Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    What isn't very realistic is Henry's appearance on the Showtime series: by the time he was married to Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry had become immensely obese. Yet on TV, Henry is only very subtly aged and still slim.

Catherine was indeed allowed to run wild when under her grandmother's supervision; her mother had died when Catherine was a young child. She was brought to court by scheming relatives who saw a chance to further their own power by making her Henry's fifth wife.
    Yes true about JRM being totally wrong for the King, but given the amount of flesh being shown, a fat King isn't what I wanna see! Sorry authenticity on TV is an illusion and I for one am grateful that the producers decided on the story lines being close to accurate and not the actors!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Bumping this up. It seems like the angle they went for in regards to the motivation for Kitty's affair is that Henry wasn't always up to performing his husbandly duties due to his health and age. And they have tried to make him look less attractive with the slick hair and goatee.

In Episode 3, Bishop Gardiner said something to the effect that Henry Howard was a Lutheran. I thought the Howards were Catholics. In fact, I was always under the impression that the only reason why Queen Mary sprung Thomas Howard from the Tower was because the Howards were one of the most influential Catholic families in England.

BTW, they had a sneak of the Borgias after tonight's episode. Looks great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post

BTW, they had a sneak of the Borgias after tonight's episode. Looks great!
    I youtubed it. For all my history love, I never heard of the Borgia's . So of course, I had to look them up and am getting a book on Lucrezia from amazon. I am really looking forward to this show and told my dad about it. He proceeded to tell me that Cesare was a patron of Leonardo di Vinci and was the template (by order of his father Rodrigo)for the modern version of the Jesus Christ likeness we see everywhere!!!

How could I have never known this stuff until now?

That said, I am looking forward to seeing Jeremy Irons be Rodrigo Borgia in this show.

I have only seen the first 2 episodes of the Tudors but looking forward to watching the next 2 back to back tomorrow.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh yes, the Borgias. A lovely, lovely Italian family of old. Wouldn't want to be invited to dinner chez Borgias.

ETA: What channel is this going to be on and when does it start?
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 05-04-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh yes, the Borgias. A lovely, lovely Italian family of old. Wouldn't want to be invited to dinner chez Borgias.
    Ya, very sweet, docile people eh?
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Ya, very sweet, docile people eh?
    Serve great wine too. I wish they did the Medicis and the Valois too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yes. It is drop dead good!!

I love period pieces, esp from the Renaissance. I did a lot of reading after hearing about the Borgia's and the Medici's and Valois' are families I want to read more about.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've read more about the Medici's and the Valois and less about the Borgias. I am curious to see what they will make of the series.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It's scheduled to air some time in 2011, but I don't think it has even started production. So far, the only cast mentioned is Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo, Colm Feore as Giuliano Della Rovere and a French Canadian actor I'd never heard of (Francois Arnaud) as Cesare.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I don't know anything about the Borgias, which considering what a History nut I am, is a bit of a disgrace on my part. I'll have to do some reading on them. Having said that though, if Jeremy Irons and Colm Feore are a part of this, then I really hope the CBC's a production partner again, because I'll want to see this.

All the reading/research on the Borgias will have to be after the two books on the Romanovs and Gregory's The Other Queen I picked up last weekend in Toronto are finished though. I started The Last Days of the Romanovs on the train the other night and have been having a tough time putting it down.

Anyway...What's happened so far on The Tudors? In spoiler mode of course. Pretty Please?

vCash
    If you want a fantastic book about the Romanovs, check out Greg King and Penny Wilson's book. I'm awful and forget the title but it was great at shattering the rose-colored glasses image of this perfect, angelic, saintly family myth.

To be honest the only thing I remember about last week's episode was

Spoiler

Banned Member
    vCash
    I just keep wishing to see Henry Cavill more! The liasion between Kathryn and Thomas is getting old to me already, but I think that JRM is really projecting the regrets that some middle age men have and his attempts at trying to rectify those decisions. I will say its better than last season.

vCash
    Jeremy Irons is playing a Borgia? That may be the most perfect casting in the history of movies.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Yes true about JRM being totally wrong for the King, but given the amount of flesh being shown, a fat King isn't what I wanna see! Sorry authenticity on TV is an illusion and I for one am grateful that the producers decided on the story lines being close to accurate and not the actors!
    You think these story lines are accurate? Seriously? Henry's missing a sister, Elizabeth is about 6 at the time of the Kat Howard years, as opposed to the teen with crimped hair playing her, Brandon's wife didn't leave him... This is like a Disney remake of the Henry VIII years. I'm waiting for a 7th wife to show up.

vCash
    Maybe if the producers waited a year, they could have gotten their fat Henry

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/05...-meyers-belly/

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    You think these story lines are accurate? Seriously? Henry's missing a sister, Elizabeth is about 6 at the time of the Kat Howard years, as opposed to the teen with crimped hair playing her, Brandon's wife didn't leave him... This is like a Disney remake of the Henry VIII years. I'm waiting for a 7th wife to show up.
    Haha! Well at least they get the wife count right no, I am well aware this is a "hollywoodish" view of things. NO, Brandon's wife didn't leave him, if you listened in the first or second episode he refers to her still around.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Maybe if the producers waited a year, they could have gotten their fat Henry

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/05...-meyers-belly/
    That isn't fat, thats pints and tacos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Haha! Well at least they get the wife count right no, I am well aware this is a "hollywoodish" view of things. NO, Brandon's wife didn't leave him, if you listened in the first or second episode he refers to her still around.
    Yes, in the show, they have her leave him. They are still married but she hates him, apparently, so they never see each other, blah-blah.

vCash
    At this point, the age discrepancies and timelines are all out of whack. Catherine Parr is supposed to be 20 years younger than Henry but is played by a woman 13 years older than JRM. And they have Mary and Elizabeth being restored to the line of succession before Henry marries Catherine Parr (ignoring the influence she had on fully reconciling Henry to his children).

vCash
    Bump.

Series Finale is next week.

Question about Mary in the show last night- they portray her growing embittered, frustrated and angry. I wonder if this accurate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast