Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Wine Aficionados?

Hi guys--
    I am trying to stick to my New Year's Resolution by stepping out of my comfort zone. Now I am looking for wines to try. So, what are your favorites?

I don't want anything terribly expensive, at least not to start until I can figure out where my preferences are. I do not care for dry wines (but I do want to hear about whatever it is that you're drinking, so please share your experiences, regardless!!). I would prefer something sweet. I've had several people tell me to go to Trader Joe's and have a look around, but no one can suggest what I should buy!

Thanks for your feedback--as always, I know it will be interesting!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I really love prosecco--it's the Italian version of champagne. It usually retails from $9.99 to $24.99, but I can't really taste the difference between the cheap and expensive.

Muscato is also an expensive, sweet wine. It's usually drunk with desserts, but it's not so sweet you can't drink it with a meal either.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Just throwing out my experience with wine. I have never liked it and try as I might, I don't think I ever will. So don't force yourself to like something if you find you don't. You still tried something new! The one I found I can stomach is a cheap box wine that is a Rose. It is really sweet and tastes watered down which makes me like it more. People who like wine tell me it is horrible, go figure!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Yeah I don't like wine either. The only ones I can handle are the Arbor Mist/Wild Vine variety My mom who LOVES wine keeps trying to get me into it but I just can't. It reminds me of the one time I left orange juice in the fridge too long and when I took a swig it tasted like it had fermented or something.. it was so gross.

I do enjoy a glass of champagne now and then though

vCash
    Inniskillin- Late Autumn Reisling
    Inniskillin- Reisling
    Two Oceans (South African wine)

Kissing Tree- Zinfandel Blush

Beringer- White Zinfandel

I find zinfandels, reislings (esp late autumn) and Gewurztraminer wines are the easiest to drink if you are not a fan of dry wine (which I am not)

If you can look at the sweetness scale, my thinking is you probably prefer a 2 and up. I like about a 3-4 but find the odd 2 that is quite good. I plug Inniskillin wine a lot because it is absolutely amazing and I live 25 minutes away from where they produce it. Niagara wines are my favourite and really not widely known.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Oh and one wine I did fine enjoyable was a Reisling (I think) called Relax. It was actually nice, not sure if I could have more than one glass but I liked what I had. This seems to be a wine a lot of people I know like who aren't big wine drinkers. Might be a good one to start out with.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Another wine that is amazing is

DEINHARD GREEN LABEL RIESLING (from Germany)- It is a level 3 or 4...can't remember but I discovered it by accident with my husband one day only because they were giving extra air miles for buying it. lol
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Hi guys--
    I am trying to stick to my New Year's Resolution by stepping out of my comfort zone. Now I am looking for wines to try. So, what are your favorites?

I don't want anything terribly expensive, at least not to start until I can figure out where my preferences are. I do not care for dry wines (but I do want to hear about whatever it is that you're drinking, so please share your experiences, regardless!!). I would prefer something sweet. I've had several people tell me to go to Trader Joe's and have a look around, but no one can suggest what I should buy!

Thanks for your feedback--as always, I know it will be interesting!
    It's not enough to just drink wine, you have to pair it with something else to complement the taste. Nowadays, I can't eat pizza without a glass of sparkling wine, preferably Scharffenberger Brut or Tattinger Champagne. Pairing wine with cheese really works. I tried Jarlsberg, a nutty-tasting cheese, with J.Lohr Merlot - HEAVEN!

If I'm having oysters, I better have a Gewurztraminer on hand.

As for Riesling, the quality ones tend to be pricey. The one I sampled from Alsace (can't remember the winery exactly) was fantastic (sweet) but expensive ($40s). The cheaper one I bought from BevMo (on sale for $10) was bitter and undrinkable.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I recommend the Italian Amarone. Yum!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Re-registered User
    vCash
    If you are trying any red wines remember to serve it at or near room temperature. It just tastes sour and bitter if you serve it cold (as I've had to gag down at well meaning friends houses who've bought wine to please me). Also- the idea that you need to let red wine breathe (open the bottle or pour the glass) before you drink it is absolutely true. It makes a big difference in the flavour. As a casual wine drinker, I could not believe how much better my wine tasted that my husbands, when he gave me a wineglass made from breathable glass for Christmas a few years ago. I thought it would be hard to tell the difference, like coke versus pepsi, but it was more like coke versus Dr Pepper when we poured at the same time.

If you want something really sweet you can try an ice wine with dessert.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I've yet to find a Germany white I don't like. My favorite is called Piersporter Michaelsberg.

vCash
    I am partial to red wines --Merlot or Shiraz mostly, although a like a good Cabernet Sauvignon with something like a beef stew. I often buy Rosemount's Merlot or Shiraz, and they are quite reliable and not too expensive.

vCash
    Check out wine stores in your area. There are 2 near me (Farmington and Glastonbury, CT) that have Wine Tastings regularly (weekly) so you can try some before buying.

vCash
    If you like a white wine that isn't too dry, try gewurztraminer - it's always been my favorite, and it's gaining in popularity. It's an Alsatian wine. I don't know where you live, but if you feel more adventurous, another idea is to visit a local vineyard. My husband and I just did a tour of Alba Vineyards here in NJ (yes, NJ) that included a wine tasting and we had a very good time. We got to sample their wines and found a couple that we really enjoyed - their geweuztraminer was excellent. Nothing was too pricey either.

I believe that wine shops also run tastings - that's a good way to discover what you like/hate.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I like the Merlot's from Chile, the Cabernet Sauvignon from Australia (Wolf Blass) and the wine we drink the most, because it's my husbands favourite, is Valpolicella (Mazzi, Bolla or Tommasi) which goes really nicely with beef or pizza or spagetti. (And about 1/3 the cost of an Amarone)
    Last edited by rjblue; 04-04-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I recommend the Italian Amarone. Yum!
    Amarone di Valpolicella is probably one of finest wines I've ever tasted but it's pretty expensive, innit?
    Teroldego Rotaliano of Mezzacorona Riserva 2006 is around 8 Euros
    Nero d'Avola of Santa Cecilia of Planeta is the top but I'm sure you can find cheaper bottles tasting almost as divine.
    I prefer bold red wines usually but during the summer I lurves me some Gewurztraminer of Tramin.

An Italian friend of mine once gave me the hint that one should look for wines embottled at the origin.
    Also I find wines of the 2006 taste much better than those of the following years.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    An Italian friend of mine once gave me the hint that one should look for wines embottled at the origin.
    For Italian wines look for the designation "Indicazione geografica tipica" or "Denominazione di origine controllata" on the bottle, and for French wines look for "Vin de pays". I've found that helpful when I'm shopping for the lower priced wines.

vCash
    You all have been fabulous (as I knew you would be!)!!

I am so excited about your suggestions I don't know whee to start. But don't stop now! Trying them all is going to be the fun part!!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Another vote for Gewurztraminer, especially with Indian food. I'm not usually a big fan of pairings; either I like wine or I don't. A certain cheese won't make me suddenly like it. But Gewurztraminer with Indian food is just heaven. Ditto with cheap prosecco and pizza.

I prefer French Riesling--there's one that comes in a blue bottle from World Market that is just

If you decide you do want to try reds, my favorite is La Crema Pinot Noir. The price varies wildly based on the year, but IMO, the price fluctuation does not always guarantee a better taste, so get the cheap one. They're all pretty good, but even the cheaper ones are in the 18.99 to 23.99 ways. (The La Crema Chardonnay is great as well). A nice Beaujolais in the summer is just divine. I love Layer Cake Malbec, too. I've never met an Argentinian wine I didn't like though. Just for trying, the Yellow Tail wines are great too because they start at 7.99 so if you don't like them, you haven't really lost too much. I lurrrve the Yellow Tail Shiraz.

I'd also recommend sangria, but I wouldn't buy it in a bottle. If you can go somewhere it's made in-house and fresh, it is one of the best things you've ever put in your mouth on a hot July night. If it's out of a bottle, it can be a truly nasty experience.

Just be sure and save the label on the bottle so if you like it or hate it, you can remember for the future. IMO, price is rarely an indication of quality (except French champagne--expensive really is better IMO). If you decide you prefer box wines, even if they are completely nasty and gross, drink 'em and screw what anyone else says. I sometimes wonder if it's the snobbery that sometimes goes along with wine rather than the taste that turns people off.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    What would be a good drink for someone who does not like alcohol (beer or wine, no reason other than just never acquired a taste for it) but has to go to a monthly work happy hour for 'team bonding' and I don't wanna look like a sourpuss for not having a drink? Is there something that taste almost like fruit juice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast