Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Robin Szolkowy has a new partner Myriam Leuenberger?

I was sure he wanted to stop skating, but it seems not. He will appear in shows with a new partner
    http://www.mdr.de/sachsen/chemnitz/s...medium=twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    I was sure he wanted to stop skating, but it seems not. He will appear in shows with a new partner
    thanks for the infos npavel.

seems like leuenberger is lucky girl and might geht invitations to shows, she never dreamed off.
    though i am kind sad hearing robin in the last seconds of the clips, as it seems, that the ice between him and aliona/ingo is really frozen

but great to see him on the ice once more.

vCash
    Unfortunately, as I'm not in Germany, I can't hear the clip. . But There is an article
    http://www.freiepresse.de/SPORT/Robi...kel8912429.php
    saying they got invitation to the new version of Opera on Ice in Verona

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    According to her ISU bio, she's only 11cm or so shorter than he is - and I understand that the height reported for Szolkowy in his bio may not be quite accurate. But I guess for skating shows, that won't be an issue since they can leave out more difficult elements.

vCash
    In the video you can see that their difference in height is not big. But for shows it doesn't really matter. They don't have to do triple twists. ;-) Robin is a very strong lifter and if they do some nice lifts and maybe a double throw alongside with pair spin and spirals it should be good enough for the shows.

I still hope that once Aljona Savchenko finished her experiment with Bruno Massot and everything has calmed down between them, that she and Robin will skate together in shows. It would be a good story and they could have a "reunification" show in 2018. :-)

vCash
    It took Grischuk/Platov almost 20 years to reunite and by the time they did it wasn't too interesting anymore. Hope Savchenko/Szelkowy don't wait for too long....

YEAH!
    vCash
    I'm glad Robin has a partner. I guess I'm not a good OES fan because I have never heard of Miriam. According to wiki, she has only had a singles career so far. Between that and her height, it's an interesting choice for Robin but I really hope it works out. It says her coach was Gheorge Chiper, so maybe she's voidy.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    It took Grischuk/Platov almost 20 years to reunite and by the time they did it wasn't too interesting anymore. Hope Savchenko/Szelkowy don't wait for too long....
    8 years (they stopped in 1998 and started again in 2006)... I agree that they missed out on some of their prime pro years, Platov wasting them in the partnership with Usova and Grishuk hardly skating at all... a real pity because when Grishuk showed up on those reality shows she was clearly in great shape so we could have been watching her for at least another decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    though i am kind sad hearing robin in the last seconds of the clips, as it seems, that the ice between him and aliona/ingo is really frozen
    What happened between them? I've been a bit out of the figure skating loop since the Olympics due to lack of time. It's sad to hear Aliona and Robin don't skate together even in shows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inskate View Post
    What happened between them? I've been a bit out of the figure skating loop since the Olympics due to lack of time. It's sad to hear Aliona and Robin don't skate together even in shows.
    Brief summary: Savchenko would like to continue competing with a new partner through 2018 (see the Savchenko/Massot thread in GSD), while Szolkowy has retired from competitive skating and, it is assumed, had hoped to make money with Aliona by skating in shows (S/S originally were scheduled to perform in lucrative shows after Worlds in Japan and Korea, for example, but cancelled after Savchenko/Massot began training with Steuer).

Savchenko/Szolkowy last skated together in their home rink's Chemnitz show in April -- videos are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ny-on-April-26
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Can the skate after the shows together or does that mean they lose eligibility?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inskate View Post
    Sylvia covered the main points, but just to add some details...

Savchenko wanted to continue competing. Szolkowy did not - they were committed to some shows post-Worlds including ATS, but I'm not clear on what he wanted to do long-term. Savchenko teamd up with Bruno Massot, and IIRC this was not supposed to be announced until after S/S did a farewell show in Chemnitz, but Szolkowy's fiancee told Daria Popova (Massot's then-partner) right before Worlds and the story broke. Savchenko was pissed off, and probably some not so nice things were said by various parties. Either Szolkowy did not want to do shows with her anymore, Savchenko was going to be too busy training with Massot to skate shows with Solkowy, or both, so Savchenko ended up going to ATS with Massot and they skated to Happy. So subtle.

It is, indeed, a pity that things turned out like this between Savchenko and Szolkowy and I hope they can patch things up eventually.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 07-21-2014 at 06:16 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the explanations, Sylvia & Zemgirl! That's sad to hear, they were an amazing pair and I hoped we'd get to see them skate in shows after they retire. I hope they will sort out their differences eventually.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Sylvia;4295136]Brief summary: Savchenko would like to continue competing with a new partner through 2018 (see the Savchenko/Massot thread in GSD), while Szolkowy has retired from competitive skating and, it is assumed, had hoped to make money with Aliona by skating in shows (S/S originally were scheduled to perform in lucrative shows after Worlds in Japan and Korea, for example, but cancelled after Savchenko/Massot began training with Steuer).

Robin did hope to skate professionally in shows with Aliona but they had never discussed this or anything else regarding the future. The offer to skate in the Japan shows following Worlds was presented to them the day of the long program - but Robin had made other arrangements for the upcoming week and he was not available to do the shows.

vCash
    I couldn't see the linked video, so I looked up Miriam L. Is this her skating for Switzerland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdfJAqLlAU&app=desktop

Indeed, it is too bad that after all Aliona and Robin accomplished together with Ingo through thick and thin, that things ended up this way. They should have definitely won an Olympic gold medal by now. I wonder if they had, whether Aliona would still have the fire to continue competing. If everything was worked out between just the two of them (Aliona and Robin), instead of it also involving Massot, Robin's girlfriend, and Popova, maybe perhaps a more amicable arrangement might have been reached. I also wonder whether the difficult emotions engendered by the loss in Sochi is what had Aliona so fired up to continue or whether she had eyes on Massot all along once she knew that Robin definitely wanted to retire at the end of the 2013-2014 season?

Oh well, nothing lasts forever, but S/S and S were definitely the bomb while it lasted -- The Three Musketeers Fade to Black ...

Best of luck to both new team partnerships for competition (S/M) and for shows (L/S).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I couldn't see the linked video, so I looked up Miriam L. Is this her skating for Switzerland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdfJAqLlAU&app=desktop

Indeed, it is too bad that after all Aliona and Robin accomplished together with Ingo through thick and thin, that things ended up this way. They should have definitely won an Olympic gold medal by now. I wonder if they had, whether Aliona would still have the fire to continue competing. If everything was worked out between just the two of them (Aliona and Robin), instead of it also involving Massot, Robin's girlfriend, and Popova, maybe perhaps a more amicable arrangement might have been reached. I also wonder whether the difficult emotions engendered by the loss in Sochi is what had Aliona so fired up to continue or whether she had eyes on Massot all along once she knew that Robin definitely wanted to retire at the end of the 2013-2014 season?

Oh well, nothing lasts forever, but S/S and S were definitely the bomb while it lasted -- The Three Musketeers Fade to Black ...

Best of luck to both new team partnerships for competition (S/M) and for shows (L/S).
    I don't think that Aliona had her eye on Massot before. Its seems like she just decided to come back after not winning gold at the Olympics, and I think she originally wanted Robin to do another quad, but he wasn't interested. I think she was considering basically anyone at or near her level as a partner, and Massot was the one it worked best with.

vCash
    Miriam was at Worlds this past year as Zoltan Kelemen's coach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kYd1cLqn4#t=4m25s

vCash
    Quite disappointed by Robin's choice. Can't believe he couldn't do better than literally obscure European single skater. From the fact that Myriam was part of "Art on Ice skaters" team I derive Robin's fiancee had something to do with this.
    Quite disappointed by the level "Opera Pop" sets to itself if they take this pair to perform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Quite disappointed by Robin's choice. Can't believe he couldn't do better than literally obscure European single skater. From the fact that Myriam was part of "Art on Ice skaters" team I derive Robin's fiancee had something to do with this.
    Quite disappointed by the level "Opera Pop" sets to itself if they take this pair to perform.
    I think that Robin wanted to have a partner with whom he comes along well with and has fun. He said in the interview, that he finally has a partner who enjoys to laugh as much as he does. I guess he often had hard times with Aljona nd Ingo, so now he just wants to enjoy what he´s doing. Maybe he and his fiancee are good friends with Myriam since several years. We´ll see how it will work out, but for now I´m happy that HE is happy! :-) And I´m also looking forward to see them in Verona

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    I think that Robin wanted to have a partner with whom he comes along well with and has fun. He said in the interview, that he finally has a partner who enjoys to laugh as much as he does. I guess he often had hard times with Aljona nd Ingo, so now he just wants to enjoy what he´s doing. Maybe he and his fiancee are good friends with Myriam since several years. We´ll see how it will work out, but for now I´m happy that HE is happy! :-) And I´m also looking forward to see them in Verona
    My impression from Robin as a person is that it's not that difficult to come along well with him. Glad to know he enjoys this project, always wished him the best and was glad to see his photos from Oberstdorf.
    Probably they were good friends since many years, this doesn't make this pairing closer to any decent level of pair skating.
    It might be good enough for some small club show or whatever, but from the show which positions itself as one of the best in the world I expect to see skaters on a totally different level. And "Opera Pop" apart I wish to Robin a totally different level, because he deserves that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    My impression from Robin as a person is that it's not that difficult to come along well with him. Glad to know he enjoys this project, always wished him the best and was glad to see his photos from Oberstdorf.
    Probably they were good friends since many years, this doesn't make this pairing closer to any decent level of pair skating.
    It might be good enough for some small club show or whatever, but from the show which positions itself as one of the best in the world I expect to see skaters on a totally different level. And "Opera Pop" apart I wish to Robin a totally different level, because he deserves that.
    Oh, I knew what you mean. I also think he deserved someone better, but if it´s Myriam who makes him happy, well, I will not judge anything before I haven´t seen them. And I didn´t wanted to say it´s Robin who´s difficult to come along well with. He seems to me as the perfect partner you can only dream to skate with
    As for Opera Pop - well, if Aljona was allowed to skate with Bruno at ATS, it´s fair that Robin also get´s an invitation that big. Maybe it´s their only show of this level so I hope they can enjoy it We don´t know which connections they had for an invitation there - but I will not feel disturbed at the show when I see them skate in September!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast