice dancer I've seen in my life. His dancing was fine and this couple was pretty charismatic, but he had awful basics. I don't care that he's been junior world champion. Maurizio Margaglio has been senior world champion, so that doesn't mean much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I really can't see ANY reason Jana would do this.
    She must be in love!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    As in Romanovskaya&Grachev? If so, he was the worst Russian ice dancer I've seen in my life.
    Well, I don't remember him with Romanovskaya but with Platonova he was decent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQSU42U_QA
    ANY dance partner would be better for Jana than 28 y.o. single skater.

vCash
    Isn't Grachev with Platonova anymore or what?

vCash
    They're thinking about their future now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    And, sorry to you all, but Shabs made Margalio look good!
    Stop it, you're just embarassing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by *Kim* View Post
    one simple questin...who the hell had this idea?
    Russian Fed's. So it must be some politick thing.

I am almost inclined to believe they are sacrificing Khoklova to make Zueva happy so that they agree to take on Bobrova/Soloviev half-price or something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

I am almost inclined to believe they are sacrificing Khoklova to make Zueva happy so that they agree to take on Bobrova/Soloviev half-price or something like that.
    wow, is that confirmed news that russian fed wanted this team up or was it her own decision.

anyways if they are thinking politicing path they should andreev and khoklova to L/K, by doing that they will have all the super powers of politicing covered.

i hope both I/K and B/S are not scarified next year for K/A, especially I/K considering russians have only two spots for the world championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    anyways if they are thinking politicing path they should andreev and khoklova to L/K, by doing that they will have all the super powers of politicing covered.
    It's Z/S, not L/K that are clearly top ice dance coaches atm.

They are also very very expensive. Most Russian skaters could never afford them. So maybe Russian Fed is trying to find a way in.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-01-2010 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    As in Romanovskaya&Grachev? If so, he was the worst Russian ice dancer I've seen in my life. His dancing was fine and this couple was pretty charismatic, but he had awful basics. I don't care that he's been junior world champion. Maurizio Margaglio has been senior world champion, so that doesn't mean much.
    I could not agree more.

Partway through his FD at 2004 World Junior en route to his Jr World title, I turned to the person beside me and said..." He can't skate"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    I bet they're seeing each other. Maybe the try-out on the ice didn't go so good on the ice, but...

Please no, I can accept desperation but not blind whee-hee-hee heart reasons for such a strange and risky decision

All Khokhlova/Novitski situation after worlds has been shock after shock

vCash
    Is there a chance that Andreev has had some ice dance experience behind the scenes that we don't know about? His career was idle for many years, who knows what he was doing on the ice then... Nevertheless he doesn't have any ice dance competition experience.
    Also, there's a chance that this partnership is meant for the professional circuit, as it is neither one can assure a good career for themselves, but with a few international exposure, and if they click in terms of personality, it could make a world of difference, just a thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    I've thought it'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Arctic Edge for a few years now, but I'd seriously KILL for a reality show of this. Surely there's a cable network that needs some added reality show drama?
    Last week on Survivor: Canton, Tessa & Scott won yet another reward challenge and posed for the cameras in Toronto, while Madison & Greg formed a secret alliance with Maia & Alex to oust Meryl & Charlie. Then newcomers Jana & Fedor showed up and quickly alienated Emily & Evan by waving their vast collection of passports in their face. Six elite couples are already here. Who'll be voted in?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Last week on Survivor: Canton, Tessa & Scott won yet another reward challenge and posed for the cameras in Toronto, while Madison & Greg formed a secret alliance with Maia & Alex to oust Meryl & Charlie. Then newcomers Jana & Fedor showed up and quickly alienated Emily & Evan by waving their vast collection of passports in their face. Six elite couples are already here. Who'll be voted in?

vCash
    It's Z/S, not L/K that are clearly top ice dance coaches atm.

They are also very very expensive. Most Russian skaters could never afford them. So maybe Russian Fed is trying to find a way in.
    Just out of curiosity, how expensive is it to train with Igor & Marina (vs. other top coaches)? And on a semi-related note, are teams like V/M and D/W getting enough funding from USFSA/Skate Canada and prize money to cover most of their training costs?

vCash

Someone, I can't remembe who mentioned that Rus. Fed. wanted to get Shpilband/Zueva to come back to Russia and coach there and they said no. Maybe they figure teaming a top ice dancer with her son will make her more amenable.

vCash
    I love the reality show scenario , squibble...

I seem to remember that during one of the Russian interviews Z/S gave during Olys, they were asked if it wasn't now very expensive to train with them. Without quoting a price , they implied that they weren't out of line with other top coaches and that there was room for flexibility since not all of their students had the same means, and had varying outside expenses ( such as living abroad ) etc. ...I don't think they were just being coy about their fees.

To me , that reads..there's a sliding scale depending on how much talent the student has, how much they can pay and how much the coaches want them as pupils.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how expensive is it to train with Igor & Marina (vs. other top coaches)? And on a semi-related note, are teams like V/M and D/W getting enough funding from USFSA/Skate Canada and prize money to cover most of their training costs?
    V/M and D/W surely must get more than enough money considering they are funded by their federations and regularly win prize money at events. Not to mention sponsorships, tours, etc.

What I am wondering is how teams like McCurdy/Coreno can afford Z/S. I guess their parents must be quite well off.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast