Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Steven Spielberg's letter to Julia Lipnitskaya

I thought that deserved its own thread. Here is the video: http://www.vesti.ru/only_video.html?vid=585214 (at 14.00)

The letter:

February 21, 2014

Dear Yulia,

I am writing to tell you how moved I was by you gold medal performance as the little girl in red and accompanied by John Williams' music from my film SCHINDLER'S LIST. You brought such dignity in your remembrance of the Holoucaust through your soulfully inspired routine. I have three sons and four daughters, and there was not a dry eye in our house in California as we watched you on television.

You are the best discovery of the Sochi Olympics and we will be watching you in PyeongChang in 2018. Hopefully someday my family will have the chance to meet you and your family. We would love that very much.

In good health,
    Steven Spielberg
    At the press conference last week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4YswZcMzU, Julia was asked about the rumor that Steven Spielberg has offered her a role after seeing her Shinder's list program. Julia said that no one has offered her a role, but Spielberg sent her a letter in which he thanked her for her portrayal of the girl in the red coat in her program. She said she hasn't seen the latter herself - it was addressed to her, but people who were meant to pass the letter to Julia had kept it to themselves. Eteri said that they were asking to give them that letter. Eteri also said that for them, it was the highest praise possible, on a par with Olympic gold medal.

vCash
    That was a lovely thing for Steven Spielberg to do.
    I hope that they will have the chance to meet.

vCash
    Julia's choreographer should take the credit for the program. He/she came up with the idea.

vCash
    The program was choreographed by Ilya Averbukh, and while I wholeheartedly agree that he deserves full credit for his amazing work, he himself told (repeatedly) that the idea of the program (the girl in the red coat) belongs to Julia. Her coach thought it was inappropriate, two other choreographers refused, but she insisted.

vCash
    I'm so pleased that Yulia insisted.
    She did the theme/program justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    The program was choreographed by Ilya Averbukh, and while I wholeheartedly agree that he deserves full credit for his amazing work, he himself told (repeatedly) that the idea of the program (the girl in the red coat) belongs to Julia. Her coach thought it was inappropriate, two other choreographers refused, but she insisted.
    Julie is 15. Do you really think her parents let her watch Schindler's List? Its kind of gruesome in places.

vCash
    Even if Yulia's parents didn't allow her to see the film; no doubt its' theme, subject, and the character of "the girl in the red dress", were explained to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Even if Yulia's parents didn't allow her to see the film; no doubt its' theme, subject, and the character of "the girl in the red dress", were explained to her.
    Precisely. In other words, it was an adult's idea.

Watch me move
    vCash
    It may be an adult's idea, but Julia brought it to life. That program would have been a complete and utter embarrassment if she hadn't been able to portray the character so well and so sincerely. And I say this as someone who is not generally in favor of those kinds of programs, like Holocaust-themed programs or 9/11-themed programs - the ones where you feel guilty or as if you are implicitly endorsing something horrible if you don't like it.

I am also not a fan of Spielberg's work, but that was a really kind and sweet letter for him to write.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Julie is 15. Do you really think her parents let her watch Schindler's List? Its kind of gruesome in places.
    Julia said she watched the movie many times.

http://mimishka007.livejournal.com/139213.html

Interview for Doppio Axel by Emily Korsakova with Julia and her mother, Daniela Lipnitskaya

Q: Do you like your programs this season? Maybe you have the favorite?
    JL: I like my free program the most. I've seen the film many times. But in my program I don't portray the image of this girl who is wandering, lost, around the city during the Nazis raids, but my own image I created inside.
    And here's the interview with Averbukh where he tells the story of the program:

Ilya Averbukh interview «Mister designer» http://mosfigurist.ru/?p=1131

IA: Usually I find the music myself, but sometimes the skater has already found something and wants to skate only to certain music. It happened this year with Julia Lipnitskaya: she wanted the free program to the Schindler's list soundtrack. It was her ultimate desire. Her coach, Eteri Tutberidze, and I didn't agree, and I personally tried to dissuade her decision, because I thought it was too serious music for a little girl. But Julia was adamant, and Eteri and I decided: if she insists on that, we should listen to her, so that the athlete feels confident skating her program, if she is in love with the music so much. As a result, I found a way to avoid making the program too dramatic, to the extent it is at all possible, considering the story behind the movie. Of course, the viewers can have different opinions about her free program: does it suit her, isn't it too early for her to skate to this music (I asked myself all these questions), but in the end, the program turned out very interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    It may be an adult's idea, but Julia brought it to life. That program would have been a complete and utter embarrassment if she hadn't been able to portray the character so well and so sincerely..
    This!

vCash
    Julia said she watched the movie many times.

And here's the interview with Averbukh where he tells the story of the program:
    Many times? Man, I can't even bring myself to watch it a second time. It's so intensely tragic. I wonder at 14 or 15, how much of the weight of the movie does one feel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Many times? Man, I can't even bring myself to watch it a second time. It's so intensely tragic. I wonder at 14 or 15, how much of the weight of the movie does one feel?
    It's not like 15 year olds are brainless nitwits. I bet there are many 15 year olds out there who can very much understand meaning of the movie.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    how is ripping off an old Kat Witt routine from a previous olys "adult"?

vCash
    Its quite conceivable that Julia liked Schindler's List after she saw it. I just think that Julia was introduced to the movie by an adult who felt that it would be a good idea for her to portray the little girl in the red coat on the ice. 15 year old girls watch Justin Bieber videos, not 20 year old movies.

Watch me move
    vCash
    That's a pretty far-reaching generalization. None of us have any idea what Yulia chooses to watch or where she finds it. And not all 15-year-olds watch the same things.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That's a pretty far-reaching generalization. None of us have any idea what Yulia chooses to watch or where she finds it. And not all 15-year-olds watch the same things.
    Agreed. I saw it when NBC aired it without commercials, and I was 15. A number of my friends had seen it previous to that after a holocaust section in grade 9 history talked about the movie. It's entirely possible she saw it a few times, or even once and it struck a chord with her.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Agreed. I saw it when NBC aired it without commercials, and I was 15. A number of my friends had seen it previous to that after a holocaust section in grade 9 history talked about the movie. It's entirely possible she saw it a few times, or even once and it struck a chord with her.
    Well then I stand corrected.

vCash
    Wow. The Killjoys are out in force in this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    how is ripping off an old Kat Witt routine from a previous olys "adult"?
    Witt's Schindler's List program was a professional program in 1995, after she turned pro the second time -- it was never performed in an Olympics.

Although the theme and costuming of Lipnitskaya's program had significant similarities with Witt's, the actual choreographic choices were different.

Brittney McConn, for one, also skated to music from Schindler's List as the middle section of her free program in 1995 as a 14-year-old junior. She didn't wear red or claim to portray that character, and I have no idea whether she had seen the movie, but she did connect well to the music IMO.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast