Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    A profile on Liubov Efimenko on YLE Sports News in 15 minutes.

ETA: It was lovely. Here's the link. http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2150824 Starts at about 4 minutes into the broadcast. It's available for 7 days (not geoblocked but in Finnish).
    Could you translate the gist of what she says?

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiquitaBanana View Post
    Could you translate the gist of what she says?
    Sure! In fact, I'll just translate it all (roughly) since I'm not in a hurry to do anything else right now.

Liubov Efimenko started skating at age 4 in St. Petersburg following her older sister's footsteps. Her talent was recognized quickly and she was picked to train in a group of older skaters.

Interviewer: Why did you choose skating?
    Efimenko: Because in skating the training is versatile: there's ballet, off ice training and of course you learn to skate as well.

The family moved to Finland because of the father's work when Efimenko was 9 years old. They first settled in the city of Kotka.

LE: I continued skating in Kotka and when I was 10, I was chosen to the Project Group (a group organized by the Finnish fed for talented kids who do camps together etc.). I was really happy about it because it was a sign that I'm quite good and that my skating had progressed.

Efimenko's parents don't have a background in skating but they wanted their daughter to have a versatile hobby and have supported her skating. It was a big step for the whole family when they followed Efimenko's coach, Nuriya Pirogova, from Kotka to the city of Lahti.

LE: I got to know my coach when I was 4 years old and went to Joensuu (a Finnish city) for a skating camp. She understands me really well and knows how to fix my mistakes.

I: Do you feel pressure thinking that your whole family moved to Lahti just because of your skating?
    LE: Not a lot because my mum and dad like this city more. I just try to enjoy skating.

I: What kind of an athlete is Liubov?
    NP (the coach): She's hard-working, ambitious and takes responsibility of her own training. And she's very creative.

Efimenko, who's in 8th grade at school, trains for 14 hours a week. In addition to skating, training consists of ballet, gym and stretching. She considers her jumps and spins her biggest strengths. However, coach Pirogova knows that there are still things to work on.

NP: Of course we want to work more on basic skating skills, transitions and choreography. There's the difference between girls and women skating.

Efimenko has very a very clear opinion about her future goals.

LE: I'd like to compete at Europeans, Worlds and Olympics. It's possible if I keep up with my training, focus on everything I do and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Hanna; 03-11-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Thanks, Hanna!
    I miss those times with 3 Finnish ladies at Euros. I really hope it's possible for Finland to have 3 spots back thanks to Liubov and Jenni . And Kiira, when she's healthy!

vCash
    Thank you for the information, Hanna.

I found Kiira is invited to some events by Finnair Japan.
    https://twitter.com/FinnairJapan/sta...60704#t=5m452s

IIRC I've seen some of her ads in Japan, maybe Finnair and Saravio Cosmetics. Also she worked as a campaign character for TV programs featuring Northern Europe on one of the NHK channels. So she's one of a few international skaters who has/had sponsors in Japan, as long as I know such as V/M(Toyota), D/W(Airwieave), Lambiel/Bradley (Fuji Xerox) and Lynn(Calpis)

vCash
    Today's Sportmagasinet (9pm on Yle Fem) will apparently feature Jenni Saarinen & Liubov Efimenko. Be sure to watch.

"For a few years, Finland was Europe's best nation in ladies' figure skating. Three great talents, Laura Lepistö, Kiira Korpi and Susanna Pöykiö almost simultaneously had their best years as active skaters. For years one could expect any of them to win a medal at the European Championships. Now the situation is different. Pöykiö and Lepistö have ended their careers, Korpi has suffered from persistent injuries.

Many thought that there would just be new talent next in line, but it did not work that way. When both Korpi and Lepistö were born in 1988, the 1999-born are now the first age group to emerge that can be considered as talented. These include, among others, Jenni Saarinen from Tampere and Liubov Efimenko from Lahti, whom we're going to meet in the program."
    Last edited by Hanna; 03-25-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Two fresh newspaper articles (in Finnish):

Kiira Korpi is still waiting for an OK from her doctor (Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt in Munich) to go to the US to resume training with Rafael Arutunian. The healing process of the torn achilles tendon has been "slower than expected".
    http://www.iltasanomat.fi/muutlajit/...688531869.html
    Meanwhile, she has been trained by Carlos Avila de Borba in Munich (and recently also in Madrid I guess, judging by her Instagram photos).

The male halves of all the three Finnish ice dancers will start their military duty in June in the Sports School unit of the Finnish army. Good for them! It looks like the army actually arranged a special group for them so that they can do their military duty in Helsinki and train full-time. I don't know if this also means that the army will actually pay Maurizio something for coaching, or if it's still the skating club's business alone (whichever club it might be).
    http://www.iltasanomat.fi/taitoluist...687006897.html

vCash
    A quick news from Kiira Korpi tells that her achilles tendon is finally healed , and she can slowly start practicing. There is no news when she goes back to California, though.
    Fingers crossed that she can comeback.

vCash
    Korpi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Korpi
    We needs Kiira next year, best of luck Kiira , just take it gradually, that's- horrible injury to have!! Glad you got the ok,

vCash
    Wish the best for Kiira!

vCash
    I've heard that Maurizio Margaglio's contract was up and there were rumours he was going to leave Finland and join Zueva's school. Is there any truth in that? Or did his contract get extended and he's staying in Finland for now?

I think that he has done a fantastic job in building two decent Ice Dance teams in a relatively short space of time and I hope he is going to stick around to finish his job. I also hope that he is going to get some young skaters to form new teams with.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    We he to leave Finland and join Zoueva, would his two teams follow him to Canton?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    As Ritti wrote above: "The male halves of all the three Finnish ice dancers will start their military duty in June in the Sports School unit of the Finnish army." It means the three (not two but three) top teams must stay in Finland.

I have no information about
    Maurizio Margaglio's contract so I don't know if he stays in Finland or not. I really hope he stays!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Is military duty extended in Finland? I got the impression from reading the Russian thread that the skaters show up for a block of military duty during the summer, but otherwise are able to train wherever they need to during the rest of the year, and mistakenly thought it was similar in Finland.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Is military duty extended in Finland? I got the impression from reading the Russian thread that the skaters show up for a block of military duty during the summer, but otherwise are able to train wherever they need to during the rest of the year, and mistakenly thought it was similar in Finland.
    We are not Russia. The military service is mandatory, but there is a special sports group, and in the case of the ice dancers, thee seems to be something extra special, which is great!
    I think the dancers will serve 6 months, which is the minimum here, and that they canpractice quite a lot. And, what I know, Margaglio will share his time betwen Finland and Canton, which is very helpful for the Finnish ice dance teams.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Would the six months be their entire service, so that instead of going for a few weeks every year, they get it over and done with? Or do they do that over several years?

That's great news about Margolio splitting his time. It would be a shame for the ice dancers to stop progressing because he's in Canton.

vCash
    I don't know about what kind of exceptions can be made for athletes (quite a lot, I guess), but I don't think doing it in parts over several years is not a possibility. I think it's more like getting it over and done with.
    From what I hear, the current club of the ice dancers probably won't be able to pay Maurizio any more, so the dancers might simply (or - as this is Helsinki we're talking about - un-simply and strained with blood) move to some other club.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IDC a.k.a. Ritti View Post
    From what I hear, the current club of the ice dancers probably won't be able to pay Maurizio any more, so the dancers might simply (or - as this is Helsinki we're talking about - un-simply and strained with blood) move to some other club.
    Wow. And sort of surprising, considering HSK is Rahkamo's club.

vCash
    Kiira Korpi will have a press conference 16.6. In the invitation they write about her planning to come back to competitions. So let´s hope the news is good. I will try to be there, barring emergencies.

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast