Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 207

Thread: Mao News !

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Dream Layout:

    3lz-3lo
    3f-3t
    3a
    x 3s or 4s
    x 2a-3t-2lo
    x 3lz
    x 2a

    8 triples or 7 triples and a quad! I don't care if it's Mao or Miki or Yuna or some Russian wunderkid who does this layout, I just think if anyone ever pulled that off it would be AMAZING.=
    What an ambicious layout! 60.38 for base value with the 4S!


  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    What an ambicious layout! 60.38 for base value with the 4S!

    Yeah....I think one of the Russian girls could maybe pull it off , or even Yuna, Mao, or Miki - they are very driven, talented young ladies. If that ever happens I think they should let that person compete with the men

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    Posts
    715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    combo 3F+3r? I don't think the judges like 3r as a second jump, considering how frequently that gets downgraded. I think no one except of Miky Ando is doing that and she gets it sometimes downgraded. Too risky for Mao in my opinion.
    Why the heck not? That's been her trademark 3+3 until this season. Mao is not Miki Ando. Her rotation time in the air is much quicker than Miki's. She just needs to gain more speed into/out of her jumps.

    If she is not doing 3+3's, then what is she going to do? Two 3A's again? I hope not. This year's jumping layout was far from optimal.
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 04-03-2010 at 09:18 PM.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    Why the heck not? That's been her trademark 3+3 until this season. Mao is not Miki Ando. Her rotation time in the air is much quicker than Miki's. She just needs to gain more speed into/out of her jumps.

    If she is not doing 3+3's, then what is she going to do? Two 3A's again? I hope not. This year's jumping layout was far from optimal.
    She's not going to have enough power to rotate that combination. Mao had to lose weight to get her 3a ratified but in doing so she appears to have lost speed and power in her skating. I think Miki's weight loss did the same thing and that's why she can't get 3lz-3lo ratified either, even though it helped with the quad. Next season Mao should not do 3a in the SP and do one 3a and one 3-3, preferably 3-3t and not 3-3lo in the LP.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    Posts
    715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She's not going to have enough power to rotate that combination. Mao had to lose weight to get her 3a ratified but in doing so she appears to have lost speed and power in her skating. I think Miki's weight loss did the same thing and that's why she can't get 3lz-3lo ratified either, even though it helped with the quad. Next season Mao should not do 3a in the SP and do one 3a and one 3-3, preferably 3-3t and not 3-3lo in the LP.
    But couldn't she regain the speed and power she once had in her skating? Are you saying that if she loses weight to do the 3A, she can't do the 3+3 anymore, and vice versa? Just one or the other? She did used to do the 3A and the 3+3lo in the same program, though. I don't understand...can she ever regain her technical form from 2007? Did puberty make her body change that much? If she isn't able to do the 3A and 3+3 next season I will be very sad.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Entre Pinto y Valdemoro
    Posts
    705
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mao has way more speed and power in her skating than when she was this jumping bean in 2006

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    And she deserves to be acknowledges as the first women to have 3 3As in competition ratified. When men have accomplished similar feats (i.e. Browning with the quad, Stoijko with the quad/triple) it's been considered significant and commentators have mentioned it forever after.

    However it seems like little attention has been given to Mao's 'first' in the sport. The Canadian commentators didn't even mention it and it was a significant and notable achievement.
    At least two of them (if not all three) were cheated and the SP one has been downgraded too, so I am not exactly share how this could be even submitted to Guiness...

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    At least two of them (if not all three) were cheated and the SP one has been downgraded too, so I am not exactly share how this could be even submitted to Guiness...
    They're referring to the Olympics~~~where she did get all 3 ratified.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    But couldn't she regain the speed and power she once had in her skating? Are you saying that if she loses weight to do the 3A, she can't do the 3+3 anymore, and vice versa? Just one or the other? She did used to do the 3A and the 3+3lo in the same program, though. I don't understand...can she ever regain her technical form from 2007? Did puberty make her body change that much? If she isn't able to do the 3A and 3+3 next season I will be very sad.
    It seems that bringing back the 3-3 is Mao's goal for next season, so I think she will definitely work on that. With the right technical coach, I think she can definitely regain the speed to do the 3-3's again.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    They're referring to the Olympics~~~where she did get all 3 ratified.
    Ahhh yes, sorry. I totally forgot about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    combo 3F+3r? I don't think the judges like 3r as a second jump, considering how frequently that gets downgraded. I think no one except of Miky Ando is doing that and she gets it sometimes downgraded. Too risky for Mao in my opinion.
    First of all, the judges don't apply downgrades. The technical panel does.

    Secondly, it has nothing to do with "liking," downgrades are applied when the underrotation is more than 1/4.

    Thirdly if a skater as obscure as Przemyslaw Domanski can keep doing 3lutz/3loop and get it ratified than I don't see how it would be a problem for Mao.

    Finally, combination jumps will most likely get a 1.1 factor from next season making loop combinations worth more than those with a toe-loop.

    On a different note, JSF is silly to even sumbit their request considering they will be the only federation supporting it. Changing the rules to suit one skater wouldn't exactly be very fair (same with two quads in the SP for Men, that I guess only Kevin Reynolds would benefit from ).

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    On a different note, JSF is silly to even sumbit their request considering they will be the only federation supporting it. Changing the rules to suit one skater wouldn't exactly be very fair (same with two quads in the SP for Men, that I guess only Kevin Reynolds would benefit from ).
    Of course it will only suit Mao, but it's not like the other ladies will be obligated to do a 3A in the SP, so I think this rule won't hurt them.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    But couldn't she regain the speed and power she once had in her skating? Are you saying that if she loses weight to do the 3A, she can't do the 3+3 anymore, and vice versa? Just one or the other? She did used to do the 3A and the 3+3lo in the same program, though. I don't understand...can she ever regain her technical form from 2007? Did puberty make her body change that much? If she isn't able to do the 3A and 3+3 next season I will be very sad.
    That seems to be the issue. It doesn't mean she can't do it, but if keeping her weight so low is the only way she can get her 3a ratified, then it means she has to be careful about not building up more muscle mass, which she probably needs if she wants to get a 3f-3lo combination ratified.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Y7VsqurWU Miki can't jump like that anymore. 3lz-3lo-2t? That's insane. Notice how much stronger and heavier she is in that clip though compared to now.

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,707
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11163
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    On a different note, JSF is silly to even sumbit their request considering they will be the only federation supporting it. Changing the rules to suit one skater wouldn't exactly be very fair (same with two quads in the SP for Men, that I guess only Kevin Reynolds would benefit from ).
    I disagree. If one lady can do the triple axel, then others may be able to do it as well. And if it properly rewarded, more ladies will be inspired to learn it and include it in competition.

    The men can do either the 3A or 2A and to not allow ladies the same is biased and unfair. Much as not allowing men to include the quad in the SP was biased and unfair.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,669
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Dream Layout:

    3lz-3lo
    3f-3t
    3a
    x 3s or 4s
    x 2a-3t-2lo
    x 3lz
    x 2a

    8 triples or 7 triples and a quad! I don't care if it's Mao or Miki or Yuna or some Russian wunderkid who does this layout, I just think if anyone ever pulled that off it would be AMAZING.=
    Yes, that would be amazing. Unfortunately I don't know any current lady who can do quad (yes, I know that Miki has done it in the past, but how many years ago?). The only current lady have 3A is Mao, and I don't know about any lady from present or past who would be able to do 3A and quad in the same program, so you may have to wait for this for a while... If the rules change and it will be more worth it to take a risk, skaters are probably going to try it, but as the rules with the underrotations are now, it would be too high risk to do this.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,707
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Yes, that would be amazing. Unfortunately I don't know any current lady who can do quad (yes, I know that Miki has done it in the past, but how many years ago?).
    When under-rotations weren't an issue.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,669
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    That't the problem. The penalty for underrotations.

    In current times
    3lz-3lo
    3f-3t
    3a
    x 3s or 4s

    could be marked as

    3lz-2lo
    3f-2t
    2a
    3s

    and all of that with minus GOEs.

    I won't forget Mirai Nagasu on one of her GP this year. It looked that she has done lovely and clean program with plenty of triples and then...
    Last edited by hanca; 04-05-2010 at 12:19 PM.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'Me so ashamed of my English'
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mao should go to Salome Bruner for CH this year. Lambiel's programs were this year...and Meier is always given something very elegant. Match made in Heaven IMO!

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,850
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    None of this news is a surprise, but it's all in the right direction. If somehow she can get the 3A rule pushed into the SP (way long shot) and if the ISU introduces intermediate marks for underrotations she's going to be much harder to beat.

    I'm assuming no one here thought that the Russian diva programming would work for her. Her strength is her deceptive power; her light skating that belies the speed and air she can get. Choose a style that works here. It's definitely not in-your-face skating. Plus a smile from her is a very likeable asset. Find programming that brings this out.

    What I would like to see, though, is that if she's going softer she needs MUCH more finish and polish. I'd like to see her work on cleaner lines, clean-edge landings that are held with run-out of the blade, and strong posture and point a few more toes. Else she'll look juniorish, and this will be tougher for her to get away with as an older skater.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    What I would like to see, though, is that if she's going softer she needs MUCH more finish and polish. I'd like to see her work on cleaner lines, clean-edge landings that are held with run-out of the blade, and strong posture and point a few more toes. Else she'll look juniorish, and this will be tougher for her to get away with as an older skater.
    Are you watching the same skater? Mao is really known for her beautiful lines and posture. Also she does point her toes.
    Last edited by miki88; 04-04-2010 at 05:47 PM.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Yes, that would be amazing. Unfortunately I don't know any current lady who can do quad (yes, I know that Miki has done it in the past, but how many years ago?). The only current lady have 3A is Mao, and I don't know about any lady from present or past who would be able to do 3A and quad in the same program, so you may have to wait for this for a while... If the rules change and it will be more worth it to take a risk, skaters are probably going to try it, but as the rules with the underrotations are now, it would be too high risk to do this.
    I was thinking maybe one of the little Russian girls....Liza already does 2a-3t-2lo and 3f-3t and is working on 3a, Adelina does 3lz-3lo often.

    Also here's a clip of Miki from last year's Worlds doing a quad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3o9J3UdBF8 , looks pretty good to me

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •