Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Khokhlova/Novitski - current status & future plans?

Can someone please translate this April 4th interview? Spasibo in advance!
    http://www.radiomayak.ru/tvp.html?id=225530&cid=

ETA: This link was originally posted in the "Rubleva/Shefer retire" thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ituriel View Post
    This is a post Worlds interview

K/N didn't mention anything about split or retire, but it's russian, and too long, maybe google translator isn't the best way to understand
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Can someone please translate this April 4th interview? Spasibo in advance!
    I don't have time to translate the whole thing at the moment, but just on a brief note, they don't say anything about retirement or even sitting out a season. They seem to be more focused on getting his health back on track and proceed from there. I am not quite sure where the whole retirement rumors came from (there was nothing in Russian media that I know of), I still think they've got quite a future ahead of them, if he is able have his injury taken care of. I think the whole retirement thing is rather someone's wishful thinking. ( and I hope that's all it is)

vCash
    wow there is a lot in it--mostly pointless banter by the hosts. but both Yana and Sergei sound very nice, especially Sergei, very well spoken, balanced and reasoned. No whining. Nothing definitive about the plans but nothing about retirement as well. The situation with the knee is bad enough to prevent them even from show skating for now.

vCash
    I hope he can heal. I want to see their revival

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
    I am not quite sure where the whole retirement rumors came from (there was nothing in Russian media that I know of)
    the rumors come from those who are close to Kh/N and who are hinnting at Sergei having really serious health problems.

vCash
    They seem to be more focused on getting his health back on track and proceed from there.
    Thanks to all of you for the translations! This is absolutely fantastic news for me if it's true. They are the best, most original ice dancers around and have re-sparked my interest in ice dance, which was in the doldrums since A/P retired, and I am really glad to hear there is a chance they will continue. I was crushed to think this was the end for them.

Does it say anywhere exactly what his problems are? I have heard his knee, his head [from a car accident] and some hereditary disease that killed his father. [And please God, I hope you dont tell me it's all of them].

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Does it say anywhere exactly what his problems are? I have heard his knee, his head [from a car accident] and some hereditary disease that killed his father. [And please God, I hope you dont tell me it's all of them].
    In the article above they only mention the knee. So hopefully he'll be able to get that fixed up. I really like this team as well. Night on the Bold Mountain was stunning!

BTW, I've heard all kinds of other rumors as well, sounds like that's just what they are, offseason rumors. First K&N "retire" then R&S, and neither team confirms anything, R&S were actually quite surprised to hear it themselves! The only confirmed split are Mukhortova/Trankov and it didn't come from the so called sources, but from Maxim himself. Now, that, I believe.

vCash
    George Rossano reported that they retired during the World Championships. Maybe he misunderstood? Maybe he's correct?

vCash
    Night on the Bold Mountain was stunning!
    Yes it was! And clearly showed that COP does not have to result in boring, insipid dances. IMO Firebird is also a masterpiece in the making. It's just a real shame they did not have the time to perfect their performance - that choreography is hands down the best of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    George Rossano reported that they retired during the World Championships. Maybe he misunderstood? Maybe he's correct?
    Who is George Rossano?

vCash
    George Rossano is the webmaster for IceSkating International; they do a lot of the competition reviews. K&N's alleged retirement was also mentioned by Andrea Joyce during the warm up for the next to last group of skaters in the FD at Worlds.

I hope the rumors about Sergei are proven to be wrong. Especially since they made it sound as if he was very ill and/or injured.

vCash
    I also hope, they'll be able to continue skating/competing and that Sergei will be fine/healthy again soon. They're amazing dancers and they haven't been around too long, at least they still seem pretty "new" to me. (I consider every team new until they've been around as long as Drobiazko/Vanagas were)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    They retired from the dance competition at Worlds, but there was no press release or statement from them about retiring from competition for good. The press release about their withdrawal only mentioned the knee injury and had quotes from Sergei and the coach.
    Maybe it was a kind of misunderstanding.

vCash
    Funny the use of the word "retired". I've never heard it used to refer to a team withdrawing during a competition. Guess we'll know for sure this summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Funny the use of the word "retired". I've never heard it used to refer to a team withdrawing during a competition. Guess we'll know for sure this summer.
    Could be a language thing.
    Either way, there were interviews with K&N after Worlds (such as the one above), never did they mention anything about retiring to the Russian press.This type of thing usually makes the news. Also, there's nothing on their official site regarding retirement either.

vCash
    The press release actually used the word "withdraw" ("K/N have withdrawn...").
    I just used the word "retired" in my post, knowing the sort of double meaning here.

vCash

The father of Sergei is alive

http://en.khokhlova-novitski.com/pho...ons/tv_park/59

http://en.khokhlova-novitski.com/pho...round_about/77

But the car accident is true, and the knee injury is a consequence

vCash
    I have heard his knee, his head [from a car accident] and some hereditary disease that killed his father. [And please God, I hope you dont tell me it's all of them].
    never heard of any hereditary disease
    yes, the knee is only part of the problem. the rumors are he still undergoes the consequences of brain concussion. they say he didn`t feel OK during all the season. the situation is rather like with Shabalin - he was back on ice when he still had to recover

vCash
    In European competition, the terminology of "retired" is often used in the same manner as "withdraw/withdrawn" is in the states.

vCash
    Could be a language thing.
    Either way, there were interviews with K&N after Worlds (such as the one above), never did they mention anything about retiring to the Russian press.This type of thing usually makes the news. Also, there's nothing on their official site regarding retirement either.
    The language comment does make sense. I have heard the word retired used before rather than withdraw in reference to skaters not being able to finish the competition yet for some reason that never occured to me in relation to K&N's situation in Vancouver.

So it is possible that K&N had to withdraw because of injury but will compete next season. tapdancer is right, we will find out later this summer.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast