Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Henry Cavill can sit on my bed anytime!
    He's pretty darn even when aged to his 50s!

vCash
    I am ok with having him look 20 years older from episode 8 to 9 but jeez what's with the voice. He was only 46 right? Yes, I know 46 in 1500 is like 85 now a days, but its downright hokey!
    It's funny but in a recent interview I read with JR-M he said that he had to "work on his voice" and I had no idea what he meant until recently. Yikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Loved 'Bess of Hardwick' by Lovell. Such an interesting lady, plus after I read the book in 08, and then was in England and saw her houses (Hardwick Hall & Chatsworth). Hard to believe her ascent in that time, but so intriguing
    Also enjoyed The Sisters by Lovell - about the Mitford sisters, very crazy story, yet true story set in the first half of the 20th C England. One of the sisters married the Duke of Devonshire, in which Chatsworth is its base, same girl was first married to a Guinness heir, another sister knew Hitler and so on.
    I recently read a couple of Nancy Mitford's novels. Fun romantic fluff, in that shocking-yet-proper British way.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I am ok with having him look 20 years older from episode 8 to 9 but jeez what's with the voice. He was only 46 right? Yes, I know 46 in 1500 is like 85 now a days, but its downright hokey!
    Henry was 56 when he died, so I think he is meant to be 54 in Episode 9

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolineL View Post
    Henry was 56 when he died, so I think he is meant to be 54 in Episode 9
    I thought he was in his 40's thanks! JRM's portrayal of Henry could have done without the voice adjustments it really cheapened the character to much for me. I know he is ill, but Henry Cavill's Charles is older is he not? I would think that they would have made Charles look even older. But then again its "entertainment".
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Charles should have been nearly 60 in that episode Instead of, you know, 30. Or whatever age Henry Cavill looked.

The voice was stupid.

vCash
    I think Henry Cavill looks like he's in his 40s with the make-up and stuff. He's 27 or so, right? And JRM's in his 30s?

I don't think they ever addressed that Brandon was like ten years older than Henry...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I think Henry Cavill looks like he's in his 40s with the make-up and stuff. He's 27 or so, right? And JRM's in his 30s?

I don't think they ever addressed that Brandon was like ten years older than Henry...
    Yes, I believe Henry Cavill is 27 and JRM is in his 30's. I think that JRM was given way to much creative freedom, shame on the director.

How many episodes are left? One maybe two, don't know if I can listen to that voice for the last shows.

vCash
    I believe tonight is the finale

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Off topic note for JRM fans - we just saw From Paris with Love last night, and really enjoyed it! Sadly JRM does not take his shirt off, has a slight mustache and speaks with an unsexy American accent, but he still looks great and it's actually a pretty good movie if you like action thrillers. Travolta at his best IMO.

vCash
    It was great having Natalie Dormer and Maria Doyle Kennedy coming back. And it's a shame the series isn't continuing with Edward's rule, although you could have guessed it was going to end with Henry the minute they amalgamated Henry's sisters and eliminated all hints of Frances Brandon and Jane Grey from the storyline. I would have loved to have seen Anne Stanhope (well played by Emma Hamilton)and Catherine Parr's catfight, the Seymour brothers' rivalry, and Mary's bloody reign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    It was great having Natalie Dormer and Maria Doyle Kennedy coming back. And it's a shame the series isn't continuing with Edward's rule, although you could have guessed it was going to end with Henry the minute they amalgamated Henry's sisters and eliminated all hints of Frances Brandon and Jane Grey from the storyline. I would have loved to have seen Anne Stanhope (well played by Emma Hamilton)and Catherine Parr's catfight, the Seymour brothers' rivalry, and Mary's bloody reign.
    Ditto. Maybe the series should've just been titled ' Henry VIII' after all, it was really about him and ends with his death. It appeared to be a JRM vehicle at the expense of everything else.

vCash
    There were times when it did seem like a JRM vehicle, unfortunately.

But I will always remember this as the series that introduced me to Natalie Dormer I really hope her career takes off. She's so damned talented (and gorgeous ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Ditto. Maybe the series should've just been titled ' Henry VIII' after all, it was really about him and ends with his death. It appeared to be a JRM vehicle at the expense of everything else.
    So true. I remember seeing the first ads for this show and it said something about how it all really began, and was hoping it was beginning with Henry's parents or even before.
    N Dormer and M Doyle Kennedy were marvelous, as were others. I always thought if they went far enough M Doyle Kennedy could play Bloody Mary.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    So true. I remember seeing the first ads for this show and it said something about how it all really began, and was hoping it was beginning with Henry's parents or even before.
    This is my beef too - Henry's father is practically lost in history, and yet he had a rather spectacular beginning and then a solid reign in which he achieved a lot. It seems that the modern history of Henry VIII only begins at the moment when he meets Anne - and it's almost impossible to find any in depth info on his childhood and family life and its later influence, the impact of being the second son, his long first marriage (and for many years happy, from what I can tell), the importance of the men in his inner circle (and how they got there), the political turning points (other than the break with Rome, done to death) ... so much to tell, and such a missed opportunity by this series as it's never really been done before.

And JRM would have been perfectly cast

vCash
    I try not to think about what could have been, because I know it could have been spectacular.

But then he wouldn't have had nearly as many sex scenes as Henry VII as he ended up with as Henry VIII. Henry VII was faithful to Elizabeth of York for the entirety of their marriage. Ultimately, I think sex is what Showtime was going for, and might be the reason why the series won't go any further. Because I don't think sex scenes for Edward or Mary would go over very well. Elizabeth could have had some fun ones though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I try not to think about what could have been, because I know it could have been spectacular.

But then he wouldn't have had nearly as many sex scenes as Henry VII as he ended up with as Henry VIII. Henry VII was faithful to Elizabeth of York for the entirety of their marriage. Ultimately, I think sex is what Showtime was going for, and might be the reason why the series won't go any further. Because I don't think sex scenes for Edward or Mary would go over very well. Elizabeth could have had some fun ones though.
    If they wanted sex, then getting Henry's sister correct would have been critical ... so they could bring in both Mary Stuart and the marital adventures of Ladies Catherine and Mary Grey (as part of the sequel series).

Banned Member
    vCash
    The dream sequence with Henry and the horse was a bit over the top but JRM sure looked stunning in all that black leather.

I would have liked to see the series continue, but 4 seasons is about the length of time most series last.

On to the next...

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This is my beef too - Henry's father is practically lost in history, and yet he had a rather spectacular beginning and then a solid reign in which he achieved a lot. It seems that the modern history of Henry VIII only begins at the moment when he meets Anne - and it's almost impossible to find any in depth info on his childhood and family life and its later influence, the impact of being the second son, his long first marriage (and for many years happy, from what I can tell), the importance of the men in his inner circle (and how they got there), the political turning points (other than the break with Rome, done to death) ... so much to tell, and such a missed opportunity by this series as it's never really been done before.

And JRM would have been perfectly cast
    Henry was actually married to Katherine of Aragon for longer than all the other wives put together. I agree than there is lots of interesting stuff there that gets ignored far too often.

I'm still waiting for a later 14th century Plantagenet saga- Edward 111 with all his sons and their family intrigues- Joan of Kent, Katherine Swynford, John of Gaunt, the Black Prince, Alice Perrers- there's a lot going on there, and great fashions as well!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    A segment where Michael Hirst describes the succession after Henry's death. Um, Seymour/Hertdord (Somerset at the time) had nothing to do with the Lady Jane Grey affair. He was already executed and it was his successor who had engineered it. And while we're at it, why not mention that she was Brandon's granddaughter and it was in Henry's Will that Brandon's children with Mary were next in line after Elizabeth.

ETA: A link would help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sE44qlMvzs
    Last edited by Yehudi; 06-25-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345