vCash

Changed internet providers

I changed internet providers the other day to save money. Today, I've noticed that I can no longer access my email account from my previous provider. I had many emails saved there and am wondering are they gone forever? I can understand my not sending any new emails from that account, but shouldn't I be able to access my saved ones?

Thanks in advance.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I changed internet providers the other day to save money. Today, I've noticed that I can no longer access my email account from my previous provider. I had many emails saved there and am wondering are they gone forever? I can understand my not sending any new emails from that account, but shouldn't I be able to access my saved ones?

Thanks in advance.
    I was told by my old IP that I would not have access to my saved e mail if I cancelled their service, so, before I cancelled, I forwarded them all to my yahoo account.

I'd guess this is pretty standard.

vCash
    I would say that is pretty standard. Once you change ISPs, that is it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I changed ISP, but I kept my email address by paying a $5 per month charge for their mail server. I have all my paypal, banking and FSU! -important stuff attached to that email so it is worth it to me.

Then I had to set up my Outlook to download from my original mail server but send outgoing mail through my current ISP's mail server.

I also have it set so that my Outlook downloads and removes the mail from the server as I look at it, so that my computer has the only copy of the mail.

I'm not sure what program you use to handle your mail, but a nice feature of Outlook is that you can set it up to get mail from more than one email account. It sounds like your mail was only on your former ISP's server and not on your own computer. You could call them and see if it has been deleted from their server, and if not, then maybe you could pay a fee and get it off their server?
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash

Thanks in advance.
    Once you've stopped paying for an ISP's service, that means you've stopped paying for access to their servers. If you had mail stored on their servers, you no longer have access to that. You *might* be able to get your mail from their servers for a fee, but that would depend on the company.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash

Update

I called my former internet provider and it took, I'm not kidding, at least half hour on the phone to get an answer to my question. Turns out, when I tried to read my email, the screen wanted me to agree to some sort of statement. It looked like they were going to charge me a fee, so that's why I didn't "agree" to the information. I was told to go ahead and agree to it, and that it wouldn't cost me anything. I could then forward, individually, my emails to my new email account, for at least 60 days, until I would no longer be able to access.

Thank goodness for that!

Thanks for all your help, though!

I was worried that two of the tech support had asked for my password to the account in order to determine the problem. I NEVER give out my password. I did go in after the phone call and change the password - but they had access to the account for a while. Nothing super private on there, but still.

Also the second time I had to give out my password (I was at work making this phone call), one of the stupid employees here pretended to be looking at some paperwork for the longest time, trying to hear my phone converation. I had to tell the support person that I didn't want to "say what it was" at the moment because someone was standing there. Some people.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Cupid, remember to also update and change anything you need to that is registered under your old email address. I used to be BigB0882 and had to re-register and add an extra 2 on the end because of a sudden email change and forgetting to update registrations here and other places. It causes a lot of headache!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I was worried that two of the tech support had asked for my password to the account in order to determine the problem. I NEVER give out my password. I did go in after the phone call and change the password - but they had access to the account for a while. Nothing super private on there, but still.

Also the second time I had to give out my password (I was at work making this phone call), one of the stupid employees here pretended to be looking at some paperwork for the longest time, trying to hear my phone converation. I had to tell the support person that I didn't want to "say what it was" at the moment because someone was standing there. Some people.
    Aren't you a little paranoid about your email account? I doubt the person was waiting to hear your password so they could go and look your email up.

Having said that, email is one of the least private/safe forms of communication. Without much problem people who own the servers can access it without the password, and other people can access it at the servers it goes through to get to its destination. So unless you encrypt your email messages, they're are pretty easily accessible to many people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Aren't you a little paranoid about your email account? I doubt the person was waiting to hear your password so they could go and look your email up.

Having said that, email is one of the least private/safe forms of communication. Without much problem people who own the servers can access it without the password, and other people can access it at the servers it goes through to get to its destination. So unless you encrypt your email messages, they're are pretty easily accessible to many people.
    I guess I am paranoid, considering the high rate of identity thefts in recent years. Plus, I don't think someone should be standing around while you're obviously on a personal call, trying to listen in. I always try to make myself scarce when someone's on a personal call at work. But that's just me.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I guess I am paranoid, considering the high rate of identity thefts in recent years.
    What does it have to do with email, though? If you send such a sensitive info unencrypted, you'll only have yourself to blame if someone steals it. Like I told you, email is one of the least safe forms of communications. It's pretty much like passing a folded note through a lot of hands.

Plus, I don't think someone should be standing around while you're obviously on a personal call, trying to listen in. I always try to make myself scarce when someone's on a personal call at work. But that's just me.
    Of course, but that's just bad manners. You should have asked them, "Can I help you with something?" and maybe then they'd get a clue. If not, I would probably say, "I'm sorry but I'm on the phone. Could I have some privacy, please?" but that's just me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    What does it have to do with email, though? If you send such a sensitive info unencrypted, you'll only have yourself to blame if someone steals it. Like I told you, email is one of the least safe forms of communications. It's pretty much like passing a folded note through a lot of hands.
    The reason to use a strong password and keep it to yourself is that many online services send an email to confirm that you are who you claim to be. If someone gets your email password, they can sign up for services in your name and can get control of your online life!
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    The reason to use a strong password and keep it to yourself is that many online services send an email to confirm that you are who you claim to be. If someone gets your email password, they can sign up for services in your name and can get control of your online life!
    Thank you!

And WindSpirit, I like your suggestion that I should have spoken up and asked if that person needed something while I was on the phone call. I'm learning to be more assertive without my usual alienation of people.