Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    ^isn't there a difference to skate in a international competition or to skate in front of members of a dictator government in order to celebrate and amuse them?
    Yes. Huge difference.

Competing or performing in a country with naughty rulers/ruling class = fine by me. Strong goodwill/humanitarian/fair play arguments can always be made for this. (I'm still bitter about our boycott of the Moscow Olympics.)

Competing or performing a made-for-pimping event that is blatantly in praise of, for the amusement of, and in worship of, this naughty ruler/ruling class = piss poor judgment at the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Competing or performing a made-for-pimping event that is blatantly in praise of, for the amusement of, and in worship of, this naughty ruler/ruling class = piss poor judgment at the least.
    Ah, but Laura's brilliant agent disagrees.

Alaja also does not feel that his or Lepistö’s political judgement would be faulty in any way.
    http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Fin.../1329103473183

I cannot believe she's actually paying this dude in order to represent her. If I were her, I'd him right away. Not only did he not do enough research on this to let her know about what happened to Tomas Verner last year, he now comes up with gems like these.

vCash
    I have been thinking Laura's skate in North Korea quite a lot and came to the conculusion that it is ok for me.

Reason for that is that I don't see "scoulding" un-democratic "bad" countries being very effective. Almost always it makes things worse. Change must come from within the society and there is not much other countries can do.

Only North Korea can change North Korea. Go there. Skate there. Maybe a friendly relationships to outside world can make them to open up a bit, because it seems that nothing else has not.

vCash
    Publisher's webpage for Erkki Alaja

Google Translation:

Alaja Erkki (b. 1952) will serve as your advertising agency led by a nut....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Publisher's webpage for Erkki Alaja

Google Translation: Alaja Erkki (b. 1952) will serve as your advertising agency led by a nut....
    Truth in advertising at last.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Yes. Huge difference.

Competing or performing in a country with naughty rulers/ruling class = fine by me. Strong goodwill/humanitarian/fair play arguments can always be made for this. (I'm still bitter about our boycott of the Moscow Olympics.)

Naughty rulers?

So as long as the "naughty rulers/ruling class" don't derive any pleasure out of the figure skating performances it's OK? PML. If we're basing it on that North Korea is OK too then.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I'm so sick of these skaters expected to be good will ambassadors, they're not. I would skate for Jabba the Hut in a gold bikini if it meant I had the opportunity to skate after a long hiatus.

(((Laura)))

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    . If I were her, I'd him right away. Not only did he not do enough research on this to let her know about what happened to Tomas Verner last year, he now comes up with gems like these.
    What happened to Tomas Verner was and is still an exception, even if it also happened to Lepisto. Pechalat/Bourzat have gone twice now, and I haven't seen any evidence of an uproar in France or against any of the other skaters who've participated.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    What happened to Tomas Verner was and is still an exception, even if it also happened to Lepisto. Pechalat/Bourzat have gone twice now, and I haven't seen any evidence of an uproar in France or against any of the other skaters who've participated.
    I'd expect my agent (and national federation whom she asked) to let me know something like that has happened in the past. However unlikely it might be to repeat itself. Laura sounded caught by surprise that anyone could look at her decision as anything *but* a well-intentioned desire to skate again and learn more about NK in the process.

Meanwhile, the agent comes across as a complete twat whose idea of damage control is to babble on about how fool-proof his decision-making process seems to be. Despite all evidence to the contrary.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Her agent sounds like a dweeb, yes.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Her agent sounds like a dweeb, yes.
    We're in agreement in that case . Sorry, I misunderstood your post to disagree with that part of mine.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I wasn't very clear.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Google Translation:
    Alaja Erkki (b. 1952) will serve as your advertising agency led by a nut....
    LOL!
    In fact, the text says: "Erkki Alaja runs his own advertising agency, Pähkinä". ('pähkinä' = nut.)

I think he used to be Rahkamo/Kokko's manager too in the 90's. To my understanding he has been primarily a soccer expert.

vCash
    I liked the Google translation better.

vCash
    Anyone who thinks that the ordinary folks who are starving in NK were the ones who got to see Laura skate are living in a fantasy world. Most likely it was the ruling class and elites and the their families as it is with most communist countries. So much for the communist philosophy of the peasants rising up against their oppressive leaders. Just not in those countries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Anyone who thinks that the ordinary folks who are starving in NK were the ones who got to see Laura skate are living in a fantasy world. Most likely it was the ruling class and elites and the their families as it is with most communist countries. So much for the communist philosophy of the peasants rising up against their oppressive leaders. Just not in those countries.
    I think that a change will come one day, it has in so many other countries in one way or another... Let´s remember e.g. USA having slaves and eventually the freedom came. Not so quickly though, as I myself remember living the time when African-Americans were not allowed into same busses, schools, cafés, etc....

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Thank you for that. I'm sure we'd never have been able to figure it out for ourselves.

I'll bet the shuttle bus service to the rink was amazing though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash

Laura's own travel log will be published exclusively in the Urheilulehti magazine (that's why she has declined all interview requests, I suppose).
    http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Urheiluleht...a1305556276279

Tidbit: Her originally planned exhibition program (to music from the Chicago musical) was "too flirtatious" for the organizers, so she had to create a new one (to Dr. Zhivago) at last minute.
    Laura:
    "I have gotten bucketfuls of nasty comments. This trip and my thinking ability has been questioned totally."
    "It was lovely to see how the local skaters enjoyed performing. For them the show was certainly a great experience."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I wonder if she got to skate with the guy who barely missed qualifying at the Vancouver Olympics. I remember reading that he was self-taught from video, and his 3A to open his SP was as good anyone's in the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IDC a.k.a. Ritti View Post
    Laura's own travel log will be published exclusively in the Urheilulehti magazine (that's why she has declined all interview requests, I suppose).
    http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Urheiluleht...a1305556276279

Tidbit: Her originally planned exhibition program (to music from the Chicago musical) was "too flirtatious" for the organizers, so she had to create a new one (to Dr. Zhivago) at last minute.
    Laura:
    "I have gotten bucketfuls of nasty comments. This trip and my thinking ability has been questioned totally."
    "It was lovely to see how the local skaters enjoyed performing. For them the show was certainly a great experience."
    thanks
    there is a youtube clip from skaters in NK, the older ones anyone has the links, I forgot. I don't think all of them were the communist elites, it was full packed and had typical opening with skaters in synchronized dances. I agree with Laura just because its on its own inside world doeesn't mean we can deprive them of other forms of happiness, I am happy for Laura she made some people smile.

skating should be skating , from all walks of life without any
    political connotation, there have been plenty of others
    that have skated in NK.

Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast