Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 948
  1. #561

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,986
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1833
    So Julian is going to Nordics instead of Ari?

    Btw, the Rockettes official site should be higher in search engines, I was having trouble finding it...

  2. #562

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    Age
    28
    Posts
    16,039
    vCash
    900
    Rep Power
    8646
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    So Julian is going to Nordics instead of Ari?
    Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Btw, the Rockettes official site should be higher in search engines, I was having trouble finding it...
    I have no idea about that since I just remember that it's rockettes.fi and that's it.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

  3. #563

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,986
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1833
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I have no idea about that since I just remember that it's rockettes.fi and that's it.
    It's not the first time I try to find it, I keep getting links to old sites and I only found this one because I went to the Club's site (yes, I dare browse finnish sites even though I understand the grand total of five words in finnish). Maybe it's a fairly recent site... or else they should really look into promoting it or doing some SEO, it's the freaking Rockettes!! They should be easy to find, any other synchro team is.

  4. #564
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kiira Korpi and her coaches are pondering about adding a 3lutz...wow just wow At least she's back on the ice and is flying over to Toronto. Hopefully Shae-Lynn Bourne is aware of the Zayak rule...

    http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Kiira+Korpi...a1305555345422 (in Finnish)

  5. #565

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35365
    Kiira is unfortunately not sure if she can go to Canada, due to problems in her back thigh.

    And andother bad news: Laura Lepistö´s participation for the Paektusan Cup has gotten a lot of criticism here In Finland. I am and at the same time. Sad, because Laura has had enough troubles and worries with her health in the last two seasons, and it is so good to see her back on the ice.
    Mad, because her team plus FFSA knew about the reaction Tomas Verner got last year in Czech Republik when participating the same show. They chose to ignore the warnings.

    Laura´s reputation and public image has been excellent so far, she has hanlded the publicity very, very well. It is not the yellow press which is after her now, but the quality media.

  6. #566
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,309
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am sure she always knew North Korea was a controversial country because of its dictatorship and human rights abuses but maybe it's like athletes going to China or former USSR.

  7. #567
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,874
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In the same show appeared also Plushenko. Our newspaper mentions that according to KCNA he commented that "people around the world were feeling sorrow over the death of the dictatator in December". Plushenko wished success to North-Koreans in obeying the commands of the new dictator.

    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I am sure she always knew North Korea was a controversial country because of its dictatorship and human rights abuses but maybe it's like athletes going to China or former USSR.
    Yes, maybe so.

  8. #568
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I am sure she always knew North Korea was a controversial country because of its dictatorship and human rights abuses but maybe it's like athletes going to China or former USSR.
    A better analogy would be those athletes who went to Nazi Germany and saluted Hitler. See Post #555 upthread.

    The event exists to glorify the glorify the head of state, not to foster a modern version of Ping Pong Diplomacy or to propagate the ideals of the Olympic Movement.

    I see from her website that Laura Lepistö does, in fact, have an agent, Erkki Alaja. His Finnish Wikipedia page says he's written several books on sports marketing and sponsorship. He, at least, should have known better than to let this happen.

  9. #569

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    In the same show appeared also Plushenko. Our newspaper mentions that according to KCNA he commented that "people around the world were feeling sorrow over the death of the dictatator in December". Plushenko wished success to North-Koreans in obeying the commands of the new dictator.
    KCNA is the North Korean news service, isn't it? I'm not sure that's the most trustworthy resource out there, so unless there's actual footage of him saying that, I'm going to defer judgment. And I seriously hope he didn't say it.

    What I'm curious about is why some skaters do those shows more than once (e.g. P/B are there for the second year in a row). I can sort of understand going once: it's probably the only way to get to NK, and even knowing you're getting the guided tour, it would be interesting and educational to see what life is like in such a place. But I can't understand why anyone would return after visiting once.

  10. #570
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    poor Laura,

    I as just happy she is skating again
    this isn't new, international skaters have skated in north korea
    French, Russian, Czech, even American skaters...

  11. #571

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,986
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1833
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    What I'm curious about is why some skaters do those shows more than once (e.g. P/B are there for the second year in a row). I can sort of understand going once: it's probably the only way to get to NK, and even knowing you're getting the guided tour, it would be interesting and educational to see what life is like in such a place. But I can't understand why anyone would return after visiting once.
    I'm guessing they pay very well, figure skaters have huge expenses and few sources of income after all.
    If I lived in North Korea I'd be very grateful to those who wouldn't refuse to perform in the country since I as a citizen couldn't change the dictatorship or go abroad for new experiences. I don't criticize these skaters one bit and don't understand all the whoopla, it's not like their refusal would bring down the dictator...

  12. #572
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've seen some of the north korean skating clips on youtube. they were very happy to welcome international skaters and NK like SK. adores FS

    hope to see Laura soon on other int comp.

  13. #573

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    Posts
    5,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34851
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    If I lived in North Korea I'd be very grateful to those who wouldn't refuse to perform in the country since I as a citizen couldn't change the dictatorship or go abroad for new experiences. I don't criticize these skaters one bit and don't understand all the whoopla, it's not like their refusal would bring down the dictator...
    I'm sure these shows are anything but open to the general public and instead only the most loyal and zealous of the working class brethren are allowed access. I think part of the problem with going is the current regime portrays skaters being there as support for their rule (see Nathalie's stories about bowing to Kim's picture). So, while refusing to attend the show definitely wouldn't bring down the dictator, going there does help feed the propaganda machine.

  14. #574
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    I suspect the loyal and zealous of the working class brethren will be chosen from those weeping and wailing at his father's funeral.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  15. #575

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    Posts
    5,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34851
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I suspect the loyal and zealous of the working class brethren will be chosen from those weeping and wailing at his father's funeral.
    Course. Extra food rations and better seats to be given for pulling out your hair, falling to your knees, or any other state-approved displays of grief.

  16. #576
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    this is getting off topic
    but those grief were actually genuine but only because he is the only leader they know and portray him as a god with the help of brainwashing.

  17. #577
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,202
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, to be fair, Lepisto hasn't been receiving prize money (or funding too?) in the past seasons due to her injury and lack of competitive results. So this show may be an important income source for her.

  18. #578
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,974
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Post

    Quite interestingly, a bulletin for the media from Laura was sent out today by the FFSA, where she was quoted as saying: "I went to the trip with the honest thought of bringing joy to that people, and certainly also to seek the feeling of performing in front of an audiende after a break of almost 1.5 years. Only those two things were on my mind. I'm annoyed about the fact that a completely different purpose and image from the original has been created for the trip. I'm sorry for the confusion and irritation caused by my trip."

  19. #579

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35365
    ^Ritti beat me. Lepistö sounds sad and upset. Apparnetly she and her manager did not guess that it would cause trouble.
    I hope that she enjoyed skating in front of public again, anyway.

  20. #580
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, to be fair, Lepisto hasn't been receiving prize money (or funding too?) in the past seasons due to her injury and lack of competitive results. So this show may be an important income source for her.
    Unless the idea backfires, as appears to be happening.

    By the way, according to her website, she has several "partners," i.e., sponsors, including Nike, Audi, and KMPG. I wouldn't be surprised if she loses some of them now.

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •