Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Don't buy Sugar Gliders!!!

These adorable animals are an Australian native. But apparently they have become a bit hit in the US. Problem is people do not know how to look after them properly and are feeding them crap.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sug...-1225848487571
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Sugar gliders have been pretty popular for many many years here in the US. And like any wild animal they require special care and attention. The little hedgehogs are pretty popular too. My husband and had a friend who rescued abandoned wild pets and she has nursed many a sugar glider back to health and adopted them out, but sadly many died too.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Mojito - thanks for that. Glad your friend rescues them.

I have always liked them. When I was a kid I had a book about a sugar glider, which was part of a whole series about different Australian native animals. Really liked those books.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I've never liked the idea of people owning non-traditional animals for pets. A few years ago prairaie dogs were big. So were hedgehodges. I don't know why we can't have law against owning exotic animals. No one needs to own any of these. Krirsti Alley is raising magadascar lemurs to sell as pets. I think that's just plain wrong. She should be more concern with losing weight and just leave these animals alone.

vCash
    Sugar gliders were big when I was in high school (10 years ago). Girls would carry them in their shirt pockets at school (they weren't supposed to). Apparently they were an animal that needs "attachment" to their caregiver, so they couldn't be left at home.

I always wonder what happened to them when the owner got bored of them.

vCash
    Who in their right mind feeds hotdogs and soda to a pet of any variety? I don't give my dogs that kind of crap! People are stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Who in their right mind feeds hotdogs and soda to a pet of any variety? I don't give my dogs that kind of crap! People are stupid.
    Yes.

And this is just one example of 100s of ways that many people treat pets like a trendy pair of shoes they wear for a bit while it's popular and then toss into the back of the closet and forget. The number of idiots who abandon dogs on the street so they can go on vacation is unreal.

One SIL of mine fancies herself a pet lover, but I've long since lost track of all the pets that have come into her house of animal death, never to leave. The latest was a "friendly" squirrel that appeared at a family bbq. I think it took her less than a week to kill the feral animal indoors.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I KNOW! No sane person would assume stuff like that is okay to give to a dog or cat...but they're okay for cute animals?

vCash
    I'm not sure why a bite of hot dog would be a problem if given as a little treat. I actually recall chopped hot dog bits being recommended as a training food and another trainer recommending that, on hot days, frozen hot dogs (cut in half) would be nice treats for my dogs. Obviously, they would be treats to be used sparingly and not in place of the dog's regular food.

I don't defend soda. That makes no sense to me.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I agree - I had never heard of sugar gliders before, but I can't imagine giving a Coke to any pet. Sugar and caffeine?

Mini/exotic pets have been popular for a while here. In the 80s-90s there was a real problem in New York City with people getting Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pigs and thinking that they would stay small. When they grew, people were dumping them in the park or under one of the bridges and there were herds of them that animal control had to relocate. Totally irresponsible.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Soda, very dumb. Hot dogs, for a dog, not a huge deal as long as it's a small piece on rare occasion. I mean have you looked at what's in dog food? A hot dog isn't that bad.... lol

But yes certain animals do not need any of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Soda, very dumb. Hot dogs, for a dog, not a huge deal as long as it's a small piece on rare occasion. I mean have you looked at what's in dog food? A hot dog isn't that bad.... lol

But yes certain animals do not need any of that.
    Maybe it's not a big deal for some dogs, but if you sit in the same room with my dog a few hours after she's eaten something not on her regular diet, you will realize why it's probably not a good idea to feed her anything but dog food!

vCash
    I don't feed my dogs dog food, and they've been a lot healthier, happier, active, and have shinier coats without it. Dogs were never meant to eat corn, various starches, beaks, or the by products of by products. They get organic fish, beef, veggies, and occasionally brown rice (for some reason, they loooooove brown rice, but I don't give it to them often).

No more digestive problems. One of them is epileptic--hasn't had a seizure since I started them all on "people" food. Plus, it's cheaper. The cost of dog food is unreal. If I'm going to spend that much, I might as well give them better quality people food. Plus, many--not all, but many--vets are paid in some way to recommend certain brands of dog foods.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Beach Bum
    vCash
    My brother does that and his dog is healthy and he saves money. A lot of people recommend giving people quality meat/rice/veggies to dogs instead of commerical dog food, but I don't think hot dogs are what they have in mind as a staple because they are high in fat. I would guess that little bits are fine for training treats. Of course, one big problem is that people feed their pets pet food and then let them snack too much on people food under the table, leading to overweight animals with all kinds of digestive issues. Lady across the street walks (drags) this beagle who makes me want to cry - he is almost as wide as he is long. And obviously so uncomfortable. There is nothing cute about watching a dog drink soda or eat a bag of potato chips.

Of course, the original article is about giving people junk food to a small animal that thrives on insects.

Matry - what time is dinner, sounds good!

vCash
    I've been seriously considering just feeding my dog people food. She eats good dog food now, that has meat as the main ingredient, but I still wonder about the whole freeze dried aspect. Plus it has to be extremely boring for her.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I thought this was part of the state fair food thread
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I thought there was some kind of cereal recall.

vCash
    If you don't like the ingredients in mainstream commercial dog or cat foods, check out Natura products. They are made with whole food ingredients in a plant that has met all of the most stringent certification standards for making food for human consumption. And some are certified organic.

My husband works there.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I don't feed my dogs dog food, and they've been a lot healthier, happier, active, and have shinier coats without it. Dogs were never meant to eat corn, various starches, beaks, or the by products of by products. They get organic fish, beef, veggies, and occasionally brown rice (for some reason, they loooooove brown rice, but I don't give it to them often).

No more digestive problems. One of them is epileptic--hasn't had a seizure since I started them all on "people" food. Plus, it's cheaper. The cost of dog food is unreal. If I'm going to spend that much, I might as well give them better quality people food. Plus, many--not all, but many--vets are paid in some way to recommend certain brands of dog foods.
    This is what I've been trying to explain to my roommate, who just bought a 20-lb bag of Hill's Science Diet for the cats. My mom tried it on the dog years ago, and it was crap because it had so much corn in it and he's allergic to corn. IMO if corn is one of the first ingredients in a dog food, no way is that company producing good-quality pet foods.

Maybe once I finally clean up that old meat grinder I have (random freebie from a Craigslist post when I bought something else ), I'll grind up some real meat for the kitty food.

vCash
    Go get Natura foods! My resident expert tells me that they do not bring corn into the plant at all which would indicate that it is not an ingredient in any of the food. You can check the ingredients on the FAQ page at the website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast