Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash

San Antonio travel advice?

Richard and I will be traveling to San Antonio, TX next week for the Southwestern Regional Ballet Association Festival. We'll be pretty tied up photographing all the performances and classes, but I do hope to get out a bit to see the Alamo, Riverwalk, etc. I don't have a lot of time, but I want to be sure I see everything that's good, even if not touristy. Got any advice? I'm super excited! I've always wanted to see San Antonio!

vCash
    Other than the Riverwalk and the Alamo, I can't think of anything else to see. And I used to live there....

vCash
    There was a really nice park - I think it's called Breckenridge Park? And there's also a bunch of old missions that I've never seen, but that are supposed to be really cool.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    There's Sea World if that sort of thing floats your boat

having a nice day
    vCash
    http://www.visitsanantonio.com/visit...dar/index.aspx
    you can enter dates of your visit then scroll thru the results.

http://www.visitsanantonio.com/visit...eas/index.aspx
    has pre-made itineraries

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    There was a really nice park - I think it's called Breckenridge Park? And there's also a bunch of old missions that I've never seen, but that are supposed to be really cool.
    Brackenridge Park

http://www.visitsanantonio.com/visit...x.aspx?id=2006

vCash
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help. xoxoxoxo

vCash
    La Villita is a really nice little shopping area with great local crafts. Also, try to get to one or two of the missions. They have very nice museum areas that tell you a lot about the early history of the area. Also, the governor's mansion is about 400 years old and a fascinating museum with lots of period artifacts. I don't recall the name of the nearby church, but it is the final resting place of what was left of Davy Crockett. All these sites except for the missions are within walking distance of the Riverwalk. If you have time for anything farther afield, the main museum has an excellent pre-Columbian art collection. Finally, you probably won't have time, but if you drive about an hour into hill country, there are some surprisingly good local wineries.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Yesterday's New York Times travel section had a full page on San Antonio in its "36 hours in ..." feature. It's probably online, or you might be able to get it at a bookstore today.

vCash
    I'm actually overnighting in Monroe, LA en route to San Antonio (have to go to Dallas first) so I can't go buy a NYT, but I will certainly look it up online right now! thank you so much!

vCash
    La Villita is definitely worth a trip. In addition to the missions around the city (and, you know, the Alamo), they also have a lot of really good museums. My favorite was the Witte (http://www.wittemuseum.org/). I can't remember off of the top of my head what their collections were, but I really loved it. I also suggest just walking the length of the Riverwalk too. In the mornings, it's not too crowded and you can get a good look at the restaurants that you might want to try that night. You can also take a boat ride down the river if you want to relax and sit for awhile, and I think that they offer a dinner cruise too.

As far as tourist-y places go, there's also, as someone mentioned, Sea World as well as Six Flags Fiesta San Antonio. I remember really liking Sea World (I was also twelve when we went, so that might say something), but hating Fiesta because it was so crowded and hot. They're a bit of a drive out of the city, so if you're willing to do that, you might as well go into the Hill Country too. It's really beautiful and peaceful out there, if you're into nature-related things.

The city also, if I remember correctly, has a big, week-long celebration around this time of year called Fiesta San Antonio--I'm not sure of the exact dates, though. They have parades and festivals and stuff that are a lot of fun (and also, warning, cause some traffic jams and crowds).