Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: DWTS 4/5

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    They don't seem particularly embarrassed to me.
    Well, they soon will be.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    That's the thing with the voting at this stage of competition when there are many couples competing - a couple can completely tank week-after-week yet never be in danger in being eliminated because their share in viewer votes far exceeds their share in judges accumulated scores.

If you are middle of the pack judges scores + no viewer support = goodbye.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Someone made a point (maybe in last week's thread?) that perhaps the reason why folks like Kate and Buzz are so high up on DialIdol is because the folks who are voting for them are the kind that would use traditional phones that DialIdol can monitor, not text or online voting.
    But Buzz has over 700,000 followers on twitter. He may have a lot of older fans who use the phone, but he seems to have a lot of fans who are somewhat tech savvy as well.

By comparison, Evan has just under 45,000; Niecy under 20,000; Soap Opera guy under 3,000; Pamela 131,000 ; the Bachelor 16,000; and Erin Andrews around 26,000

ETA: Erin, however, seems to have gotten an Olympic Gold Medal
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 04-06-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    But Buzz has over 700,000 followers on twitter. He may have a lot of older fans who use the phone, but he seems to have a lot of fans who are somewhat tech savvy as well.

By comparison, Evan has just under 45,000; Niecy under 20,000; Soap Opera guy under 3,000; Pamela 131,000 ; the Bachelor 16,000; and Erin Andrews around 26,000
    I'd imagine that a lot of Buzz's fans are quite tech savvy. The man's an astronaut, a mechanical engineer, USAF pilot, and was part of the first manned moon landing. He's got serious tech street cred, and it would make sense that he'd have quite a fan base amongst the techie-minded out there. They'd certainly vote online, if they were voting. But are those particular people watching DWTS? Probably not.

I'm thinking that his fans who are voting are perhaps more of a phone voting base than an online voting base. Those of his fans (in real life, not online) who watch DWTS are possibly more likely to be those who are fans due to his moon mission's place in the popular culture of their era, not due to his tech credentials, and thus it's more about nostalgia and this nice old man.

But none of this is scientific - just my guess.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I love the Walk like an Egyptian, Jake and Chelsie give us a nice story.
    Laila and Maks did it better
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlU_4ghWKQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Erin's Waltz was good in most parts; blindfold bit ridiculous.
    Stolen right from Burn the Floor. I think Damian was even one of the guys in that dance.

vCash
    I'm surprised there hasn't been outrage from the religious right over Neicy's and Louis' dance. Using DWTS, the most-watched show on TV, to attack bans on gay marriage is sure to rile up Focus on the Family and other conservativ Christian groups. They already consider Disney to be evil for letting gays have special days at the Disney theme parks.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I'm thinking that his fans who are voting are perhaps more of a phone voting base than an online voting base. Those of his fans (in real life, not online) who watch DWTS are possibly more likely to be those who are fans due to his moon mission's place in the popular culture of their era, not due to his tech credentials, and thus it's more about nostalgia and this nice old man.

But none of this is scientific - just my guess.
    I've been voting for him (on line ) so that Kate will hopefully go home first. Then I'll stop voting for him.

vCash
    Agree - Bitchface Horsemane is pulling in the viewers ... like a 90 year-old flasher pulls in the gawkers. Speaking of which, I played three vids this morning -- Pamela's, Niecy's, and for the morning chortle - Kate's. Pam & Niecy did not disappoint. Er, neither did Kate ... she's so hoRRIBLE that it's almost art!

Pamela and to a lesser extent Erin are also pulling in a new market of people for the show -- straight men. Unfortunately for those ladies, a straight man is very unlikely to vote ... even if he had that desire, the fear of being "outed" for it would keep those fingers in pocket. Er, dual purpose there, I suppose.

vCash
    Really enjoyed Evan's dance. Whoever said that it reminded them of his pre-senior days said what I was thinking last night. Actually, even in his senior break-through days he was still letting his cute personality show through . And then someone decided that he had to be all broody and angst-y in his choreography. Blah. I hope we get to see more of fun, showman Evan. I've missed him!

Kate is challenging Madeleine Murray O'Hare for the title of "Most Hated Woman in America" - at least based on the opinions of everyone I know and this board. If she makes it to the final two, I will be outraged and will probably never watch this show again. It's already outragious that she wasn't eliminated last week, and now we're being punished with more robotic walking while some random song is playing.

Re: screeching during Train song. OMG! I was cracking up and wondering why Edyta and Aiden weren't messing up because of it.

I didn't care for the blindfolded waltz - too gimicky - but that Maks is a hottie so I'll cut him some slack. Erin seems to have improved, also. Last week I thought she looked kind of klutzy; almost a female version of OchoCinco, but this week she seemed to have it more together. Hopefully she stays and we'll see more improvement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I'm surprised there hasn't been outrage from the religious right over Neicy's and Louis' dance. Using DWTS, the most-watched show on TV, to attack bans on gay marriage is sure to rile up Focus on the Family and other conservativ Christian groups. They already consider Disney to be evil for letting gays have special days at the Disney theme parks.
    I would be very unhappy if outrage is expressed by anyone. And I am completely in favor of same sex marriage. However, I did think it was not the right place for making a political or moral statement. Sometimes the stars get very dramatic on DWTS, and they come across as insincere. I think it can trivialize very important issues.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    My internet died during the storm. I liked Evan/Anna and much as I hate Derek, I loved Nicole/Derek. They really had the best routine of the night. I get that Len dinged them for breaking the rules, but they were the most entertaining of the lot including Evan.

I want Ochocinco and Erin/Maks to stay around just because he's (both guys) hot and Neicy/Louis because I <3 Louis. Buzz is cute.

Bachelor, AMC spy and Kate can go in any order.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I didn't see all of Evan's performance. I've been trying to find it on the internet and can't. Does anyone know where one is? I have a Mac, so Flash won't work.

vCash
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36186318...nt-reality_tv/

The most disingenuous event of the evening was the quickstep from Derek Hough and prohibitive favorite Nicole Scherzinger, who's been dominating to the point of making the show seem boring. Wouldn't you know it, this week, Derek choreographed a quickstep that repeatedly broke the hold required for a proper quickstep and contained an illegal lift, subjecting them to a tongue-lashing from the judges and scoring penalties, including a ridiculously low score of 6 from Len Goodman. This led Scherzinger to tie Erin and end up behind Evan. Those rule violations were probably the only way such a fall from the top of the scoreboard could have happened, and it suddenly made her seem less likely to win. A highly suspicious turn of events, to say the least.
    Interesting take of Nicole and Derek's dance. Derek is on the show long enough to know better, so maybe it was a caculated move on his and the judges part to make Nicole seemed like less of a ringer in the early rounds.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I think Erin and Niecy are also OK but compared to most previous seasons, when I couldn't wait to see all the couples except for 1 or 2 yes, it is really bad.
    Thanks for reminding - I thought Erin did a good job. I know the blindfold was a gimmick, but she got noticeably better once it was on, so as a teaching trick it worked.

Didn't get to see Niecy though.

Kate is a complete trainwreck in performance - so bad it's not even funny, just horrible to watch - but I'm not getting the "she's such an awful person!" vibe from her. I totally get why she's got a lot of support. I'm no fan - I never watched J&K+8, I don't agree with glorifying people who choose to have litters, and don't think she should be a 'celebrity' in any way. But just looking at the 2 or 3 episodes of this show I've seen, she comes across as someone who knows she's in over her head but is making herself come back and try again and again. It's not going to get me to vote, but I can see why she appeals to people.

Of course, I think it would be kinder if her fans let her go.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36186318...nt-reality_tv/

Interesting take of Nicole and Derek's dance. Derek is on the show long enough to know better, so maybe it was a caculated move on his and the judges part to make Nicole seemed like less of a ringer in the early rounds.
    Maybe, but both my daughter and I said (at the same time), when they got called out for the "errors" - Derek's fault. I don't know that people will see it as a failing of Nicole's or see her as less of a ringer. So, if that was their plan, they probably give the audience too little credit.

In addition, I see that there were some breaks from required holds, etc. However, I still thought the dance worked as a quickstep. The theme, this week, was odd and every team did the same sort of breaks from requirements. Nicole and Derek were the only ones called on it. I thought there were too many props and too much irrelevant posturing from all. At least Nicole and Derek came across as dancing.

vCash
    In the picture with Erin, it looks like Evan is wearing a cross? I thought he was Jewish?

moving right along
    vCash
    [rant on] For the first time ever, I fast forwarded through several of the dances. A few of the "stars" don't interest me at all...and if they can't dance AND continue to show zero improvement, I don't enjoy watching them.

This season, I feel like there is a big disconnect between who is a good dancer and who is winning the votes. And I resent the fact that Nicole was cast as a competitor. It takes a lot of the fun/interest out of the competition having such a gap between her skills and the rest of the group's. (Plus her partner is Derek--an endless source of irritating behavior.)

I also think the 'aquarium' holding pen that they are using for the cast has destroyed the feeling of intimacy/camaraderie among the competitors that was palpable in other seasons.

And while I'm bitching, let me add that the Samantha replacement is dreadful. She's not as pretty as Sam and she has NO personality whatsoever.

The only cast members that engage my attention/sympathy: Evan (although he should continue to take his personality booster shots), Niecy, and Pamela.

Very disappointing season. [rant off]

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    In the picture with Erin, it looks like Evan is wearing a cross? I thought he was Jewish?
    Evan is Greek Orthodox, and proud of it according to remarks he has made over the years.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Nicole and Derek's number was more Broadway then quickstep to me. It was like they wanted to do a jitterbug or jive but knew they had to throw in some quickstep so they'd jump back in hold for a few bars. Entertaining and well danced, but not really quickstep.

I found Louis and Niecy's rehearsal footage to be very real and moving. I liked that he tackled this timely subject matter.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast