Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: State Fair Food

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    Despite knowing how horrible for your health the various state fair foods are, I have always wanted to travel the US one summer and go from fair to fair just trying the food! There used to be a show on Food Network that would go to different fairs and show the foods. My mouth would just water! This is definitely on my bucket list!
    Considering how unhealthy all the various deep-fried "treats" are, you might want to plan your State Fair food odyssey as the very last item on your bucket list -- as it could well turn out to be anyway.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Despite knowing how horrible for your health the various state fair foods are, I have always wanted to travel the US one summer and go from fair to fair just trying the food! There used to be a show on Food Network that would go to different fairs and show the foods. My mouth would just water! This is definitely on my bucket list!
    Our trip to the Iowa State Fair (yes, I actually planned a vacation around it a few years ago ) was great, but once was definitely enough. (We visited the Spam Museum in Minnesota on the same trip!)

vCash
    I hate anything deep fried, but I've been known to go to a fair just for the cotton candy.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Sounds like the perfect snack....when you're stoned.

vCash
    As far as I'm concerned, the State Fair of Texas is the king of fried crap. I had fried oreos last year and it was the most unsatisfying meal ever. It was gross.

They also introduced fried butter at the fair last year, but I did not try it. Supposedly they 'flavor' the butter then fry it. Apparently it was really popular. Yuck.

And I love fried pickles. One of my favorite things to eat!!

ETA: LOLOLOL I forgot Texas also loves to fry liquids. My dad has had the fried coke and my mom has had the fried cappuccino.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I thought you were from the South?

The year we went to the Iowa State Fair, all the talk wasn't about what was going to be deep fried (they've been there done that apparently), but rather what would be served on a stick. The local newspaper was showcasing the lasted gadgets for beer on a stick that year.
    My Darling Jenny, I AM from the South, where deep fried is a way of life!

But to be honest, when I was a pre-teen and being greatly under the influence of the James Bond movies, I had great urgings for "pickle martinis." This was composed of a short glass full of pickle juice from the jar and a small slice of pickle for garnish. To this day, I could drink a cup of juice especially from a kosher dill jar of pickles. It's one of my favorite things in the world! Call me weird..you won't be the first.... But pickle juice is delicious and a way lot less fattening than anything fried.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the State Fair of Texas is the king of fried crap. I had fried oreos last year and it was the most unsatisfying meal ever. It was gross.

They also introduced fried butter at the fair last year, but I did not try it. Supposedly they 'flavor' the butter then fry it. Apparently it was really popular. Yuck.

And I love fried pickles. One of my favorite things to eat!!

ETA: LOLOLOL I forgot Texas also loves to fry liquids. My dad has had the fried coke and my mom has had the fried cappuccino.
    Yeah I remember staring at the fried butter stuff. That makes the fried peach (or whatever fruit de jour) just tame.

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    I've tried chocolate-covered bacon (meh) and deep fried oreos (not bad) but my new favorite is unique -- NC State Ice Cream. Delicious and the kids working the stand are generous to a fault. One cone is enough for three people. We shared because I wasn't putting kids on rides, or in my car, after eating that much ice cream.
    OMIGOD, you mean the NC State something-or-another group in the red building???? Right across from the grilled corn on the cob.

I miss the State Fairgrounds all the time! There are no good flea markets and I miss the fair.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I'm from the Deep South. I love fried chicken/chicken fried steak/chicken fried chicken, as well as Krispy Kreme Donuts. However, the thought of putting those two things together along with all that other crap sounds absolutely revolting

If I'm going to harden my arteries (I've pretty much cut fried stuff out of my diet), give me a platter of hot, crispy fried green tomatoes (dredged/battered in salt-and-peppered flour by god, not in corn meal), with a tangy rémoulade. Fried dill pickles are outstanding, but I'll take hot and crispy fried okra (once again, dredged in seasoned flour) and cooked to the point that it nearly crumbles - if they could make that to order at the movie theatre, I'd eat a bucket of true Southern fried okra over oil-drenched "buttered" popcorn any day of the week.

One of my Aunt's adores fried snickers bars, but for me?

vCash
    The Tulsa State Fair did deep fried butter this year

I like the deep fried cheese curds, but I can only handle a few at a time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    What do you do with it? Is it like fried mozallella stick where it's crusty on the outside and melted on the inside? I'm sure Paula Dean would love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    OMIGOD, you mean the NC State something-or-another group in the red building???? Right across from the grilled corn on the cob.
    I miss the State Fairgrounds all the time! There are no good flea markets and I miss the fair.
    Yep - that's the place. We go every year, although I'm shooting for a Dollywood trip this year instead, but I know DH will insist on the NC State Fair.

I don't like grilled corn on the cob, but I'm just weird that way. Everyone else raved about it. I don't even like it when my sister makes it on the grill, which is saying something. I'll take mine boiled, please.

That is an awesome flea market. We went to the car show a few weeks ago and didn't realize that they had a flea market every weekend. Too much temptation and I already have exceeded my new home's "crapacity" so I won't be going back anytime soon.

Ice cream made by NC State from their on-campus dairy is out of this world and not costly. They were near the foot bridge and exit.

Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    And you can get [NC State Ice Cream] year round on campus. Reminds self to indulge soon...
    I didn't know that - deets, please. I have a kids' birthday party coming up and that would be a real treat.

New York State Fair is in Syracuse.
    Yup - it's huge and crowded.

The Richmond County Fair on Staten Island is smaller-scale and lots of fun, including the rides and delicous treats. I love the racing pigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Icetalavista View Post
    Maybe they could deep fry actual sticks and put deep fried sticks on sticks. it's the logical progression.
    ROFLOL! *starts cleaning coffee off screen* Too funny!

Deep fried butter - I could justify eating this because (a) I like butter a lot since I moved "down heah" and (b) I'd pass it off as fried cheese, which is socially acceptable.

I was in a Brooklyn cheese store last weekend and they had a basket on the counter filled with "Mozzarella en Carrozza" - deep-fried grilled cheese sandwiches made with mozzarella. If I hadn't already bought my lunch at the pork store (Sausage rolls...delish), I would have picked up a few.

In the interest of presenting healthy eating options, my kids insist on buying peeled, cored apples every time we go to the fair. While they like the spiral cut most of all, they do start off eating well. I'm glad the little frontier cabin's near the entrance. The bees and yellow jackets appreciate the apple juice that spills on the ground, too.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 04-01-2010 at 02:20 PM.

vCash
    There was someone at the Iowa State Fair last year who ate everything that was served on a stick (and kept the sticks to show the "count"). She said over the entire course of the fair she didn't gain weight. She only ate 10-20 things a day, and walked all day long.

So doing it once, and getting exercise while you do it, might not have lasting effects.

I've been to the Texas state fair, and I want to go to the Iowa one before I move. Rogers & Hammerstein say it's the best state fair in the state

Man, now I want fried pickles. I don't think of those as fair food though- but as an appetizer. But they have to be pickle rounds, spears the "fry to pickle" ratio is all wrong.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Ice cream made by NC State from their on-campus dairy is out of this world and not costly. They were near the foot bridge and exit.
    I didn't know that - deets, please. I have a kids' birthday party coming up and that would be a real treat.
    "Howling Cow" ice cream: where to buy (you can buy pints or special-order larger quantities):
    http://www.ncsu.edu/foodscience/Pilo.../howtobuy.html

The Richmond County Fair on Staten Island is smaller-scale and lots of fun, including the rides and delicous treats. I love the racing pigs!
    I am a huge fan of the county fairs in NY, since I grew up going to them. I prefer them to the state fair down here, actually

I was in a Brooklyn cheese store last weekend and they had a basket on the counter filled with "Mozzarella en Carrozza" - deep-fried grilled cheese sandwiches made with mozzarella. If I hadn't already bought my lunch at the pork store (Sausage rolls...delish), I would have picked up a few.
    Brooklyn = food heaven.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Brooklyn = food heaven.
    Rumor has it that there's a "pork store" near Wake Forest with fresh sausages and really fresh mozzarella/smoked mozzarella. Next time I go to the Factory, I want to stop and give it a try.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Rumor has it that there's a "pork store" near Wake Forest with fresh sausages and really fresh mozzarella/smoked mozzarella.
    Somewhere within about 30 miles of Marietta there's a farm and farm store that sells the most amazing bacon and fresh sausages and all kinds of good stuff. I don't know the name or exactly where it is because our son-in-law led us there just before we left town. I filled up 3 coolers. They make it on the premises from their own livestock.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Cyn, if you get anywhere near Duluth (GA) have lunch at the Park Cafe. They have the best friend green tomatos anywhere in my experience!

And yes, okra fried very crispy with just a little flour dusting and lots of salt....that beats popcorn any day of the week, and it's good for you! Well, outside of the oil it's fried in, but if properly fried very very hot in a "healthier" vegetable oil and drained extremely well....there's not much fattening oil, either. When I fry up a batch, I use a whole bottle of vegetable oil, and I drain the left-overs back into the container when cooled to throw away more easily. I never have more than a tablespoon that actually got soaked into the 3-4 cups of sliced okra as a result of cooking--thus proving that fried foods can be not as fattening as you think.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 04-01-2010 at 08:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    What do you do with it? Is it like fried mozallella stick where it's crusty on the outside and melted on the inside? I'm sure Paula Dean would love it.
    I have no idea. I didn't see it but a friend ate it when he was there and it was reported in the news. It sounds revolting to me.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    We have a DelMarVa Chicken festival every year -- my favorite is fried chicken from this (scroll down):

http://www.worldslargestthings.com/e...afryingpan.htm

My friend's family company produced the original pan. Apparently, it was surpassed in size by some other state so they retired it and made a bigger one.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    When did Tulsa become a state?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast