Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    vCash
    She weighs 42 kgs, lifts won't be a trouble, I guess. Maybe is the only element that he could make without struggle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I thought they both retired and are returning to Israel to coach?
    Yes, they both retired, but I recall reading on some of the figure skating forums that it was mainly Alexandra's decision - she is done with the skating and wants to try something else in her life, but Roman might want to continue if he had a suitable partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Has Jost broken up with Orlova? I haven't heard that yet?
    Unfortunately this is true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    TAT, Ovsiannikov, Shehovtsova and also Jana's previous coaches, Svinin and Zhuk, watched the video where Jana skates with Fedor, they did twizzles, footwork, etc. They all said that it wasn't bad at all, but Jana needs to work really hard if she wants to skate with him. I guess it means that Fedor has some experience in ice dancing
    This news makes me really happy. This shows that this team has some REAL talent and some powerful backing in the Russian federation. There is no doubt that Jana is a very talented Ice Dancer, so if she has been told that she needs to work really hard to skate with Fedor then, that says that Fedor is a very powerful and talented partner. With their talent combined they will become quite the team.

And yes, I believe that they are being put together with Sochi in mind, the Russian Federation, wants to bring some of the old coaches home, and Marina and Igor are the number #1 place for ice dancing, so in the end everybody wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IneZR View Post
    Yes, they both retired, but I recall reading on some of the figure skating forums that it was mainly Alexandra's decision - she is done with the skating and wants to try something else in her life, but Roman might want to continue if he had a suitable partner.
    That would be interesting.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Here is Yana's interview (use google translate)
    http://www.nvspb.ru/tops/yana-hohlov...jie-pary-42535
    And Yana and Sergei's video interview, all in Russian
    http://www.championat.ru/other/news-503856.html
    Yana looks fine and excited about her new partner and coaches. She said that Fedor worked with ice dancing couples as a coach and skated with them to show what they should do, so he has experience and good skating skills, can do the elements, they didn't have any problems with lifts also. The only problem is that he has no experience in skating with partner, but she hopes he will learn this. Fedor came to Moscow for a few days, but not for training, they needed to meet some people from FS federation. It was hard decision for Yana, she understands that she needs to work really hard and will try to do her best. She will go to the US in June.
    Sergei tried to joke, but it was obvious that it's not easy for him and he refused to answer some questions. Now he is planning to heal his knee and also doing some TV commentary
    Last edited by Autumn_girl; 05-26-2010 at 05:53 PM.

vCash
    Sorry if this has mentioned earlier, but I just don't feel like going through the entire thread.

Are Jana and Fedor going to skate for Russia? if not, what country will they represent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    Sorry if this has mentioned earlier, but I just don't feel like going through the entire thread.

Are Jana and Fedor going to skate for Russia? if not, what country will they represent?
    They will represent Russia

vCash
    I am so excited, this news is amazing!!! I must admit that they will be the first Russian ice dancing team that I will follow and support!!! Very exciteing times!!

vCash
    They will represent Russia
    We know Fedor is Russian and raised in Canada and had dual citizenship, but wouldn't he have had to relinquish his citizenship for one of those countries in his quest for Azerbaijan? And if so, which one? Though if it was Russian, I'm assuming he'd have no trouble regaining it since he was born in Moscow.

What's great is that he doesn't have to sit out any seasons to compete for Russia, since he hasn't competed internationally for a few years, or even nationally since the 2009 Canadians.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maggylyn View Post
    On V/M's official site, Andreev is listed as one of their coaches:

http://virtuemoir.com/thanks.php

Ever since seeing that, I've wondered in what way he could possibly be coaching an elite ice-dance team.
    I'm guessing that when Igor and Marina are away, Fedor probably watches through their practices and points out where they could improve, etc. Maybe he does more, but that at least sounds logical.

Here is Yana's interview (use google translate)
    http://www.nvspb.ru/tops/yana-hohlov...jie-pary-42535
    And Yana and Sergei's video interview, all in Russian
    http://www.championat.ru/other/news-503856.html
    Yana looks fine and excited about her new partner and coaches. She said that Fedor worked with ice dancing couples as a coach and skated with them to show what they should do, so he has experience and good skating skills, can do the elements, they didn't have any problems with lifts also. The only problem is that he has no experience in skating with partner, ....
    Seriously, isn't skating with a partner one of the most critical elements of ice dance? It's all well and good if you have the skills, but you're not two singles skaters out there. Although, if anyone knows how to choreograph to hide weaknesses in partner skating, it's S&Z. Now that there's no compulsory, I predict a lot of open hold and holding at the neck/waist type skating....
    Last edited by sap5; 05-26-2010 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    We know Fedor is Russian and raised in Canada and had dual citizenship, but wouldn't he have had to relinquish his citizenship for one of those countries in his quest for Azerbaijan? And if so, which one? Though if it was Russian, I'm assuming he'd have no trouble regaining it since he was born in Moscow.

What's great is that he doesn't have to sit out any seasons to compete for Russia, since he hasn't competed internationally for a few years, or even nationally since the 2009 Canadians.
    Yana said in the interview that Fedor has dual citizenship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I'm guessing that when Igor and Marina are away, Fedor probably watches through their practices and points out where they could improve, etc. Maybe he does more, but that at least sounds logical.
    As Yana said, he skates with them, showes some moves on ice, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    I am so excited, this news is amazing!!! I must admit that they will be the first Russian ice dancing team that I will follow and support!!! Very exciteing times!!
    I am also curiously excited about this pairing and have been rabidly following the news. I hope for everyone's sake that Fedor does better than most people think or that logically he should.

However, I can't tell you how incredibly sad it makes me to read that you have never followed or supported a Russian ice dancing team! So much beauty missed!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    No. Although Azerbaijan doesn't recognize dual citizenship, the President of AZE can make an exception, and just about any skater seeking AZE citizenship would need an exception in the first place, since none of the usual suspects could meet the language or residency requirements. I've often wondered if the reason the AZE Fed appears so incapable of filling out paperwork is that they've been told that the skaters will not be granted one or both exceptions. It's been a while since AZE granted citizenship to Fraser (and Lukanin?).

"Dual" citizenship is generally a misnomer. There are exceptions where countries have dual citizenship treaties with another country/other countries, which limits the number of treaty citizenships by law or practically to two, and I'm fairly certain that these are the only places with actual dual citizenship, where each country takes into consideration the other citizenship. Each of these countries has rules about whether citizenship is lost if the person becomes a citizen of a non-treaty country.

"Multiple" citizenship is more accurate in most cases where citizenship isn't lost by taking on another; the most common number of multiple citizenships is two. Most people with two or more citizenships are citizens of countries that don't revoke citizenship if another is taken, but where each country ignores the other citizenship and treats the person only as a citizen of their country, ex: US and Canada, unless the specific country is on a ban list. In these countries, there's no need to have a law that says two max, because none of the additional citizenships has status.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819