Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mao News !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    This I agree. (And yes I am alive and well ) However, I also think that fixing one jump (flip/lutz) can affect other jumps as well. I think fixing her flutz a season ago has affected her other jumps, especially her flip which looks kinda weird now. This directly affects her combos which all have flip as the first jump. I think if she reworks her flip jump, it may be possible for her to get the consistency she once had in her combos. Of course, this is not an easy task but it also depends on the new technical coach Mao gets in the future.
    BTW, I agree that fixing flutz can affect Flip. The two are completely different mechanism-wise. Learning one mechanism may affect the other. However, it is a matter of time and patience to fix flutz or relearn Lutz, I believe, although some say it is impossible to fix flutz without affecting the Flip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Technically, Mao's Flip is not a Flip though she gets it ratified as one. Flip is supposed to take advantage of a turn, Mohawk in her case, and its momentum. But, Mao glides after the turn, which essentially kills the momentum from the turn. There is no consensus, I think, about being true to the mechanism for deduction. So, Mao will be fine as long as she jumps on the inside edge. But, not being able to take advantage of the turn is one of the reasons, I assume, that she does not get enough energy to make 3F-3.

But, you must consider why she does Flip in the way she does in the first place. One, she may have a trouble keeping the jump edge when she is true to the Flip mechanism. Or, she may have a problem dealing with the more energy from the turn (after all, the reason she slows down before jump is to increase consistency by essentially reducing the energy from speed). I have no idea which is the case with her Flip. Either way, she is not going to make her 3F more powerful without risking consistency (on correct jump edge and/or actually landing it), I doubt.
    Maybe Mao and TAT was trying to make her flip more powerful or else I don't get why they tweaked with it. It definitely looks different from before. The entrance to her flip was not that long before. And since Mao's flip was quite inconsistent earlier this season that could point to the side effects of fixing a jump. And then to make it more consistent, she went back to older methods perhaps? Similar thing happened to her lutz. I agree that reworking jumps take a long time and it's tricky because the skater almost have to risk consistency and perhaps results in the short term for long term success and for a top skater like Mao it's a hard decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Maybe Mao and TAT was trying to make her flip more powerful or else I don't get why they tweaked with it. It definitely looks different from before. The entrance to her flip was not that long before. And since Mao's flip was quite inconsistent earlier this season that could point to the side effects of fixing a jump. And then to make it more consistent, she went back to older methods perhaps? Similar thing happened to her lutz. I agree that reworking jumps take a long time and it's tricky because the skater almost have to risk consistency and perhaps results in the short term for long term success and for a top skater like Mao it's a hard decision.
    I am not sure exactly what had happened with Mao and Tarasova. But, I doubt the long glide after the turn was to make Flip more powerful. The longer the glide, the slower one gets. And, you get more time to prepare for the jump. There may be other reasons for the long glide. But, it is safe to assume that it is to establish consistency in jump edge and/or landing (assuming no under-rotation).

I think the weight loss was bigger a factor for Mao's consistency. But, it is possible that fixing Lutz might have contributed to the inconsistency. Only she and her coaches (and her mom) know this for sure. So....

I agree that it is a very difficult decision for Mao to assume the risk. And, it is not just her decision. A lot have been built around Mao as I am sure you would agree. If Mao falls out of grace for a year or two, I am not sure what may transpire with all the build-ups around her. So, the new team will soon have to make a tough decision wisely by negotiating long term goals and short term whatnot.

vCash
    It's very good new for Mao that the ISU is considering allowing the 3A in the Ladies' SP. I'm assuming the proposed change will pass.

What is Mao's best strategy for the SP?

Should she do the 3A/2A and replace the 2A with a third triple. I gather that she doesn't have a consistent 3 lutz or sal, so would need to do two of 3T, Loop or Flip?

Or should she do the 3A by itself and add a 3-2 or 3-3 combo? I gather that her best chance is a 3T3T?

vCash
    She should do the 3A as the required axel so she doesn't have to worry about a downgrade as much. I think she should abandoned the triple axel combo and work on a 3-3.

I think she should do:

3A
    3f-3toe
    3l out of steps

That would give her a potential to have 4 triples in the short but if she only does a double axle and/or 2toe (downgrade, pop, being careful) it won't be as devastating in her score which should allow her to be less tight and allow the program to sing.

vCash
    Since Mao loves the Loop, I say she should go for:

3A
    3Lo+3Lo
    3F

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Since Mao loves the Loop, I say she should go for:

3Lo+3Lo

And I'm afraid that second 3Lo wouldn't get ratified.

I agree with posters above that her best chances are

3A
    3F+3T
    3Lo

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011