Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Apparently Jenni Vähämaa is coaching in Central Finland nowadays. As well as studying 'sports sciences' and practicing a large variety of more or less recreational sports herself.
    Thank you very much for the update on Jenni. Really liked her skating and still remember being shell-shocked when she retired as young as she did. Glad to hear she's doing well, though and is still involved in skating

vCash
    Fun video made by men of the Finnish national team:
    http://youtu.be/Vx4owOWodeI

Story on Rahkamo, Kokko and Finnstep:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...kamo-and-kokko

Story on Jenni Vähämaa's post-skating life (in Finnish):
    http://www.ksml.fi/urheilu/uutiset/l...suutta/1756230

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IDC a.k.a. Ritti View Post

Story on Rahkamo, Kokko and Finnstep:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...kamo-and-kokko

Story on Jenni Vähämaa's post-skating life (in Finnish):
    http://www.ksml.fi/urheilu/uutiset/l...suutta/1756230
    Very nice articles!

... and the video is really good! Manpower!

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Thanks a lot Ritti!

The article about Jenni Vähämaa is really interesting and also explains why she was completely absent from the sport for quite a few years (until now). Here's the Google Translate version for anyone who's interested (I corrected a couple of things but couldn't bother re-writing all of it... sorry ).

Jenni Vähämaa, 21, is sipping tea, smiles and talks a lot. Is happy.

- I am, yeah. And definitely a lot happier than when skating in the last few years, Vähämaa says without a shadow of a doubt .

Vähämaa's story is startling. Perhaps instructive, and in all its barrenness also beautiful. Alone, it feels terrific, the 21 -year-old reminisces about time long ago ended sports career. If things had gone a different country ski trails, Vähämaa could be for the Sochi Olympics, one of Finland's biggest medal hopes for.

- When I skated , Sochi had in mind. It was coming to me at a good time and age. I don't know why but I do not even have a nostalgic feeling. I follow with interest the competition, and I am sorry that Finland is not included. Finnish junior expenditure appears to be of a nature that in the next Olympics though, the situation will be different.

Tying skates superior

Vähämaa, then only 15, rose to a bigger audience for figure skating Finlandia Trophy in October 2007. European Championships in 2008 before increasing 16 birthday Vähämaa ranked tenth dramatically . The audience and the figure skating community saw the diamond in the rough, but beneath the surface gloss things had already started to go from bad to worse.

- 10th at Europeans. At that point I still felt ok, but a little bit for the long end of the season was the work of taste, Vähämaa recalls.

Then something happened. Ribbons tying skates and ice rashness became cumbersome affairs.

- The summer of 2008 began to feel like it was not a terribly good feeling to work out. I would've needed a break , but the way I am (used to working alone), so I could not talk to anyone. I could not ask for help.

- One of the mental cramp in the fire. The rink became a stressful and oppressive environment .

Did not become an Olympic winner but became happy

In the end, injury offered the opportunity for a young Figureskater a needed break. The decision later became final. Games in Vähämaa will no longer be seen, even as the promise of the return of the super still tried. The last attempt was emotionally important.

- I wanted to turn all the stones. I knew that I am very talented and it made the decision very difficult. My worst fear was that I have to regret my decision. At least not yet I have not looked back.

In January 2014, about four years after her decision to quit, Vähämaa is able to re-enter the rink. For quite a while she had been completely absent from the environment that was previously so beloved to her.

- A language course in 2011. There, the Ice Arena in Oxford , I rented those blue ice skates. I think it was for someone to say that on those skates no one had skated as well before. It was quite an emotion. At first I was sad, but on the ice, then smiles.

Jenni Vähämaa did not become an Olympic Champion but she became happy. It goes without saying that the second year sports science student and former figure skater can be satisfied with her hard decision to quit. And she hasn't left sports completely.

- It was said in the media back then that I ran out of motivation in sport, but it is not true. I still have to keep that week training program, I miss the discipline, which I got used to skating in my career.

That's just precious.
    Last edited by Hanna; 01-24-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    In other news, Juulia Turkkila finally landed a clean 3loop today....... http://dkc.simetric.si/dinamic/rezul..._SP_Scores.pdf What's weird is that she already put it in the short program. But she must know that she's really going to need it if she's still going to be a contender of some kind. Good for her.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    http://yle.fi/urheilu/kiira_korpi_ja...valiin/7059110

According to YLE (the Finnish Broadcasting Company), Kiira Korpi will most likely skip Worlds. Lately, she has been training with Portuguese coach Carlos Avila de Borba (who is he?!): She trains on ice every day but isn't doing jumps yet. She'll go back to California to her technical coach Rafael Arutunian in early March.

Here's the video clip (geoblocked, only viewable in Finland):
    http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2120029

vCash
    According to YLE (the Finnish Broadcasting Company), Kiira Korpi will most likely skip Worlds. Lately, she has been training with Portuguese coach Carlos Avila de Borba (who is he?!): ]
    IIRC he is not so much a skating coach but more of a physical preparator. He has worked in Oberstdorf and has also brought some skaters to Portugal for off-ice(duh) camps, Lambiel, V/t have attended in the past. He has worked with many top skaters really, I can't recall the list in detail but some of the Japanese skaters for example. From what I've read about him he is a well respected name within his line of work. If anyone needs more info I'll look it up in portuguese.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That makes sense: she'll do more off-ice strengthening and training before getting back on the ice with Arutunian.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Well done to Juulia Turkkila for landing a clean triple loop in competition. It's not easy ...

Had she not fallen on the opening triple salchow in Budapest, she would have made top ten at Euros!!

vCash
    Laura Lepistö has gotten engaged with her long-time boyfriend. Congratulations!

vCash
    I still miss her.

Congrats and all the best Laura!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Congratulations to them!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    A profile on Liubov Efimenko on YLE Sports News in 15 minutes.

ETA: It was lovely. Here's the link. http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2150824 Starts at about 4 minutes into the broadcast. It's available for 7 days (not geoblocked but in Finnish).
    Last edited by Hanna; 03-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.

vCash
    Congrats to Laura and her fiancé! Wish the best for them.

Any news about Korpi? Hope she's recovered from her injury.

vCash
    Korpi´s recovery has apparently taken more time than she believed. The newest I heard in Feburary is that she is supposed to return to California training wuth Aratunian in March. I´ll let you know when I ge some confirmation to that.

vCash
    Thank you, Finnice.

vCash
    According to a new press release, Kiira Korpi has travelled to Munich to rehabilitate her Achilles tendon in the care of famoius doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt. He is also Usain Bolt´s, football team Bayer Munchen´s and The German football´s team doctor. Korpi also continues working with Carlos Avila de Borba and hopes to return to California after the World Championships. Her current aim is to be ready to compete in Finlandia Trophy next October.

She will travel to Wolrds in Saitama, not as a competing skater, but representing her sponsors in Japan.

There will be more information and maybe a press conference after the Worlds.

vCash
    Apparently Müller-Wohlfahrt's treatment arsenal includes cockerel crest extractions, calf blood and goat blood injections... Also homeopathy and honey...

vCash
    When I saw this name

Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt.

It screamed Saturday Night Live to me <g>

vCash
    Whaaaat? Really?

Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast