Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Julian Lagus' retirement was mentioned in the Retirements thread last month (his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011780.htm ) - he has continued updating his online diary here: http://www.julianlagus.com/diary2014.htm
    He wrote that he was "accepted to the University of Groningen (LLB in International and European Law)."
    Wow, that sounds fabulous. Good for him.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Kiira is very disciplined and i'm sure she will do everything for starting at EM and WM this season. Hope she gets her jumps back, then she stand a chance. My fingers are crossed and I wish only the best for her!

vCash
    Photo of Kiira posted on her FB fan page: https://fi-fi.facebook.com/125231509...850944/?type=1
    My rehab time in Munich is finally over! It was quite hard four months and I'm so thankful to Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt and everyone who helped me get through the persistent Achilles' tendon injury. Now I'm more motivated than ever and looking forward to continue working hard to make a strong come back next season!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Kiira just gave a press conference to Finnish media. Some main points:
    Part of her achilles tendon didn't heal properly or as originally planned, so it was operated in Tübingen, Germany in April. The plaster was removed May 19, so now she has been crutches-free for a month. She has already been on ice, and for the first time in a long time, skating completely pain-free.
    She'll be flying to Los Angeles end of June to resume training with Rafael Arutunian, but will in fact stay there for only a couple of days before going to Toronto to have a new LP choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne. She will keep her SP from last season (that she never was able to skate).
    In August she will have a last checkup with the doctor(s) in Germany, and by then she should be allowed to do all jumps normally.
    She says she will definitely be ready to compete at Finnish Nationals in December.
    She was asked about the ISU Congress decision to give 2017 Worlds to Finland... she was happy and was actually a bit surprised to hear the news as she "hadn't been following the situation" and didn't know Finland was about to get the Worlds. She says she'd love to skate there, she immediately thought of continuing at least until then, but she wants to think one year at a time.

vCash
    Thanks for the news! I figured something didn't go as planned since she has been leading quite a quiet life for the last few months. The surgery explains it.

As for 2017, it's not impossible if she could ONLY stay healthy. She'll be 28 by then and Suzuki just competed at the Olympics at 28.

OTOH, I can't believe she's one of the oldies now. It feels like yesterday when she was 16 and had most of her career still ahead of her.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    It was about halfway through last season when I realized how much I missed Kiira in the competitive lineup. Even if not skating perfectly, I always looked forward to her program music choices, choreography, costuming, and cool sophistication and reserve. Always skating like a LADY. I hope she is truly on the mend and can grace us with her presence again....and lead the younger Finnish ladies who are rising stars.

vCash
    Shortly,
    Korpi seems to be very confident about her future. The achilles tendon is healed, she is back on the ice and is now starting to do more complicated things.
    She has been excercising off-ice all the time to keep herself fit.
    She will keep the SP By Jeffrey Buttle, for "A day in the life" by Beatles/Jeff Beck quitar arrangement, and will chorea a new FS with Shae-Lynn Bourne, with whom she loves to work.

"Before, I was training like an athlete. Now, with Carlos Avila da Borba, I train more like a dancer. I hope you can see it on the ice, I want to show more softness and feminity."

She also said that being relatively old and mature may even play for her, when she is competing against teenagers.
    Her aim is to compete in the Finnish Nationals in December, maybe earlier, if she feels good enough.

"When I hear about Finland getting Worlds I thought maybe I will compete till then. But like (the famous ice hockey player) Teemu Selänne, I just have to take one season at time."

vCash
    Touching photos from Kiira's instagram. Wish the best for her in the coming season.

http://instagram.com/p/qZUWTfEAQ_/
    East West Ice Palace
    10 months ago and now. So happy to be back in LA training with healthy feet! 😄👍💃🇺🇸 #hardworkpaysoff #sisu

vCash
    The national team apparently did a photoshoot as a part of their summer camp and the pictures have now been published - they are very cool. https://stll-fi.directo.fi/luistelij...maajoukkue-yl/ Love how they have both skating and more casual photos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    The national team apparently did a photoshoot as a part of their summer camp and the pictures have now been published - they are very cool. https://stll-fi.directo.fi/luistelij...maajoukkue-yl/ Love how they have both skating and more casual photos.
    I think I'll cheer for Roman Galay now since he is the only one who doesn't look utterly bored in the pic. But they're looking nice in general.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    Shortly,
    Korpi seems to be very confident about her future. The achilles tendon is healed, she is back on the ice and is now starting to do more complicated things.
    She has been excercising off-ice all the time to keep herself fit.
    She will keep the SP By Jeffrey Buttle, for "A day in the life" by Beatles/Jeff Beck quitar arrangement, and will chorea a new FS with Shae-Lynn Bourne, with whom she loves to work.

"Before, I was training like an athlete. Now, with Carlos Avila da Borba, I train more like a dancer. I hope you can see it on the ice, I want to show more softness and feminity."

She also said that being relatively old and mature may even play for her, when she is competing against teenagers.
    Her aim is to compete in the Finnish Nationals in December, maybe earlier, if she feels good enough.

"When I hear about Finland getting Worlds I thought maybe I will compete till then. But like (the famous ice hockey player) Teemu Selänne, I just have to take one season at time."
    I really hope she can be successful a while longer. Now, that Asada is gone, Kiira is one of the loveliest skaters on the ice. The young jumping beans don't have the sophistication of Korpi, Asada or Kostner and I will miss those types of skaters for a few years until one of the youngsters begin to develop that aspect of their skating.

Plus, Kiira is simply gorgeous and I always look forward to her costumes. The woman would look beautiful wearing a paper bag.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I think I'll cheer for Roman Galay now since he is the only one who doesn't look utterly bored in the pic. But they're looking nice in general.
    no alisa mikonsaari has she retired, i wonder?

vCash
    Cross-posting this new interview with Kiira Korpi here and in the Programs thread: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/07/23/85556100
    Korpi: I will keep the short program that I had for last season that was done by Jeff Buttle. The music is Jeff Beck's version of the Beatles song "A Day In The Life," and the choreography is very sophisticated and cool. I have a new long program that I did with Shae-Lynn Bourne in early July, and I chose to skate to Sibelius' "Violin Concerto in D minor.".

The two programs are very different from each other, and I love both of them! Especially skating to Sibelius' music -- it has always been my dream, and I finally felt ready for it. The choreography is very challenging and requires a lot of dancing skills on the ice. It portrays my feelings toward my home country Finland: the amazingly beautiful nature and summer time, but the sometimes also brutally cold and dark winter. It's a very emotional and personal choice of music and choreography for me.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Hers are two programs I most look forward to seeing. May she remain healthy!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Seconding this!

vCash
    I am also looking forward to seeing her back on the ice, especially with these programs. I missed her a lot last season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Me third.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I agree! Nice to see also these more casual photos!

vCash
    Korpi: I will keep the short program that I had for last season that was done by Jeff Buttle. The music is Jeff Beck's version of the Beatles song "A Day In The Life," and the choreography is very sophisticated and cool. I have a new long program that I did with Shae-Lynn Bourne in early July, and I chose to skate to Sibelius' "Violin Concerto in D minor."
    Am I dreaming? For as long as I can remember I have secretly hoped that one of the top Finnish skaters (and Kiira was my no. 1 choice, too) would one day skate to Sibelius' Violin Concerto D minor op. 47. More specifically the final Allegro Ma Non Tanto movement. It is a very personal piece of music for me and there are 7 particular strokes that are probably one of my favorite moments of classical music. But I never thought that someone skating to it would happen because it is really fast and it doesn't seem very easily "skateable". Of course I'm not even sure if Kiira is skating to the 3rd movement, but I really hope that she will at least use a part of it. The final 20 seconds are something I've imagined a skating program to end with about a million times in my mind. If Kiira indeed ends her program with that final part from the 3rd movement, I will probably die a little inside from utter happiness.

Adding my sincerest wish for her to stay healthy. Skate gods - what do I have to sacrifice, just tell me.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast